Deaf Equality

BecLak

Reaction score
Deaf Equality is the Theme of the WFD Conference this year.

What equality issues would you prioritise on if given the choice? What would you put as Number 1 on your list?

Mine is: Here in Australia, I want to see Auslan widely accepted to the point of having Auslan interpretation not only in National Crisis and Emergency notifications but also on every major News Broadcast and a National Brocasting Network for Deaf. We have the SBS Network with broadcasts in various non-English languages why not Auslan too?

Many Asian countries have sign language interpretation with the News so why not Australia?

It all depend if a news station refuse to hire Sign Language interpreters with high cost as they don't want to pay for them.

Over here in USA, we still use close captioned for the news programming like local news and other news like CNN. Beside those close captioned seem to work better so we can learn about what is going on in the news.

I don't know how to use the Deaf Equality against the hearing society. You will have to explain more clearly on what you want in the Deaf Equality. I hope there will be other comments from AD members here.

Wirelessly posted

Yes, we have closed captioning for the news here too. Yet,I have seen sign language interpreters in a small video window on TVs in Thailand and some other countries in Asia when the national news is broadcasting. My thoughts are if we had that service I believe we would have higher respect for sign language.

Last edited:
how about objecting public money to implanting and put that money towards better interpreting and better Deaf Teachers?

Wirelessly posted

***running to get pickets ready**** Im in for that!!

I want to see Deaf equality when hiring people and not make phones as a reason not to hire a deaf person as there are different ways to communicate using the phone.

What equality issues would you prioritise on if given the choice? What would you put as Number 1 on your list?

Mine is: Here in Australia, I want to see Auslan widely accepted to the point of having Auslan interpretation not only in National Crisis and Emergency notifications but also on every major News Broadcast and a National Brocasting Network for Deaf. We have the SBS Network with broadcasts in various non-English languages why not Auslan too?

Many Asian countries have sign language interpretation with the News so why not Australia?

Do they not already have closed caption for the news?

Wirelessly posted

VacationGuy234 said:

Do they not already have closed caption for the news?

Yes we do (see my second post) but public tv broadcasting of sign language is limited to mostly to emergency crisis announcements. I would like to see a greater public acceptance and recognition of sign language ie : Auslan.

i want to go, but too expensive!!. crazy 750$ entry (early bird finishes today) ,the $150-300 per Night at hotels...for a week just mental.also plane fares... forget it, i just hate it when its for rich or EMPLOLYED (read the wrong kinds who does 'services job for deaf - i hate those type cuz they arent serving deaf , only themsevles!!!)...
it just F*#$#k up...
nice idea, but wrong kinds of people attends - they make me sick

i want to go, but too expensive!!. crazy 750$ entry (early bird finishes today) ,the $150-300 per Night at hotels...for a week just mental.also plane fares... forget it, i just hate it when its for rich or EMPLOLYED (read the wrong kinds who does 'services job for deaf - i hate those type cuz they arent serving deaf , only themsevles!!!)...
it just F*#$#k up...
nice idea, but wrong kinds of people attends - they make me sick

Are these wrong people interpreters?

nah, not interpreters, just professionals who are hypocrites

Even "hypocrites" have to earn a living. I'm sure that price is on par if a person was to translate Spanish for any length of time. Like everyone else, you're paying for their education, their training, the complexity of the material, and their time. Interpreting isn't a full time job so they can't afford to work for charity, and charity begins at home remember....

Laura

Even "hypocrites" have to earn a living. I'm sure that price is on par if a person was to translate Spanish for any length of time. Like everyone else, you're paying for their education, their training, the complexity of the material, and their time. Interpreting isn't a full time job so they can't afford to work for charity, and charity begins at home remember....

Laura

not just that, its the talks, and in reality they feel good at conferences then back to home to their 'jobs' and back to oppressing real Deaf people...the oralist 'who can sign and write' becomes what the hearies was and doing what they did to us for the last 30-40 years......

not just that, its the talks, and in reality they feel good at conferences then back to home to their 'jobs' and back to oppressing real Deaf people...the oralist 'who can sign and write' becomes what the hearies was and doing what they did to us for the last 30-40 years......

People can't "oppress" you without your permission...and it sounds like your color coating everyone with the same brush without knowing any of them personally.

People can't "oppress" you without your permission...and it sounds like your color coating everyone with the same brush without knowing any of them personally.

??

Of course the more powerful can oppress under classes.

what??!

Please don't tell me that I don't know what is oppression!, I know exactly what it is, more-so I'm a POST GRAD STUDENT in SOCIOLOGY

Well-meaning some might but they haven't got a clue what it operates, its not personal, its 'business' - that is the business of service providing to the Deaf community.., 'good client' and 'good staff'...'budget'...'appropriate behaviour'...'what do you want from us?' questions that creates a brick wall to clients they are at odds...it's just SICK...oh another one, a very common one 'I'm too busy to help find you jobs" WHILE their job description details as a employment consultant!!...list goes on and on

Wirelessly posted

Yes we do (see my second post) but public tv broadcasting of sign language is limited to mostly to emergency crisis announcements. I would like to see a greater public acceptance and recognition of sign language ie : Auslan.

Just my 2 cents... Putting a sign language box on newscasts isn't going to gain acceptance. It is just going to irritate people. With cc people can turn it off.

Just my 2 cents... Putting a sign language box on newscasts isn't going to gain acceptance. It is just going to irritate people. With cc people can turn it off.

i actually agree with this one...BUT to do away with 'needs for terps on news' we need to actually bloody educate d/Deaf people properly...and this means...NOT to measure spoken English for written English lessions...grrr, the sooner those audist education systems realise this, then a whole lot better Deaf education can be well expected
that's My 2 cents!

I prefer CC for TV shows and movies because it is extremely hard for me to see separation between interpreter and TV screen.

The interpreter may useful for news that don't contain any important drama or picture motion that you must understand.

For example.

Shameless, Dexter, Shipping Wars, Border Wars, Longmire, Cops, Ridiculousness, Locked Up Abroad, True Blood, Banshee, Lizard Lick Towing, South Beach Towing, Veep, Operation Repo, True Life - all contain important motion picture so best with CC to understand.

The news from CNN? Real Time with Bill Maher? the sign interpreter is useful because they don't contain much important picture motion that you need pay attention.

how about objecting public money to implanting and put that money towards better interpreting and better Deaf Teachers?
I'd say money should be put into literacy regardless of communication method and Deaf children regardless of communication methods should be held to the same standards as hearing children.

Back