Deaf Equality

I'd say money should be put into literacy regardless of communication method and Deaf children regardless of communication methods should be held to the same standards as hearing children.

that was my point too

I guess the main point I would like to make here is that the Deaf Community needs to be made more visible to the public (especially in Australia) if we are ever to have true equality and acceptance. The public cannot be educated unless they can see it in front of them.

that was my point too

The thing is that the local deaf schools consider themselves a complete success if their graduates can ride the city busses without help. If that is the bar for Deaf education, we are screwed.

Graduates of Deaf schools should be held to the same standards as hearing students. Fluency in written English is a must (the old excuse of "ASL is my native language" isn't going to work. People must be able to understand what we write.)
Really, unless there is some sort of additional mental handicap, "life skills" classes shouldn't count towards a hgh school degree.
Once we start holding deaf students to higher standards, we might be surprised at how much they can accomplish.

The thing is that the local deaf schools consider themselves a complete success if their graduates can ride the city busses without help. If that is the bar for Deaf education, we are screwed.

Graduates of Deaf schools should be held to the same standards as hearing students. Fluency in written English is a must (the old excuse of "ASL is my native language" isn't going to work. People must be able to understand what we write.)
Really, unless there is some sort of additional mental handicap, "life skills" classes shouldn't count towards a hgh school degree.
Once we start holding deaf students to higher standards, we might be surprised at how much they can accomplish.

yes yes i agree, and not just the student's excuses, but also the bloody teachers excuses...'they speak ASL so its too hard to teach them writing in English...right there i see it all the time and its BULLSHIT...those teachers shouldn't be there, they need go teaching hearing kids, and replace it was better teachers in a better set up<<I'm not gonna argue about this at lengths , not here

I am the same shoes as BecLak with the auslan interpreters in emergency broadcast, we had these for the QLD floods twice in the recent past. NSW Floods didn't even bother providing, despite high number of deaf residents.

Speaking of WFD, I and my wife, Sharlene will be there in Sydney for the conference :mrgreen:

Many deaf people use ASL as first language and use English as second language, so make more difficult to become completely expert in English.

I had took numerous English courses (even, college level) but didn't have success outcome and my grammar isn't great. I had to depend on writing center to pass the English course.

Literature? Forget it.

Many deaf people use ASL as first language and use English as second language, so make more difficult to become completely expert in English.

I had took numerous English courses (even, college level) but didn't have success outcome and my grammar isn't great. I had to depend on writing center to pass the English course.

Literature? Forget it.

Not to worry Foxrac, People don't need to be an English scholar to communicate even in written form to the everyday person you may meet on the street. I believe when public awareness increases they, the public, will realize that communicating with a Deaf person in even basic of sign is mainly comprised of what often makes sense (I mentioned this in another thread) if they would only push through the barrier of immediately giving up with the excuse 'I don't know sign language' or to be patient and courteous enough to use the written form of English or whatever spoken language it may be.

Back