Deaf Education - One size does not fit all

You can try to twist it around any way you want to, but you can't get past the fact that it is an oral method

jillio - By your definition then so is kissing and whistling.

jillio - By your definition then so is kissing and whistling.

Of course they are. But they are also non-verbal methods of communication, which CS is not. Without verbally based communication, CS has nothing to represent. So what exactly, is your point?

Loml, u are obviously a bright deaf person but maybe with a toooo strong of a one-track mind? I have an one-track mind but u beat me hands down! :giggle:

I respectfully disagree, It isn't about the family, it's about the deaf child. Tell me why a deaf child is forced to learn the family's language? This is a very difficult task. It's like telling a handicapped child to walk because the whole family walks. They should find a better and more effective way to communicate even if the hearing parents/family have to learn a whole new language. The difference between a hearing and a deaf child is that spoken and signed languages use dfferent modalities. In the case of the hearing children, they use their hearing mode. In the case of deaf children, they use the visual or seeing mode. So, You cannot expect a deaf child to learn the family's language. It sounds unfair in my opinion.

Wow very good postie sis, I absolutely agreed!!! :gpost:

Loml, u are obviously a bright deaf person but maybe with a toooo strong of a one-track mind? I have an one-track mind but u beat me hands down! :giggle:

After all these months? Lol, Loml is hearing and a female!

OOPS! Then why all this talk about "finding CS"? Although, I suppose we should have all realized it, given the posts. So, when loml discounts the experiences of the deaf on this forum that have used CS, we now know that it is just one more case of a hearie who refuses to listen.:giggle:

I have to admit, I though loml was HOH. This puts things in a whole different perspective. Makes a lot of sense.

OOPS! Then why all this talk about "finding CS"? Although, I suppose we should have all realized it, given the posts. So, when loml discounts the experiences of the deaf on this forum that have used CS, we now know that it is just one more case of a hearie who refuses to listen.:giggle:

I have to admit, I though loml was HOH. This puts things in a whole different perspective. Makes a lot of sense.

jillio - I do not discount the experiences on this forum who have used CS. I simply ask for details of their experiences. There is much that you do not realize given my posts, but that does not surprise me.

I do find your comments typical for a hearing parent of a deaf child who has chosen the path that you have.

Of course they are. But they are also non-verbal methods of communication, which CS is not. Without verbally based communication, CS has nothing to represent. So what exactly, is your point?

Actually jillio, Cued speech need not be verbal, as in voiced: doesn't really support you analogy.

2c - With the assumptions that have been made regarding my "hearing status", although truly judgemental, I do find the approach of some individuals very disconcerting, but at the same time so typical. :dunno:

Cued Speech can/does give a deaf child from a hearing family access to their families language. Myself, I consider this a fabulous gift of early intervention.

Isn't the family learning ASL a great gift TO a deaf child FROM a hearing family? If they start when the kid is a baby and keep learning, the parents could have good ASL skills when the kid is a few years old and then the kid and parents maybe are fluent. What a great gift! Since the hearing world doesn't give deaf kids a lot of gifts about language and communication :roll: and the deaf kid struggles with communication the whole life, parents learning ASL seems great - they will know the language of Deaf culture and learning the struggle to communicate.

jillio - I do not discount the experiences on this forum who have used CS. I simply ask for details of their experiences. There is much that you do not realize given my posts, but that does not surprise me.

I do find your comments typical for a hearing parent of a deaf child who has chosen the path that you have.

Would you care to expand on that? Exactly what path are you referring to?

And, yes, loml, you do discount the experiences of the deaf on thisboard who have been exposed to CS. Anytime one mentions ineffectiveness of the system from their experience, your reply implies that it had to be the way it was taught, the way it was used, the individual's inability or unwillingness to use the system, anything butthe fact that after 40 years there is stillno empirical evidence, and very very little anecdotal evidence, that CS is effective.

The fact that you are female doesn't impact perceptions in any way. The fact that you are hearing does. CS is system that has always been assumed to be more effective by the hearing proponents than by the deaf users. Your continual portrayal as CS as a panacea is infinitely more understandable given the fact that you are hearing. No more accurate, but indeed, more understandable.

Isn't the family learning ASL a great gift TO a deaf child FROM a hearing family? If they start when the kid is a baby and keep learning, the parents could have good ASL skills when the kid is a few years old and then the kid and parents maybe are fluent. What a great gift! Since the hearing world doesn't give deaf kids a lot of gifts about language and communication :roll: and the deaf kid struggles with communication the whole life, parents learning ASL seems great - they will know the language of Deaf culture and learning the struggle to communicate.

:gpost:

Actually jillio, Cued speech need not be verbal, as in voiced: doesn't really support you analogy.

Once again, loml, without oral language, CS has nothing to represent. It is a representation of a verbally based language. Verbal does not imply voiced. Verbal language is identical to oral language. Verbal=oral. Are you being purposely obtuse, or do you really not understand the language you are using? No matter which way you try to paint it, loml, you cannot get around the fact that CS is a method to convey that which is oral/verbal/auditory. As I stated before, you do not cue sign now, do you? Perhaps you wiould do well to go back and re-read the intent of Dr. Cornett in developing the system.

People who use “cued speech” speak English and read lips, but they augment that by using hand signals to differentiate some sounds, such as those of the letters B and P, that are hard for lip readers to distinguish.

Here you go loml. From one of your very own posts. Now would you please explain how it is not an orally (verbally) based method?

Back