Deaf culture

Brownie

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls
I am currently an ASL student,and i am searching for a good artical on "Deaf culture" my teacher would like me to read a good article on "Deaf culture" and write a 2 page response report to the article...Does anyone know of any good articles online that I could use??? The report is due thursday and I can't seem to find any good articles. I'm cutting it real close!! thanks!

Did you try Googling it? Do a search for "deaf culture". Yes, include the quotes. ;)

Brownie said:
Hey guys/girls
I am currently an ASL student,and i am searching for a good artical on "Deaf culture" my teacher would like me to read a good article on "Deaf culture" and write a 2 page response report to the article...Does anyone know of any good articles online that I could use??? The report is due thursday and I can't seem to find any good articles. I'm cutting it real close!! thanks!

*knock* *knock*

Did you check this thread?

http://alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=16103

Deaf culture? What’s that? Is that like when they make yogurt with deaf bacteria? :dunno:

Lev.....would it help your palate if the word was, "cult" instead? LOL!

Last edited:
Oh! You’re talking about The Cult of the Deaf! Why didn’t you say so? I LOVED that movie. Boris Karloff ROCKED in that film—he was truly one of a kind. Does anybody know if the DVD is subtitled?

Another really good movie is Deaf Man Walking. Did y’all see that one? It was very thought provoking—it really opened up my eyes to the issue of capital punishment.

Speaking of good movies, has anyone watched Sound and Fury? It is a documentary, (sounds boring, but it's not) about a family deciding whether or not to get cochlear implants. It was the first time I had seen a deaf child of deaf parents wanting an implant, and a CODA talking about getting one for her son. This movie doesn't talk A LOT about deaf culture, but you could definitely write two pages about it.
I think anyone considering getting a CI, for themselves, their children, whoever, should watch this movie first.

signer16 said:
Speaking of good movies, has anyone watched Sound and Fury?
Yes, I saw that on TV. It was very interesting.

Levonian said:
Deaf culture? What’s that? Is that like when they make yogurt with deaf bacteria? :dunno:

According to Dr. Stika, Deaf culture is 2 percent of the entire deaf society.

Richard

Thats right!

Richard is right about only 2 percent are part of the deaf culture.

Deaf258 said:
Care to back that statement with a link to a valid source?

2% seems extremely low. Harlan Lane puts the figure at about 25%, which to me seems to be far closer to the true figure. Obviously, which figure you accept depends heavily on your definition of ‘culturally Deaf.’ My definition of ‘culturally Deaf’ applies to a deaf person who knows ASL, knows other deaf people, and takes at least some interest in the Deaf community as a whole; even if that only consists of subscribing to a message board or newsletter, or going to an occasional Deaf public function. Using this criteria, I find it difficult to accept the notion that only 1 out of every 50 deaf people can be categorized this way.

Also don't you have to take geography into context? A deaf person raised orally in some rural area without other deaf people around probably isn't even going to have the option to be involved in Deaf culture, whereas if you live in places like Northern or Southern California or Washington D.C., you have many possibilities open to you.

What percentage of people who don't have Deaf culture available to them and don't even know it exists would LIKE to be involved if possible? Isn't that significant?

I don't see how you can slap a percentage on this and have it mean anything.

Back