Deaf culture topic ideas

Div_Div

Reaction score
I am a beginning ASL student and would like to write my English paper on an issue relevant in the deaf community. I have not had a lot of time to spend with the deaf community as I have just begun but I would love for any of your ideas on a topic I could write about. It can be an issue that needs to be resolved within the deaf culture or issues that have opposing viewpoints. I have tried several ways to look up information for a topic but haven't found one that really strikes me as a topic that I should write about. I thank you all in advance for your help.

An interesting topic to explore: the impact of Cochlear Implants since say 1980.

Implanted Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

An interesting topic to explore: the impact of Cochlear Implants since say 1980.

That's got lots of opposing view points and is sure to start a fight!:lol:

But to the student, you should really just sift through old thread where you can find plenty of information.

Isn't that the point of the exercise Bottesini? More relevant than the latest on Zombies?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Isn't that the point of the exercise Bottesini? More relevant than the latest on Zombies?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I love Zombies! But you are actually correct.

Not really relevent when exploring issues important to those that are culturally Deaf, especially since CI users make up a very small minority of the deaf/Deaf, and most still require many of the same accommodations that the culturally Deaf need in society.

Much more relevant would be the issue of accommodation.

Emergency safety planning for the deaf community is a big deal here in hurricane country. That might be an interesting topic.

Maybe this thread should be retitled: Let's come up with ideas for new threads....??

I wrote about CIs for a paper about inventions and their impact on society. A large portion of the paper (like, two thirds) was over the Hearing vs. Deaf viewpoints of it. I got a 91%.

Not really relevent when exploring issues important to those that are culturally Deaf, especially since CI users make up a very small minority of the deaf/Deaf, and most still require many of the same accommodations that the culturally Deaf need in society.

Much more relevant would be the issue of accommodation.

Very good point.

Also about perspectives?

Emergency safety planning for the deaf community is a big deal here in hurricane country. That might be an interesting topic.

I can relate. I don't live in a hurricane-prone area, but do a tornado-prone area. Luckily for me, I own a 4-level home in which the 4th level is completely underground. A portion of that is exposed by an egress window, but a portion of it is not, and is under the garage. That is where I'll be going in case of a tornado touching down here.

But, one time I had a police officer stop by my house -- turns out the next door neighbor's alarm was going off, and the alarm company gave them the wrong address (mine!) Once we cleared that up, they had been realizing that I was deaf. They asked me if the police department was aware of that, and I said no. He got stern with me and said I should call to get that in their computers.

So far I haven't. Other than a 911 call, I'm not sure what good informing them of that does. In the case of a tornado, they're not going to be rushing to my house to save me. ?

Deaf and deaf
deaf schools and mainstreamed schools
deaf kids of deaf parents v. hearing kids of deaf parents
etc

Thank you SO much for all of the ideas. At first I was thinking cochlear implants as well because that is a widely debated topic but then I started thinking that I wanted to write about something more important. Something that needs to be further addressed between hearing individuals and the Deaf culture. Honestly, before I decided to take ASL classes I didn't know anything about Deaf culture. I picked up a book yesterday to learn more, it's from one of the professors at Gaulladet and it's about the things that most hearing people don't know or ever take the time to learn about the Deaf community. I love it so far. So accommodations and advocacy is something I'm looking into. Anything that the Deaf community wants to have change? I know that I wish a lot more hearing people took the time to look at the culture of the Deaf, I have found it very interesting and profound. I never took the time until now to look into the crap you all have had to go through because of ignorant hearing people. I'm hoping I can find a topic that will open the eyes of my instructor and hopefully my class. Again, thank you for the time you take responding to my thread. Anything given is very helpful. :)

As you read more about Deaf culture, you may be surprised that a lot of Deaf people don't really have much interest in hearing people helping or what their interest is.

As you read more about Deaf culture, you may be surprised that a lot of Deaf people don't really have much interest in hearing people helping or what their interest is.

I don't know what you mean by hearing people helping the Deaf. I'm not implying that any of the Deaf community needs a hearing individual's help. I'm simply stating the fact that their is a huge gap between the two cultures and that growing up, I have never heard about the Deaf culture or met a Deaf person until now. Higher Deaf awareness would be great. But the ideas for topics I just mean relevant issues that the Deaf community views as needing changed or better addressed. I don't want to come off as seeming that I think any Deaf individual needs help from the hearing because I don't believe that at all. I'm excited everyday about the new information I'm finding out about the Deaf community and the individuals I get to interact with. I hope this doesn't seem like it's coming off wrong, I appreciate all of your help.

Yeah, that always comes as a surprise!:lol:

I don't know what you mean by hearing people helping the Deaf. I'm not implying that any of the Deaf community needs a hearing individual's help. I'm simply stating the fact that their is a huge gap between the two cultures and that growing up, I have never heard about the Deaf culture or met a Deaf person until now. Higher Deaf awareness would be great. But the ideas for topics I just mean relevant issues that the Deaf community views as needing changed or better addressed. I don't want to come off as seeming that I think any Deaf individual needs help from the hearing because I don't believe that at all. I'm excited everyday about the new information I'm finding out about the Deaf community and the individuals I get to interact with. I hope this doesn't seem like it's coming off wrong, I appreciate all of your help.

I don't know how you mean it. It makes me feel like an exotic zoo animal.

I think she's saying she'd like to help bridge the gap between the Deaf and the Hearies. And it's the Hearies that will need the most "work" to bring this about.

Back