Deaf Culture question

Grayma

Reaction score
I know the Deaf are blunt and to the point, and I think I understand why.

But is it really acceptable/normal in Deaf culture to:

Respond to a compliment about your shirt by asking somebody what size they wear (in front of other people) and then share your opinion of that size.

Ask somebody who just bought a house how much they paid for it, and then make remarks about how you think that's too much money.

I feel sign gets to the point faster if you want to call that blunt.
But asking the questions you outlined is not a deaf or hearie thing is called rude and nosy but that is just being an inconsiderate human. I could go on for hours but everyone here has been ask an embarrassing question before and lets face it sign is a bit more noticeable that a hearie whispering.

I feel sign gets to the point faster if you want to call that blunt.
But asking the questions you outlined is not a deaf or hearie thing is called rude and nosy but that is just being an inconsiderate human. I could go on for hours but everyone here has been ask an embarrassing question before and lets face it sign is a bit more noticeable that a hearie whispering.

That made me laugh.

So is there a way to sign, "None of your business" that isn't rude?

And good morning to you, too!

I know the Deaf are blunt and to the point, and I think I understand why.

But is it really acceptable/normal in Deaf culture to:

Respond to a compliment about your shirt by asking somebody what size they wear (in front of other people) and then share your opinion of that size.

Ask somebody who just bought a house how much they paid for it, and then make remarks about how you think that's too much money.

If you find people within the culture offensive, then you could stay away from them, not try to change the norms and values of a culture that has managed to thrive.

Yes, questions like the house are fairly common. It's how we learn and get information.

Finger spell "NOYB", or a negative sign and business. Always straight to the point, extend the second finger and they will get the hint but I also understand that is more for when your in motion and driving (at least around Cheyenne). Seriously, I carry a pen and pad with me, mainly for hearies but also private questions.

That made me laugh.

So is there a way to sign, "None of your business" that isn't rude?

And good morning to you, too!

Speaking of being rude, how about this one when it comes to questions on Deaf culture? Let's say a couple with one wearing a hearing aid and the other one a cochlear implant walk into an eatery section inside a mall, say Mall of Georgia, and come across a huge group (say 80 people) of Deaf people signing away during their monthly get-together. The couple continues to talk and order food and then proceed to the nearest table amongst the crowd of Deaf people and others. They sit down and begin their conversations between themselves using only their voice. Would this be considered rude by Deaf people for them to talk verbally in a public place filled with Deaf people?

Is it rude of us to sit in Red Lobster and sign? Or is it rude for the others to watch with interest of us signing. I can read lips about 85% most hearies cannot understand sign, which side is rude there. Is it rude to ask an honest question about culture? Or is it rude to have your head bitten off for asking?

If you find people within the culture offensive, then you could stay away from them, not try to change the norms and values of a culture that has managed to thrive.

Yes, questions like the house are fairly common. It's how we learn and get information.

You misunderstood me. I don't find the bluntness (or directness) offensive. I did not say that I did. I also wasn't the person asked.

Though, of course, it's not true that you have ask somebody you barely know how much they paid for thier house in order to get information. You can find out about house values in the newspaper or on the internet.

But wasn't just a question about the house- the question was followed by extensive negative commentary. I'm still not offended, but I am trying to put some pieces together and figure something out.

Also, I should have added teh smiley face for my question about how to sign "It's none of your business." I was joking.

Back