Deaf Culture in India

Sosie

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2VsUeqZxs[/ame]

Wow.. That's cool!!!

fixed link for you, Sosie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2VsUeqZxs]YouTube - Deaf Culture in India[/ame]

Sosie - I just watched the whole thing. Thanks for sharing this! it's a great reminder for us about our past. They're going thru what we did long time ago.

Progression! Keep on truckin'!

Interesting that they see oral deaf ed as a barrier just like many of us do here in America.

Sosie - I just watched the whole thing. Thanks for sharing this! it's a great reminder for us about our past. They're going thru what we did long time ago.

Progression! Keep on truckin'!

It was on my Facebook page. So, I decided to post it in here.

A deaf friend of mine asked this deaf fellow a question - Can deaf people drive?
His reply: "Yes, they can drive well but the Government of India prohibited providing driver license. At the present, we applied PIL to Supreme Court. We are waiting for approval. Thanks."

I wish them the best of luck!!!!

Interesting. We learn something new everyday about deaf cultures. :ty: for sharing, Sosie.

Would anyone be willing to give a transcript or summary of the video? :ty::ty:

I visited India earlier this year on a placement as part of my nursing course. An Indian nurse asked me 'What have you got in your ears?', she either did not know what BTE HAs are, or she was amazed that the UK is willing to train deaf people to do nursing!

I am very impressed with the video of the Indian Deaf Culture. That is the way we are suppose to do as a Deaf person who insist on using the sign language like ASL or ISL (Indian Sign Language). Back in the old days we were not allowed to have this few accommodations. I am glad that in India they can have the opportunity to have this Deaf Culture for them. Hurrah!!! I wish we had the full freedom of using this few accommodations for us. The audists always make excuses that they could not provided us for this special needs. Thank-you for showing this video, Sosie. :D

:ty: for sharing... i am new to the deaf world actually.... this is great help for my 'deaf culture' studies.... thanks again :)

Would anyone be willing to give a transcript or summary of the video? :ty::ty:

Indian Sign Language. It began with 3 people introducing themselves with their Indian sign name. Next - it gave us a few scenarios on how to get attention by tapping on the arm. Next - "Barrier Environment." Back in 1980's, it was an oral education - a class where the teacher does not sign. Next - "Communication Gap." They had to depend on hearing to make phone call for them. Another scenario - this deafie having trouble trying to communicate with hearing via pen & note but still difficult. Another scenario - a deafie trying to communicate with the hearing local. Another scenario - 2 deaf friends were talking and then got split up but this guy didn't know he's walking wrong way. You gotta run after him! Another scenario - a hearing father said good bye to deaf son and left. Son locked the door and resumed to whatever he was doing. the father forgot something so he went back home but he realized that his son cannot hear. there was no visual alerting device.

Next - "Barrier Free Environment." in 2009's, there was a significant improvement. a classroom with teacher who signs. a cellphone that sends text message. a computer with webcam for video conference and instant messaging program. an interpreter for deaf to communicate with hearing people. a home equipped with flashing light to let him know somebody's ringing doorbell. there are deaf clubs in India.

Thank you for watching. A film by Members of The Deaf Way

Indian Sign Language. It began with 3 people introducing themselves with their Indian sign name. Next - it gave us a few scenarios on how to get attention by tapping on the arm. Next - "Barrier Environment." Back in 1980's, it was an oral education - a class where the teacher does not sign. Next - "Communication Gap." They had to depend on hearing to make phone call for them. Another scenario - this deafie having trouble trying to communicate with hearing via pen & note but still difficult. Another scenario - a deafie trying to communicate with the hearing local. Another scenario - 2 deaf friends were talking and then got split up but this guy didn't know he's walking wrong way. You gotta run after him! Another scenario - a hearing father said good bye to deaf son and left. Son locked the door and resumed to whatever he was doing. the father forgot something so he went back home but he realized that his son cannot hear. there was no visual alerting device.

Next - "Barrier Free Environment." in 2009's, there was a significant improvement. a classroom with teacher who signs. a cellphone that sends text message. a computer with webcam for video conference and instant messaging program. an interpreter for deaf to communicate with hearing people. a home equipped with flashing light to let him know somebody's ringing doorbell. there are deaf clubs in India.

Thank you for watching. A film by Members of The Deaf Way

Thanks so much Jiro! :ty::ty:

That sounds like a great video. :)

Wow, that's interesting about Deaf Culture in India. Like Jiro say it is a great reminder for us about our past. Thank you for sharing this video, Sosie. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Me, too, I am learning something new every day but it reminded me of that a deaf woman who was staying at my old apartment for two years for her medical purposes. (One day, she woke up, deaf, without any ill. She decided to fly to Boston, to have her ears checked, etc. None didn't work. How sad!) She doesn't know any signs (she speaks very well just like hearing..) and she told me that the Government of India wasn't allowed deaf people to drive and also, they were not allowed deaf people to work, etc. That was in 1987. (I forgot all about it.)

Thanks so much for giving CJB a transcript, Jiro!

Back