Deaf culture - do's and don'ts, etc. Let's make a list!

anymore than we cant hear their farts

some farts are loud, some are squeaks, others are grates, and some are snaps
but we cant hear those, (if not properly, all depends on your hearing profile)
but we can discern various smells... like..

so different farts comes along as sweet, vulgar, gaseous lilke ethane or methane (which it is), and sometimes reeking of curry or vegatables

:lol:

come on frisk, lighten up

i can hear SOME, not all of those disgusting farts. haha im sorry if i could not able to get myself lighten up. :eek3:

Grummer is a connoisseur of farts! Who knew? :rofl2:

I'm happy to educate people. But there are days when I don't have the energy or I'm not in the mood. I shouldn't be forced into the position of the educator just cause I have a "disability."

Right...that's how I feel. I cant do it all the time. Sorry.

I suppose it could be added that; dont sign about farts descriptions or its effects!, hearing people seem to pick it up, as it is a kind universal symbolic system in silence (they tell each other in silence in places like lifts behind people's backs)..unless of course if you can sign in extremely elaborated manner which poetically describes the nose of farts...the hearies would never know as long as just you dont flutter your hand as 'its under my nose'...

My experience is that in SOME hearing cultures, it's rude to point. Hispanic and some Asian cultures seem to have the biggest problems with it. One of my best friends is from the Philippines, and she told me that instead of pointing with their fingers, they point with their lips! :giggle: It's a bit difficult to describe, but now that she's said it, I see it happen a lot. They'll purse their lips towards the person they'd otherwise be pointing to, inclining their neck in that person's direction, as well.

I never used to give it much thought, until she told me that. Now that I'm learing ASL, it complicates things, due to ASL indexing, etc.

This is really rude for most black people as well. It is perceived as threatening.

Please don't...

-pinch or tickle me from behind to get my attention (you'll regret it later, I promise)
-ask me what its like being hard of hearing.
-assume that I know a lot of D/deaf and Hearing Impaired people
-say "oh never mind" after repeating something 3 or 4 times. If it wasn't important, then you shouldn't have said anything at all.
-tell me my voice sounds "funny." Har Har Har, I sound hilarious.
-tell me I have tubes coming out of my ears (good sleuthing Sherlock :roll:)

Please...

-be patient
-be understanding
-meet me in quieter places than bars and busy cafes
-face me, so I can read lips

id say probably one of the least likable addition to the list is; never ever assume a deaf person unqualified to be a Deaf person, and by the same token never assume '"Deaf" people have less than "deaf" peoples in terms of oppression. It is likely that deaf people would have more exposures to rudeness from hearing peoples, in so saying this, ostracising deaf people on the basis of the misguided reference of 'culture' is deafinitely (pun intended) not Deaf culture.
To assume a deaf person unqualified to be identified as a Deaf person is just as bad as how a hearing person assumes a d/Deaf person unqualified/unsuitable for inclusion. Every deaf person has potential to be Deaf, as does every deaf/Deaf person has potential to be fully included in the hearing world. Instead of reacting, making barriers let's start trying break it down!.

Here's one: Don't call out my name from a distance and then get mad at me for "ignoring" you! You know I can't hear you!

:whistle:

:hmm:
Never come up behind me and scare the crap out of me
Don't expect me to hear you from behind
Forget car conversations, I can't follow
Look at me when you talk
If i'm with someone don't humilate me by talking to them instead
Don't ignore me because of your lack of patience
If your in a store and wondering why I don't hear you ask me to move my cart then just move it yourself:laugh2:

I'm cracking up here at Grummers post:laugh2:

I left something out. Don't take it personally when i'm staring at your face all the time. I may or may not like you but the point is I have to stare to figure out what your saying.

Never come up behind me and scare the crap out of me

My hubby did this while I was putting away dishes and I broke a whole bunch of bowls. Scared me to death! He learned his lesson and now he makes sure that I know he's coming into a room before he does.

I'm cracking up here at Grummers post:laugh2:

I left something out. Don't take it personally when i'm staring at your face all the time. I may or may not like you but the point is I have to stare to figure out what your saying.

what's so funny? seems you dont get it

My hubby did this while I was putting away dishes and I broke a whole bunch of bowls. Scared me to death! He learned his lesson and now he makes sure that I know he's coming into a room before he does.

That's what my hubby did except it wasn't dishes. H scared the crap out of me while I had the coffee pot in my hand. He ended up getting scalded with 8 cups of hot fresh coffee. I don't think he will try that again. He tends to flash the light before enterring any room. If it's too bright, he get a little red pen light that teachers use and gets my attention that way.:giggle:

wow, this is a really long thread and a lot of great information!
I read most of the comments
It's difficult as a hearing person to know what the best ways are to catch someones attention. Usually I will wave and smile and wave them over and write something down. I've been reading books about certain things to do like facing toward them (seems obvious). I never thought it would bother anyone if I tapped them on the shoulder, or placed my hand on their shoulder. I would never think to throw something.

As far as someone saying good for you for going to college, people say that to a lot of people, hearing or deaf, it IS good!

I can see where your frustrations come from. I will prob do things some people don't mind and others can't stand, I will try my best to ask and communicate as best I can, just let me know so I can be specific to your needs if we ever are in contact.

Patience goes both ways :)

I can see where your frustrations come from. I will prob do things some people don't mind and others can't stand

Yeah, as you can see just from this board there will always be things that some people hate although others prefer it. As a basic rule, anything that would piss you off -- like having someone throw something at you! -- is probably best to avoid :)

I work at a grocery store and had a couple of deaf courtesy clerks, they never had a chance to tell me whether they preferred one way I did things or others, but they never seemed irritated.

Are most deaf people irritated with hearing people in general, because we deal with daily life in different ways. I will be the first to admit I take hearing for granted sometimes and am now in a position that I'm thinking more in terms of how deaf people would feel. It's not easy.

Someone mentioned not liking it when a person waves their pen around when they are talking to someone else, that's not something you can help, I mean the person doing it prob has no idea they are and it's a way most everyone communicates. I can't think of a single person that I talk to that doesn't move their hands while they are talking. It's just one of those things.

I can see if they were talking to you and you can't hear them, you wonder if they are trying to sign or just waving around uncessarily, but you'll have your answer failry quickly I'd imagine.

Most everything on here is what not to do, and I will do my best to remember, I do however remember what TO do, much easier :)

Back