Deaf Criminal Justice

violet

Reaction score
I didn't really know which to post this thread on.. so I thought this would be the best place. ( if not Mods you know what to do ;) )
Anyway...
I'm curious to know your opinion on..
Should deaf criminals get the same punishment for a crime.. as would a hearing person?
I've talked about this with a few others... but I would like your opinion please and thank you :)

Your thread is fine where it is right now. :)

Yes, any deaf people committing any kind of crimes should be given the same that hearing people get for the crimes they have done.

yes of course. same thing for drivers getting pulled over for speeding. both deaf and hearing drivers will get the same penalty.

Deaf people shouldn't be treated differently from hearing people.

Unlike hearing people, some deaf people may need bit more of assistance like getting interpreters/translators in court.

They committed a crime. They shouldn't be given any special treatment for what they did.

They should be extradited to Norway where the Norway people will be like "ffs, we'll take the dude just so he won't have to suffer in your prisons."

But other than that, why should there be any difference?

Deaf people shouldn't be treated differently from hearing people.

Unlike hearing people, some deaf people may need bit more of assistance like getting interpreters/translators in court.
I have no problem with that. Deaf defendents deserve access to all court services for their defense and appeals. But when it's time for sentencing they should get the same as hearing.

I have no problem with that. Deaf defendents deserve access to all court services for their defense and appeals. But when it's time for sentencing they should get the same as hearing.

"They Should" Yes.

But I would use my deafness to try to beat some of it.

Yeah, I think in most cases, deaf criminals should not be treated differently. I say most cases, because what if a crime was accidentally committed due to communication breakdown?

What if the judge says "This is a message to the deaf community that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated?"

I personally think we all should be treated equally... being deaf doesn't really impair us that much... we're pretty much the same as Hearing people except for hearing loss.

Back