Deaf Churches...where are they hiding?

donotfeedbsugar

Reaction score
Good Morning.

B here coming at you with this burning question....Where are the deaf churches? Now, I reside in Maryland and so far....there are none here...or are they? So far as I have done my research there are deaf churches in VA or DC but just wanted to get more information as to if there are any MORE deaf churches. So as you can see, I did some research on deaf churches but are there any in the tri-state area that you frequent? Please let me know...AND THANKS!!!

Didn't help me unless I want to drive 2-3 hours away. Botti mentioned a local church, but I ain't Baptist nor will I ever be. I muddle through. A friend take a lot of notes for me.

Didn't help me unless I want to drive 2-3 hours away. Botti mentioned a local church, but I ain't Baptist nor will I ever be. I muddle through. A friend take a lot of notes for me.

There are only 300 churches for the deaf of any demonination in the country or so I'm told.

I remember years ago I used to go the the First Baptist church in Richmond. I met one woman there and I remember thinking to myself that if i didn't know better I would have sworn she's a Quaker.

Later I became roommates with a Deaf woman who was raised Catholitic. She also went to that church. She told me the other deaf woman indeed was a Quaker and she still considered herself a Quaker even though she went to the First Baptist Church.

it interest nice story. I have deaf pastor same location but I have ready go to church religion church who is big increase people last year 92 or 100, I hope be coming more increase more big final I am exciting about to go to camping fun I wish be open mind. never hiding. It is awkward to study learn more ASL. interpreter hiring also I plan go to there :) on summer

There are only 300 churches for the deaf of any demonination in the country or so I'm told.

I remember years ago I used to go the the First Baptist church in Richmond. I met one woman there and I remember thinking to myself that if i didn't know better I would have sworn she's a Quaker.

Later I became roommates with a Deaf woman who was raised Catholitic. She also went to that church. She told me the other deaf woman indeed was a Quaker and she still considered herself a Quaker even though she went to the First Baptist Church.

But the Southern Baptist Convention is the largest Protestant denomination in the United States, although the Mormons are very close behind. Doesn't matter though. There is only one deaf church in my state but I would have to drive 4 hours to get there. Obviously I don't have the money for that, nor do a lot of people.

I'm southern baptist but for obvious reasons I can't claim to be 100% SBC all the way through. Mostly because I honestly share very little with those in my congregation except for a small handful and even then the only thing we share is the fact the we work in the poultry business, albeit for different companies and for different wages and have different positions within those companies.

But the Southern Baptist Convention is the largest Protestant denomination in the United States, although the Mormons are very close behind. Doesn't matter though. There is only one deaf church in my state but I would have to drive 4 hours to get there. Obviously I don't have the money for that, nor do a lot of people.

I'm southern baptist but for obvious reasons I can't claim to be 100% SBC all the way through. Mostly because I honestly share very little with those in my congregation except for a small handful and even then the only thing we share is the fact the we work in the poultry business, albeit for different companies and for different wages and have different positions within those companies.

I grew up Southern Baptist myself.

There is only one deaf church in my state but I would have to drive 4 hours to get there. Obviously I don't have the money for that, nor do a lot of people.
Dixie, there are quite a few more than one deaf church in Arkansas.

Churches and Deaf Ministries
Little Rock
Antioch Missionary Baptist Church Antioch Deaf Ministry
Arkansas Catholic Diocese of Little Rock
Church of Christ www.w65stchurchofchrist.org
Deaf Impact Youth Ministry index
Fellowship Bible Church Deaf Ministry www.fbclr.org/connect/DeafMinistry.asp
First United Methodist Church First United Methodist Church Little Rock
Geyer Springs First Baptist Church Geyer Springs First Baptist Church: Home
Mosaic Church of Central Arkansas Welcome to Mosaic Church of Central Arkansas
Second Presbyterian Church Second Presbyterian Church
Word Aflame Fellowship Hostmonster
North Little Rock
North Little Rock Deaf church NLR Deaf Church
Park Hill Baptist Church Park Hill Baptist Church
St. Mary's Catholic Church St. Mary Church, North Little Rock | Catholic Diocese of Little Rock
Arkansas
Apostolic Faith Tabernacle, Pearcy, AR Welcome to Apostolic Faith Tabernacle! - Deaf Ministry
Bethel Baptist Church for Deaf, Fayetteville, AR Bethel Deaf Fellowship
First Baptist - Hands in Christ Deaf Ministry, Lavaca, AR www.webtol.com/workshop
Mount Carmel Baptist Church, Cabot, AR Mount Carmel Baptist Church|Serving God, Loving People
Signs of Love, Hot Springs, AR BUY WOMEN'S HEALTH MEDICATION WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION || Evista Raloxifene Online || Buy Clomid Clomiphene || Arimidex(Anastrozole) Drug || Femara (Letrozole) Pharmacy Without Prescription || Order Discounted Arimidex || Discounted Femara Pills || Gener
Southwest Church of Christ – Jonesboro, AR Southwest Church of Christ Home
Walnut Street Baptist Church – Jonesboro, AR LIFE @ Walnut Street Baptist Church
West Baptist Church, Batesville, AR www.westbaptist.or

Links | Arkansas Association for the Deaf

I remember one Catholic Church in Virginia had a maass where they had an interpreter for the hard of hearing. Not quite a "deaf church" though.

I really and truly am not, and I mean NOT, a prejudiced person at all.G_d made everyone equal and I believe that with my heart. It's just that, I am used to service being one specific way with a little change along the way, but nothing too radical or massively different. Church this morning has left me totally angry, and I'm not sure what else except that I feel it was a waste of my time to even get up. Sunday school was led by the person whose lips I couldn't read, but I still had my book and was okay, the preacher's sermon was about the same as usual, but he wasn't feeling too well, and I couldn't read his lips at all. He did apologize to me after service. I totally love the music program the most, being a musical person, but, the Jamaican's totally took over the music and it was horrible and not at all uplifting. I have never heard of a Christian song where you call G_d "daddy-oh!".

Maybe it's because of the way I was raised, but geez, I feel worse than I did before I got up.

Sorry for the rant, I know it's something I have to deal with, but I am seriously thinking of changing churches. It will mean that I will not be at the same church as my husband, but I may feel better.

I really and truly am not, and I mean NOT, a prejudiced person at all.G_d made everyone equal and I believe that with my heart. It's just that, I am used to service being one specific way with a little change along the way, but nothing too radical or massively different. Church this morning has left me totally angry, and I'm not sure what else except that I feel it was a waste of my time to even get up. Sunday school was led by the person whose lips I couldn't read, but I still had my book and was okay, the preacher's sermon was about the same as usual, but he wasn't feeling too well, and I couldn't read his lips at all. He did apologize to me after service. I totally love the music program the most, being a musical person, but, the Jamaican's totally took over the music and it was horrible and not at all uplifting. I have never heard of a Christian song where you call G_d "daddy-oh!".

Maybe it's because of the way I was raised, but geez, I feel worse than I did before I got up.

Sorry for the rant, I know it's something I have to deal with, but I am seriously thinking of changing churches. It will mean that I will not be at the same church as my husband, but I may feel better.

Deaf takes precedence. I know you think Baptists are wrong. Do you know how many Deaf Messianic Jews there are?

If you are interested in religion, you need to compromise sometimes.

Deaf takes precedence. I know you think Baptists are wrong. Do you know how many Deaf Messianic Jews there are?

If you are interested in religion, you need to compromise sometimes.

Wow, I disagree with that. I don't think I would give up my beliefs over it.

Wow, I disagree with that. I don't think I would give up my beliefs over it.

It won't ever be a question for you as you are not deaf and there are churches all over the country that you can attend and understand.

It won't ever be a question for you as you are not deaf and there are churches all over the country that you can attend and understand.

But my daughter is Deaf and we attend a Deaf church. We are lucky because we now live in an area that is highly populated by people of the same relgion that we are. But, before we moved here, that was not the case. We lived as far away as 90 minutes from a church that taught our religon. We also had to travel 16 hours to participate in part of our religon. We did it only once a year, but there were others who made the trip every month. I was not willing to compromise my beliefs for convience. Either you believe what they are teaching is right, or wrong. How is there a middle ground?

I believe that I have posted about the First Baptist Church earlier in this thread. My roommate that I mentioned earlier in this thread was raised Catholic. There were no Catholics churches that had services for the deaf in the Richmond area so she went to the First Baptist church in Richmond. I don't know if it's true anymore that there are no services for Deaf Catholics in Richmond nowadays.

There are no Deaf services for Deaf Quakers in Richmond to my knowledge so the Deaf Quaker that I mentioned earlier in this thread went to First Baptist instead. Her daughter who is hearing goes to the Quaker church.

Southern Baptists makes up the largest denomination for the Deaf. Not all Deaf/deaf were raised Baptist though.

In short, choices as to where to worship can be quite limited for the Deaf. If you can hear, you can just change churches and not worry about missing out on what is being said. Deaf don't have that choice.

Back