Deaf Cashiers

I

IceCream

Has anyone worked at a cash register? If so, how long did it take you to get used to it? I am nervous about telling the store that I want to do this. Of course, I will never know how I do at this until I try which I would hate to let the opportunity go by and regretting it. I am really nervous. Does it sound okay to tell the interviewer that I want to try this to challenge myself, but that if I feel it is not working out if they could transfer me to another job position in the store? Does it sound okay to say or should I skip that until I see how I am doing as a cashier? I am just sick of considering jobs stocking or positions.

i used to work at target as a cashier back in 1996 to 1997 it went okay.. only problem is that, when a customer complains about the prices i didn't see them talking about it.. normally i just keep going and going then 'uh oh' customer wants something :-x

Thank you.

How did you deal with them? This makes me nervous. Did you leave because of this?

aww. you can do it! grins.. i used to work as a cashier at Target when i was teenager. they at first were afraid to let me work on cashier but they realize it works out really well. sometime when the customer were complaining or something that i couldnt understand. i would say wait.. and get somebody behind me to find out whats up witht hat. i have no probem with it... or sometime i would say im deaf.. gesture this with customer and look at price.. at first i was worried about them get upset or lose patience but surprise they were patience with me.. so i become really comfortable with that..

i leave because they can't transfer me to another target... so i quitted and joined walmart in other town ;)

first few weeks u'll be sloppy.. but once a while u'll get used to it :cheers:

My gf sweetheart used to be a cashier at Hollywood Video. I never was a cashier before, but some of my friends were cashiers at some stores like Old Navy, some thrift stores, food stores, etc. I do think it's a problem communicating with customers if they want to talk to me about something. (blah, blah)

I used to be cashier for a year @ walfart... Excuse me I mean Wal-Mart, I did got several conflicts but was fine, all I need is a notepad with pen in case customer want to tell me directly, otherwise either I call other cashier, my supervisor or I try my best communcation with them. After a year, I got promoted/transfer to accounting which I love it but the working hours are horrible but I'm used to it for awhile now.

Be brave, common deaf quote 'you can do anything except hear' so do ur best!

I was cashier at Hollywood Video, it took me to learning in one day with it because it's easy for me, but for you, I don't know. And, customers had alot of patient for me becuase my boss DID put the paper to saying "I'm Deaf" on the machine, people still come up to me, when they complained and I would call another worker or my boss to handle it if its too much for me, if its simple then I would handle it, even I helped a kid, seems like he is around 4 years old and he talked to me, I acted like that Im deaf and said go and he walked to the movie to point at that he want and I picked it and gave it to him and he got happy, his mother saw all of it and let me handle. I was really pleasure that. But not anymore to work there. ;) You can do that because everybody can do it, no one "can't".

Thank you for being encouraging. I didn't think much people would post to this, but it really helps to talk to others. It's really boring to limit myself to certain positions. I am not really happy about going into stocking. I have yet to work in the clothing department. I did see one deaf girl I "knew" work in the clothing area, but I don't know if she did cashier. I do a good job stocking, but I am so sick of it. Really boring and sad. My brother who is hearing never wanted to do cashier, but later on he had to at a different job. I still have not gotten a call since Friday. I'll wait a few days. I am leaving out of town though, but I'll call them if they don't when I come back. I am tired of feeling broke!

Hi I didn't see this thread, sorry if I am behiind. Yes I am deafblind cashier at the State Capitol snack shop, and also was cashier at a booth at State Fair last year, and when in high school, I was cashier at school store. I remember at the fair, when someone talks to me, I always get someone in the back or next to me to talk to that person. At high school store, my work experince teacher made sign that says I am deaf, please write down what they wanna to say. As for current job, I have no problem because many people there already know who I am. If there are too many customers or a customer who don't understand how to communicate with me, my dad would step in and help me out mostlly being my "interpreter", actually note taker because he doesn't know ASL, like last week I tought salad was $2.00 because my boss didn't mark clearly, so I did gave him some change, and he talked, I told him I'm DEAF, but lucky my dad told me that I oew him $1, and I said to the guy I am sorry, and gave back $1. I always have notebook ready at work :) because sometimes my friends, and Dad (always) stop by and chat, and also for customers who want to talk to me...

I worked at as a cashier at a restaurant in the previous past, and plus I still do when I work at a booth with just my twin sister and I. I've even took orders from customers as well including deaf customers. :)

I am sure you read my other post about me being a relief cash registerer when I used to work in an adminstrative office at a big supermarket (I was in Account Receivable and Account Payable dept) and it was my boss who encouraged me to learn at the cash register. At first I said no way but after my boss said to give it a try to see if I will like it or not. I said why not and then I liked it right away. I am not fluent in lip-reading but whenever a customer tries to talk to me I let him or her know that I am deaf. Then the customer speaks more slowly for me or even write on a piece of paper for me. Of course I have encountered a few rude customers but they get taken care of by the store manager.

It really does take a lot of GUTS and COURAGE for a deaf person to work as a cashier! :thumb:

By the way, IceCream, were you able to get that job?

I've worked at a cash register when I worked at Blockbuster Video. These cash registers were computer operated, not like what you see at grocery stores or most other retail businesses.

Also, there are different kinds of cash registers. Which are you referring to?

I've been told by Walmart that I cannot work at Walmart because I am deaf.

Yeah, I know, ADA, but I didn't have the time and the energy to pursue that because I had to find a job ASAP and that was more important. And then I found 2 jobs and worked them both and had no time for the ADA stuff.

IceCream said:
Has anyone worked at a cash register? If so, how long did it take you to get used to it? I am nervous about telling the store that I want to do this. Of course, I will never know how I do at this until I try which I would hate to let the opportunity go by and regretting it. I am really nervous. Does it sound okay to tell the interviewer that I want to try this to challenge myself, but that if I feel it is not working out if they could transfer me to another job position in the store? Does it sound okay to say or should I skip that until I see how I am doing as a cashier? I am just sick of considering jobs stocking or positions.
I used to work for Dominick's back in 1995 for 5 years at first I was hired as a bagger and then 3 years later finally got protmoted to be a cashier cuz I fought my strength to the customer service manager that I want to try a cashier.. Since it easy to work as cashier seeing the keyboard or the screen that goes beep up shows all the UPC codes went thru. But I'm hard of hearing I can hear beep sounds. But i do get diffcult talking with customers. Especially Asians and Mexican people I don't understand them so I get my supervisor to help me out. First I suggest you to start basic position and get along a good relatenship with the supervisor and the managers and they'll get trust you.

Am I right some places have a button to press for help instead of having them walk or yell to get someone?

LuciaDisturbed said:
I've been told by Walmart that I cannot work at Walmart because I am deaf.

Yeah, I know, ADA, but I didn't have the time and the energy to pursue that because I had to find a job ASAP and that was more important. And then I found 2 jobs and worked them both and had no time for the ADA stuff.

I thought that was odd because I've been hearing that Wal-mart is open minded when hiring disabled to work, like wheelchair, elderly people, etc. I'm surprised they wouldn't hire you because you're deaf.

Back