The Deaf Business Symposium registration rate has just been discounted to $90, thanks to our many sponsors!
While we will accept registrations at the door, registrations after midnight April 18th will cost $125. Don’t wait!!
Register before April 5th to be eligible for a drawing of a FREE 8GB iPod Touch!
DCARA is honored to provide an educational forum in ASL for our community’s business leaders and aspiring entrepreneurs with some of the finest and most accomplished Deaf businessmen and businesswomen of our age. Come to the Deaf Business Symposium the weekend of April 19-21 at the Ed Roberts Campus in Berkeley, California.
You will benefit from a full weekend of opportunities to learn business strategies and network with business leaders and entrepreneurs, during a three-day agenda packed with presentations, workshops, and panel discussions.
The DBS provides an educational forum in ASL for the exchange of business strategy and expertise to Deaf small business owners and entrepreneurs, as well as to those who want to advance in their careers! You do not need to own a business to be business-minded and learn important business concepts such as negotiating, goal setting, and networking. DBS will also bridge the connection between the Deaf business community and available resources. There will be interpreters and captioning to provide full communication access throughout the weekend. For more information, please go to the DBS web pages: Deaf Business Symposium.
Featured presenters include:
· Dr. Scot Atkins, assistant professor of business at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), who will be presenting on “Networking for Deaf Entrepreneurs/Business Owners – Best Practices for the Future
· Joshua R. Beal, managing partner at Schwarz Financial Services LLC, our keynote speaker and who will present two topics: “Learn How to Grow Your Business Through a Public-Private Partnership” and “Learn to Maximize Your Tax Benefits as a Small Business Owner”
· Gary Beal, Negotiation Specialist, will take participants through a mock negotiation (participants will role play) to examine three critical principles of negotiation
· Amina Makhdoom, leader of the training team for Jack Canfield, author of the Chicken Soup series and The Success Principle, will present on “The Art and Science of Goal Setting – How to Take your Business to the Next Level”
· Gail Su, a corporate attorney at Hewlett-Packard specializing in intellectual property issues, structuring technology transactions and developing IP strategy, will present on “Legal Tips for Your Small Business – Business Law Basics”
· CONVO Panel: “The Key Players of a Local Successful Deaf Company”
Our presenters and panelists will discuss the challenges inherent in making a business successful, as well as how to find market opportunities and advantages.
The Deaf Business Symposium (DBS) is supported in part by the Department of Social Services and in partnership with the Department of Rehabilitation.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
If you would like to sponsor or exhibit at the DBS, please contact Linda Drattell at firstname.lastname@example.org or VP at 510-343-6678. The exhibit information may be found on the DBS website at the following link: http://dcara.org/dbs/images/Marketing_OpportunitiesDBS.pdf.
Please feel free to post the attached flyer and forward to others!
6:00- 9:00 Registration, Hors D’oerves
7:00-7:30 Welcoming Remarks
7:30- 8:30 Keynote Speaker – Joshua Beal
8:30- 9:00 Meet and Greet
Exhibitions open 9am-5pm
8:30- 9:30 Breakfast
9:15-10:15 Opening Presentation : Dr. Scot Atkins – “Networking For Deaf Entrepreneurs and Business Owners – Best Practices and Implications for the Future”
10:30-12:30 Workshop 1: Gary Beal – “Learn Critical principles of negotiation with hands on role playing”
12:30-2:00 Brown Bag Networking
One-on-One 10-minute meetings with individual business leaders
2:00-3:30 Workshop 2: Joshua Beal – “Learn How to Grow Your Business Through a Public-Private partnership AND Learn to Maximize Your Tax Benefits as a Small
3:30- 4:15 Workshop 3: Amina Makhdoom – “The Art and Science of Goal Setting – How to Take Your Business to the Next Level”
Dinner on your own
9:00- 1:00 Brunch
9:30-11:00 Presentation: Legal Services for Entrepreneurs – “Business Law Basics – Information Everyone Should Know When Starting a Small Business”
11:00-12:00 One-on-One 10-minute meetings with individual business leaders
12:00- 1:30 Panel Presentation: CONVO – “A Conversation With The Key Players of One of the Bay Area’s Most Successful Deaf Companies”—Facilitator Jim Brune
1:30- 2:00 Parting comments: Russell Stein
2:00- 3:00 View Exhibitor Booths
2:00- 3:00 “One-on-One 10-minute meetings with individual business leaders”
3:00 ERC Closes