Deaf and hh in college now

wjfren01

Reaction score
Who all here is Deaf or hard of hearing at a 4 year college besides RIT and Gally? This is the group of people I want to connect with. I am the only hard of hearing person at my college and I wish it was otherwise.

I interpret for my college. We have 4 Deaf students there. Next year we believe we'll have 6. They all have our little social circle with a few other interps. I'd love to get them all connected on here too. Even though there are 4 of them, I know they still feel incredibly isolated sometimes.

that is great for you enjoy education your become career promote your goal you will become successfully :D

Curious..why dont you want to connect with deaf people who attend RIT or Gallaudet?

shel, I think he wants to connect with mainstreamed dhh students.
I was a mainstream college kid myself.... Wish I'd done NTID or Gally since the support systems sucked!

They do. I contacted my college about these little plaques they had up in the lecture halls saying there were assistive listening devices in Disability Services. I was excited at the prospect of using their FM system/loop in my large lecture classes- Nah, not for me. Turns out they -had- receivers a few years ago, but they were kinda crappy so they just got rid of them and left the signs up. -_-

I'm a 4 year hoh college student at IU. Go Big Red!

You are my sworn enemy. Must. Destroy. IU! :)

I was at IU back in October for a job interview. I went with my friend and it was last minute. I don't use an interpreter, but my friend does, and they weren't able to find one for her with two day's notice. I ended up terping for her. It was awkward and not professional, but it worked.

I talked to the director of disability services and she told me there is only one deaf person on the entire campus that uses ASL. Really? a school of over 40,000 and only one ASL user? Do you know if that's true?

You are my sworn enemy. Must. Destroy. IU! :)

I was at IU back in October for a job interview. I went with my friend and it was last minute. I don't use an interpreter, but my friend does, and they weren't able to find one for her with two day's notice. I ended up terping for her. It was awkward and not professional, but it worked.

I talked to the director of disability services and she told me there is only one deaf person on the entire campus that uses ASL. Really? a school of over 40,000 and only one ASL user? Do you know if that's true?

Yeah, lol. It's totally true. They don't really know how to handle me here, the lady who handles my case says she only has a handful of students with some type of hearing loss, and only one student who uses ASL. It's because in that area, IU is useless. (Still better than Purdue though! ;) Heh heh. ) I myself went to an Oral school, and was mainstreamed later. I also seem to be the only student that IU serves that went to a Deaf school of any kind other than the one ASL user.

shel, I think he wants to connect with mainstreamed dhh students.
I was a mainstream college kid myself.... Wish I'd done NTID or Gally since the support systems sucked!

Well, then count me out because I went to Gallaudet University.

I am a hard of hearing student at a 4 year school in MD. There are a couple other HoH people here but not many

Curious..why dont you want to connect with deaf people who attend RIT or Gallaudet?

Shel, I have tons of friends who go to both of those schools. I have nothing against those schools, I actually was looking at RIT for a bit but didn't want to go that far away from home.

Purdue has 30+ hoh/deaf students, but only 6-7 of which use interpreters. Still, we have an on-site interpreter who can cover in emergency situations. We would have been prepared for a situation like what happened to me.

PURDUE WINS AGAIN!

:lol:

Yea I know the dude who runs track at Purdue, baller. I haven't used an interpreter since 3rd grade so accommodations weren't a concern for me. Kentucky School for the Deaf is right down the street should my implant ever self destruct ha. Boiler Up!

Shel, I have tons of friends who go to both of those schools. I have nothing against those schools, I actually was looking at RIT for a bit but didn't want to go that far away from home.

Oh I got it. I went to Arizona State University for my BA degree and then to Gallaudet for my Master's.

So, where do I fit in? :lol:

Back