"Deaf and Dumb"?

i can overlook old people using the word that how they brought up but i feel uncomfortable when people under 70 use word.
one my pet hates is be called epileptic,no one is 'an epileptic or the epileptic'i am the deaf lady who has epilepsy,i not the condition..i never had any rudeness re my deafness at least to my face but i been made feel like shit with epilepsy

Deaf development mind and changelle smart level intelligent do it :) ! also sign language learn not stupid! simply!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

LK - you do know that the vast majority of us find "HI" offensive, right?

We're Hoh (hard of hearing) or deaf ...but not HI (hearing impaired). If I had an audie who used HI, I'd not only explain it's an insulting term, but also find another more Deaf aware Audie.

You've used the term multiple times now - please don't.

What about those who truly are impaired? What I mean by this is some one who once had normal hearing then something bad happened.

What about those who truly are impaired? What I mean by this is some one who once had normal hearing then something bad happened.

Anij: sorry, my bad. It's audiological lingo derived from 'hearing impairment', indicating, as noted, that the original status of the individual was hearing within the normal range for humans. No offense meant; think of it as a dialectical difference, in the same way that 'dumb' is still dialectically correct for mute in Scotland, but not in the US. But I'll try to remember.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Typically it's very late deafened (+50s) who are TOLD they are now "hearing impaired" by their doctors or audiologists who use the term H.I. as a diagnosis.

Those of us who were born with, or acquired at least mild HL prior to 20 or 30 tend to greatly prefer Hoh, or deaf.

Interestly, those who were hearing and become hoh later in life who also know a younger person who is hoh, or has an audiologist who uses the term hoh (not HI) tend to almost always prefer the term Hoh for themselves as well.

People who identify as hoh or deaf also tend to have better self image / acceptance related to having HL (or being deaf).

blind people not blind,they say got no perception of light,or perception of light no hand in front two finger only but never blind
my daughter was referred as developmental delay but that makes assumption she catch up but that can not happen....words like dumb retarted spastic epileptic and how Downs use be called are just awful,but they words of those times,we moved on from using insulting words but must take a care of becoming so pc they we aillinate ourselves..common sense thoughtfullness politness and education should solve these things,but accept not all people have those attributes and at some point accept cock ups happen

My SIL has a below the knee amputation. He doesn't call himself mobility impaired. He says that he has a BTK amputation. It is what it is. Impairment depends on what people let hinder their accomplishments.

Same with deafness. It is what it is. Impairment occurs only when it's allowed to hinder accomplishment.

In my opinion.

Then they need counseling or peer group meetings to improve their self image.

I'm deaf. If I sell a $200 bike for $50, then I am stupid. If I sell a $200 bike for $200, then I am smart.

Who cares about the "Deaf and Stupid" terminology

Back