"Deaf and Dumb"?

I strongly agree to disagree. Is it true that all deaf and hard of hearing people incapable of speaking? What about those who have learned how to speak well? Are they "inability to speak" just because they are "deaf?"

It would just be the difference between deaf/mute and deaf.

Just because you speak, you are still deaf although not mute.

These terms are so seldom used or even thought of today, it seems odd to get so upset about it.

It would just be the difference between deaf/mute and deaf.

Just because you speak, you are still deaf although not mute.

These terms are so seldom used or even thought of today, it seems odd to get so upset about it.

So true.... I'm not upset, but I am bothered by it.

The OP talked about the school in Scotland. If it is still called deaf and dumb, why don't deaf Scottish people complain about it?

The OP talked about the school in Scotland. If it is still called deaf and dumb, why don't deaf Scottish people complain about it?

It's just a charity that may give grants of money. Maybe they never heard of it.

I've learns that the gay movement turned words like gay and queer into positive words. I assume they was used more negative before. Is that a way to handle microagression? Can this be done with deafness?
Depends on the context of where the words are used.

Whether Deafness can be classified as a "culture configuration" highly subjective.
Whether microaggression/macroaggression actually exists-again contingent one's viewpoint.
Reasonable to transfer to the Deaf?

More discussion-Sociology.

Whether Deafness can be classified as a "culture configuration" highly subjective.
Whether microaggression/macroaggression actually exists-again contingent one's viewpoint.
Reasonable to transfer to the Deaf?

More discussion-Sociology.

Ah I see, my questions have been ignored again. There is no reason for me to beat a dead horse.

Ah I see, my questions have been ignored again. There is no reason for me to beat a dead horse.

Looks like you've gotten many responses answering your question. Some find the term offensive, some consider as a somewhat archaic way to refer to those who don't hear or speak (as opposed to those who attend an oral school that would be focused on those who don't hear but do speak). Seems that in the US it's less commonly used (although I've seen in papers such as the WSJ), but still in play to some degree in Australia and the UK.

I wouldn't mind the term 'deaf and dumb' if the word 'dumb' wasn't more commonly used as slang for 'stupid' -- as it is too many people conflate the two, so if my daughter chose not to speak, I wouldn't be too comfortable with that association.

A few years ago some of the leaders of prominent Deaf organizations proposed the use of deaf-mute to self-identify as a Deaf person who opposes oralism. I think I prefer 'voice-off', odd as it is, to deaf-mute as mute seems to be indicating a medical condition rather than a choice of modality.

Absolutely. Excellent questions. I wish I could answer those question or had the opportunity to ask my professor when I took the class. I think it is possibility that a deaf community could make a negative word like deaf and dumb into something positive. But how do we make it positive? The problem with "dumb" is not that all deaf and hard of hearing people are mute.

What I have learned I need to be careful with what I tell my clients when it comes to counseling. Sometimes professional mental therapists and counselors don't realize that what they do or say may cause harm to their minority clients.
I agree in counselling this is important to remember.

Think most deaf people would learn to talk than not, and understand people who feel mute means no language.

I don't have evidence to back this up, but as far I know, it was oralists who decided mute wasn't appropriate anymore, because they taught deaf people to speak after all. Later, with HA, they wanted to stop say deaf, too. Hearing impaired made more sense. Later in the twentieth century, deaf people started to find mute offensive. What did deaf people in nineteen century say about deaf and dumb?

Isn't "deaf" vulnerable to micro agression, too? I wonder if it's possible to find a term that is free of micro agression depending on the context. But interesting concept you brought up!

Perhaps one of the problems from the past re" interactions with the Deaf" is the utilization of electronics: Cell phones/laps tops/Cochlear Implants. Not exactly "helpless" if used.

I still read in the papers, and hear references about people being referred to as "deaf mutes" which is also an out-of-date term.

There's still a lot of educating of the populace that needs to be done.

I still read in the papers, and hear references about people being referred to as "deaf mutes" which is also an out-of-date term.

There's still a lot of educating of the populace that needs to be done.

I think Ella and the DBC were trying to bring back the term deaf-mute a few years ago, not sure if they continue the effort. But note her warning that this should only be used by those who understand why, not the general public.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvs_JgPi6SQ[/ame]

American Sign Language (ASL) terminology

Looks like you've gotten many responses answering your question. Some find the term offensive, some consider as a somewhat archaic way to refer to those who don't hear or speak (as opposed to those who attend an oral school that would be focused on those who don't hear but do speak). Seems that in the US it's less commonly used (although I've seen in papers such as the WSJ), but still in play to some degree in Australia and the UK.

I wouldn't mind the term 'deaf and dumb' if the word 'dumb' wasn't more commonly used as slang for 'stupid' -- as it is too many people conflate the two, so if my daughter chose not to speak, I wouldn't be too comfortable with that association.

A few years ago some of the leaders of prominent Deaf organizations proposed the use of deaf-mute to self-identify as a Deaf person who opposes oralism. I think I prefer 'voice-off', odd as it is, to deaf-mute as mute seems to be indicating a medical condition rather than a choice of modality.

:gpost:

I see "deaf" and "mute/dumb" as two independent and separate descriptors that should never be automatically paired together.

Not all deaf people are "mute," and even those who don't normally use their voices for speaking aren't necessarily incapable of making sound.

There are hearing people who don't have voices, so muteness is not limited to deaf people. Do we say, "He's a hearing-mute" or "He's hearing and dumb"? No.

So, it's time to toss ol' "deef 'n' dumb" into the obsolescence hopper.

So true.... I'm not upset, but I am bothered by it.

The problem is maybe that mute is so associated with language nowadays, and ASL is recognised as a language, leaving the word mute in the past. This would also put more micro aggression in the term mute than a hundred years ago, though its still unclear to me what dumb really meant back then and how people related to sign language.

Came to think of all those kids with CI who says they are hearing, instead of deaf or hard of hearing. Is that a product of micro agression?

I see "deaf" and "mute/dumb" as two independent and separate descriptors that should never be automatically paired together.

Not all deaf people are "mute," and even those who don't normally use their voices for speaking aren't necessarily incapable of making sound.

There are hearing people who don't have voices, so muteness is not limited to deaf people. Do we say, "He's a hearing-mute" or "He's hearing and dumb"? No.

How (if you were even going to) would you differentiate between someone who doesn't speak and someone is incapable? Not being facetious, genuine question.

How (if you were even going to) would you differentiate between someone who doesn't speak and someone is incapable? Not being facetious, genuine question.

Why don't you google terms like "elective mutism, selective mutism..."

There are lots of terminolgy in place already.

For what purpose? For evaluating someone for therapy services or some other clinical reason? I leave that to the doctors and other professionals.

Looks like you've gotten many responses answering your question.

I did get lots of responses, but none has been answered when I asked those following questions from one of my posts.

"What do you think micro-aggression looks like? How can people who commit micro-aggressions be so unaware of their actions? Even if they represent unintentional slights and insults? What types of psychological impact do you think they have on marginalized groups? Micro-aggressions can be used as racism, sexism, hetero-sexism, etc. "

I am not interested in arguing with people or changing their minds. I can list all research literature reviews; however, my major isn't sociology. I don't know much about sociology; however, I have done many research papers for my chemistry major classes. I haven't taken any courses on sociology and a few pyschology classes. I have a degree in Chemistry and getting a masters in school counseling. I have thought about doing a doctoral degree in either anthropology, clinical psychology, or other. I am not going to worry about it until I get my masters. I will decide whether to purse another degree.

I simply voice my concerns of using the word "deaf and dumb" because I don't think that term is positive. It's subtle way to degrade a minority. A deaf person who speaks well should be labelled as dumb or mute because it is assumed that all deaf people are mute?

It doesn't interest me if a "deaf" person wants to be called Deaf or deaf. Even if a deaf person is wearing hearing aids or getting cochlea implant. I don't care if a person prefers to communicate through signing or speaking. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices on whatever works for them.

I dislike when people are using terms to oppress someone. I believe that everyone's equal and deserved to be respected as a whole person regardless of hearing loss, color, religion, ethnicity, etc.

...I simply voice my concerns of using the word "deaf and dumb" because I don't think that term is positive. It's subtle way to degrade a minority. A deaf person who speaks well should be labelled as dumb or mute because it is assumed that all deaf people are mute?....
That's the bottom line. It's not a positive term, and it's not even an accurate term, so there's no need to continue using it in this day and age.

Back