"deaf" and "death"

Have you noticed how many thread titles here get titled something such as, “I am dead. Need help with my HAs!”

Kinda hard to want to wear HAs if you are dead .. :)

LOL...yeah...and people saying..."Oh, she's death"...(mainly kids)...the other day, I was at the Flea Mkt. Went to this booth, the lady was blah-blah-blahing. I pointed to my ear and said "I'm deaf"...she had some kind of gadget in her ear (at first I thought it was a CI), but it wasn't)...She said..."Get it at Walgreens!"...I just shook my head...Don't have time for that....

Get it at Walgreens? So what was it? Some kind of ear bud, like headphones?

They do sell some sort of hearing amplifier- I don't know the brand name but they're usually in the "As Seen on TV" section (or used to be).
I think you're right...and it's kind of funny (and annoying at times) when you meet people, tell them that you're deaf and they "suggest" or even tell you what to get to "fix" that..So...my saying "I ain't got time for that" rings true (in my case at least)….Guessing some people do mean well by that...??...but I'm not about to standing there explaining all the surgeries I've had to no avail.....

RR, I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone telling me how to “fix it” but I so hate the “I’m so sorry.” For what? It becomes awkward.

She didn't actually "say"...fix it...but she just pointed to her ear with that gadget in it and said...go to Walgreens....or get it at Walgreens...LOL...so if she thought it helped her, then it should help me?....Ahhh, I'm profound deaf and no HA will help and not qualified for a CI.....Has been that way a very long, long time...sooo, seems I've seen it all and that's why I say..."ain't got time for that!"....So tired of explaining and explaining....and then again the "I'm so sorry!"...LOL...Depending upon my mood...I can say "for what"> ….or "damn right you're Sorry!"...LOL...My speech is still intact, so guessing people do "assume" that if you can speak, then again you're not deaf...a Merry-go-Round...over and over...."I'm deaf in this ear"..."can you read Lips?"...and the most dreaded question? …"What happened?"...Some times it's best to just walk off and be rude about it..

So totally understand that. It gets frustrating! Like you, I’ve seen it all. And it’s not just about being deaf, but that compounds it. Absolutely.

Back