"deaf" and "death"

HubesHub

Reaction score
Anyone not like it how these words are similar to each other?

Wirelessly posted

To make matters worst, the letter "d" and "f" are beside each other on a keyboard or typewriter. So it's common to type "dead" instead of "deaf" by mistake.

Last edited:
My friend, Bless her, when she tells people that she's deaf, her lip patten/voice comes out as death.

Some of the hearing people might be Tone-Deaf when they thought I said "Death" when I already said "Deaf". I never said "Death". Geeze :roll: I point to my ear and shake my head sideways. They absently minded think I said "Death". Some people are weird. :lol:

I don't understand those hearing people who said 'death' when they meant 'deaf'. With their hearing, they should be able to said the right word!

My daughter said when I tell my dog "to sit" it sometime sound like I am
saying "shit!" It is hard to tell some words apart , and it can be really funny at time! You have to be able to laugh at yourself sometime!

lmao, I know my phone, Idk why but sometimes inputs dead when I'm supposed to be writing deaf. >_< it's an iphone 4 and I guess it picks up the words i use, and alot of time even to my ASL teacher I send her things that say dead,
You are right it makes for a good laugh.

My daughter said when I tell my dog "to sit" it sometime sound like I am saying "shit!" It is hard to tell some words apart , and it can be really funny at time! You have to be able to laugh at yourself sometime!
The important thing is, which does your dog do when you give the command? :giggle:

"I am death!"

*People screaming and running away!*

"Was it something I said??"

Yiz

I have been battling blues all week because of the "death" issue. I was preparing a vocabulary list for the ASL class I teach at an extended care facility where I live. On the list that day was the word "death" and it led to the discovery that I could find no sign for the words "widow, widower and widowed" in any of my research. In a masterpiece of bad timing, one of my best pupils (a hard of hearing 92 year old enthusiastic novice signer) was in low spirits because it was the anniversary of the death of his wife. He fell apart. I'm not sure how to handle the next class and I still want to know how to sign "widow". My class is made up of elderly people many of whom also have arthritis. They are all still 'with it' mentally and are eager to learn. Any help here?

I have been battling blues all week because of the "death" issue. I was preparing a vocabulary list for the ASL class I teach at an extended care facility where I live. On the list that day was the word "death" and it led to the discovery that I could find no sign for the words "widow, widower and widowed" in any of my research. In a masterpiece of bad timing, one of my best pupils (a hard of hearing 92 year old enthusiastic novice signer) was in low spirits because it was the anniversary of the death of his wife. He fell apart. I'm not sure how to handle the next class and I still want to know how to sign "widow". My class is made up of elderly people many of whom also have arthritis. They are all still 'with it' mentally and are eager to learn. Any help here?
I have seen the following sign used:

The sign SINGLE made with a W-hand.

I don't understand those hearing people who said 'death' when they meant 'deaf'. With their hearing, they should be able to said the right word!

No doubt. Talk about lacking in English skills.:lol:

Why not just "wife dead?"

Why not just "wife dead?"
That's certainly the easiest and most accurate way to go.

I'm not sure how Dorothy A is planning to incorporate the widow/widower sign onto the vocabulary list.

I don't think substituting the widower sign for the death sign will make things any easier for the signing group or someone who misses his wife.

I should have asked more questions before giving my drive-by answer. :(

The important thing is, which does your dog do when you give the command? :giggle:

LOL!! That is really FUNNY! People will sometime look at me very oddly when I tell my dog 'to sit'! This is why I asked my daughter what it sound like
I am saying! My dog is trained to go piss or poop on demand! I am glad the demand word it not 'shit' when I want my dog to take a poop!

One local newspaper wrote something special article about deaf student's accomplishment, and the sentence they wrote "She graduated from Wisconsin School for the Dead".

Scary!

Let's look at your keybaord, the letter "d" is next to "f".

One local newspaper wrote something special article about deaf student's accomplishment, and the sentence they wrote "She graduated from Wisconsin School for the Dead".

Scary!

Let's look at your keybaord, the letter "d" is next to "f".
Maybe she was a deaf zombie! :shock:

Oh gosh! I remember that my teacher received a package in the mail at school. The label on the package printed, "Clarke School for the Dead." She was stunned to read it, and we all laughed.

Well, we could make the coffins in the classroom... for the next Halloween.

Back