Deaf and adjusting to living on your own...

Lhigson3

Reaction score
I have lived with my ex partner for 7 years, he was hearing and I felt safe. We have recently separated and now I am scared of everything. I'm scared I wont hear smoke alarm if there was a fire in the house, I am scared I wouldn't hear someone breaking in, I am always worried about my one year old daughter. I don't sleep very well at night. Any suggestions welcome on how to get rid of these horrible worries.

My partner and I recently separated, he was hearing so I relied on him to hear the things I couldn't. Now he has moved out. I am experiencing all these worries... silly things like what if I didn't hear the smoke alarm or someone breaking in or my daughter taking unwell in her sleep. I keep my hearing aid in at night and sleep with the hall light on and I havnt been sleeping well at all.

@Lhigson3 Hang in there! Do you have somebody around to support you? Where do you reside?
How old is your daughter? Who is her father?
You can look into different devices, that might help you. Like flashing alarms for sounds and so on.
Elaborate more, so we can give you more possible solutions.

What about finances? Do you have a job?
Raising children is a lot like having an unpaid full time job.

Last edited:
Strobe alarms will help with the fire concern, I have them all over the house. For your daughter, there are baby monitors with either strobes or vibration. As was said above, Harris Communications is a very good source.

I did that :)
Btw how are you? How is your job hunting?

Cool- wasn't sure as some folks don't think to.

I'm doing okay. Job hunting is still a pain in the ass lol. I'm considering going to coding bootcamp but the cost is a stumbling block. Not many scholarships- One associated with the school I was accepted to is for underrepresented minorities..but they state "women and people of color" . No disabled anywhere...yes I sent an email lol. Next thought is WeFinance (a lot like gofundme) but my network is limited and am almost certain no one would donate (even if I paid 'em back eventually).

So kind of slow going right now. But- I keep doing the virtual career fairs, going to events when I can afford the gas, admission fee and parking fee.

Well, it is better to ask VR that specialize in deaf and deafblind field so they can explain a lot.

Speaking about breaking in your house, you may need to adopt the dogs so they can protect your house.

My parent's houses never been burglarized due to dogs in their house.

Rofl @authentic and @Beowulf

@Lhigson3 good luck with adapting to living on your own, and for most things Im sure the Deaf/hoh people here can advice you on good tools to use.

One of the options is a hearing dog, less trouble then a man to handle and can help you with most of the situations you described

Here in my City, we have ILRC (Independent Living Resource Center)...they do a lot for deafies...door bell lights, TTY's,,,VP's...and it's all Free....Maybe there is one in ur City too...so if you can't afford all the gadgets, check them out.
It's also "normal" for you to feel afraid and scared...after living with someone for 7 years, then find urself living alone....Might take a while for you to make a complete adjustment, but it can be done! Always take the proper precautions...doors and windows locked and be alert.

I live on my own so I use the door flasher in case I don't hear anyone knocking.

I live alone as well. Never bothered me, but then again, I wasn't raised to be dependant. It is your fault for being dependant, especially that you have a kid, who depends on you.

Back