Dating Web Site Kicks Out "Fatties"

sara1981

Reaction score
Dating Web Site Kicks Out "Fatties"
Dating Web Site Kicks Out "Fatties" - CBS News

Is it a simple case of out-of-control elitism, or is it just the right thing to do?

The dating service BeautifulpPople.com has dumped thousands of members. The reason? Because they're too fat, reports CBS Station WCBS in New York.

Log on to the dating Web site BeautifulPeople.com and you won't find any ugly people. Now, according to the site's owners, you won't find any fat ones either.

"We especially noticed that from November - as we all know, Thanksgiving - all the way through New Year, members had been gaining weight and sort of letting themselves go," managing director Genevieve Maylam said.

So the site dumped 5,000 subscribers who, they say, overindulged.

The Web site says it received complaints from members that there were too many "fatties" roaming around, and not enough beauties.

"I just think that's horrible, it's horrible," TriBeCa resident Tobey Hayduk said.

Those members who didn't meet the beauty benchmark received an e-mail explaining that they had been expelled because of their extra pounds. The message also included some tips on working out, and an invitation to reapply when they slimmed down.

CBS 2 took the site's plan to a New York Sports Club.

"Cruel and unusual punishment, probably, is the best thing to say," Gramercy resident Beth Roberts said.

"I think it's awful - however, it's kind of what you signed up for," TriBeCa resident Tori Maisey said.

Body image expert Karen Salmansohn says the Web site's harsh rejection could be damaging even to people who aren't on it.

"I think it's kind of actually scary that they would kick off people because they packed on a couple pounds over the holidays," Salmonsohn said. "It's a wrong message. Chemistry's such a mysterious thing."

"I think the physical aspect is definitely not number one for me," Prospect Heights resident Tracy Copeland said. "It's a part of it, but I don't think I should log on to beautifulpeople.com and actually find someone to date."

Those behind BeautifulPeople.com make no apologies and say what their site lacks in political correctness, it makes up for in honesty.

More than 1,500 members from the U.S. were kicked out, nearly double any other country, because the folks who run the Web site say Americans pig out more than anyone else during the holidays.

OMG, that's really cruel! That's pretty much discrimination. Beautiful people can come in any shapes or sizes, rme at them!

Lucky I just married my husband and didn't ever do one of those sites.

That is just creepy.

Theres thousands of other dating websites you can take your business to. Don't give that website another dime of your money. A business has the right to refuse to do business with you, if they go out of business, good riddence then!

Theres also many free dating sites, ive signed up for a few in the past and there were all kinds of people there. Didn't have any luck finding a date though.

I don't even use Internet dating sites, I'm afraid of what I might find on there. I really don't believe in those online dating success stories. I really don't.

I don't even use Internet dating sites, I'm afraid of what I might find on there. I really don't believe in those online dating success stories. I really don't.

one of my old interpreters met her husband through AOL.. it can happen!

one of my old interpreters met her husband through AOL.. it can happen!

my friend met a really really cute girl thru FB couple years ago and they're still dating

I do believe in success stories, they do happen.

How does the site know that people are gaining weight anyway?

Second here, execpt for some websites like Facebook but I don't trust any online dating.

lol stupid site. I don't believe in these dating sites anyway.

I read about this yesterday. I think that this was just a way to get publicity... a "get your name in the paper" type of deal.

I don't add anyone on FB if I don't know them, just common sense.

As far as dating sites, I've heard one sort of success story locally - a lady I work with found her current boyfriend on there. He's a news director for the local NBC affiliate. He's smitten with her. Of course she's a government food inspector, not an actual Tyson employee, so I think that helped her seal the deal.

Sometimes I wonder if my occupation turns potential candidates off, I've not had 'offers' in a long time.

Definitely not my cup of tea. :(

How can the site guarantee anything? People could easily post skinny pictures even if they're fat IRL or could post a picture from a time when they were skinny but aren't anymore.

I think this is good news. it will encourage people to lose weight.

Please keep in mind that there are some people who CAN'T lose weight due to genetic problems and such...some people can't control their weight as they keep on gaining and gaining and gaining and that's why you would see some riding on little scooters or whatever.

Please keep in mind that there are some people who CAN'T lose weight due to genetic problems and such...some people can't control their weight as they keep on gaining and gaining and gaining and that's why you would see some riding on little scooters or whatever.

Please keep in mind there are ways to prevent weight gain. They chose not to do these things.

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Ugh, that's so cruel! Poor chubby/"fat" people... Why are they think the look is more important than the personality? Bah! =/

I don't need the look for attention. 'K, thanks. :roll:

Back