Dating person with ADD or ADHD

racheleggert

Reaction score
I wonder do you have experice dating a person that has ADD or ADHD? (Attention Defecity/Hyperprcity Disorder)?? Was experince good or bad? Because I have talked to 2 guys that have ADD/ADHD that want to go out with me.. if it is good idea???

Everyone has some form of ADD. Some have it barely noticeable and others have it severely. You make it sound like it's a disease that you aren't sure if you should avoid. What you should be thinking about is how bad it is.

How bad do they have it? Does it bother you or interfere with your lifestyle? There are a few people at NTID that I know who have it severely. One of them is hated by everyone else cuz she swears because she says she has rights to talk like that. Another masturbates compulsively because he says he can if he wants to. Another talks loudly in class because he says he has rights. They all have ADHD. I think they have ADSUHD... attention deficit super ultra hyperactivity disorder. Those are the ones I avoid. There are others who only have ADD problems when they are in class. Other than that, they're fine... those are the one I'm fine with.

You avoid me??? I have a mild case of ADHD. :tears:

I think they have ADSUHD... attention deficit super ultra hyperactivity disorder.
Or they could have bipolar. I know that ADD and bipolar is very often mixed up.
I think it depends. Someone who simply has hyperactivity isn't that bad, but some of the other manifesations of the disorder can drive you INSANE...I have a friend who has ADD and the manifesations of her ADD are almost like she has Asperger's Syndrome. ALL she talks about is pro-wrestling, stupid anime, and comic book superhereos (like star wars or x-men....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!)

Hi people,.
I am not avoiding ADHD/ADD people.. I just want to see what it is like dating ADD/ADHD person, and how I handle them in situations when go bad.. BTW my nephew and some friends does have ADHD/ADD....

Well, sometimes I am away from my computer without posting away msgs several times while I am in kitchen, watching tv, or going to my bedroom. Sometimes, I do not pay attention to what people say or ask them to repeat something for me. I tell you that it is pain in the ass. It is not easy for someone with ADHD like me.

I must be new on this one

Can someone please tell me what is Defecity/Hyperprcity Disorder ?... :)

Oddball said:
Well, sometimes I am away from my computer without posting away msgs several times while I am in kitchen, watching tv, or going to my bedroom. Sometimes, I do not pay attention to what people say or ask them to repeat something for me. I tell you that it is pain in the ass. It is not easy for someone with ADHD like me.

Since you say you have a mild case of ADHD - do you take medication or is it managed through a dietary plan, something like that?
Just am curious because I've heard of people with extreme cases of ADHD and are put on a lot of medication to manage it. :dunno: much about this disorder.

A relative problem

I also have ADD.

If someone pays attention to their behavior they can slow down and realize they are overwhelming someone.

In a bad case of poor self image, someone with ADD may just see it as "everyone else's problem".

How severe is it?

-John

Whew I just ended my marriage with one I'm happy to be free once again!

Too many communication anomolies.

Richard

^Angel^ said:
I must be new on this one

Can someone please tell me what is Defecity/Hyperprcity Disorder ?... :)
It's a disorder where a person doesn't pay attention to things around them or have a hard time paying attention to one thing. They usually fiddle around with other things as if they are bored with everything else easily.

PurpleRose71 said:
Since you say you have a mild case of ADHD - do you take medication or is it managed through a dietary plan, something like that?
Just am curious because I've heard of people with extreme cases of ADHD and are put on a lot of medication to manage it. :dunno: much about this disorder.

Well, I tried try Effexor for ADHD with anxiety/depression twice at different dosage. Effexor won't help me at all.. it gave me cold chills, zombie, vomit, and upset stomach. I decided not to take different medications to get zombie even the psycharist suggested me to try to stay on the medication. I flatly refused to take medication ever since.

VamPyroX said:
It's a disorder where a person doesn't pay attention to things around them or have a hard time paying attention to one thing. They usually fiddle around with other things as if they are bored with everything else easily.

Yes, Vampy got some points.. I added this..

Impulsive
Can't sit well for a minute or so (I am amazed at myself for sitting through bored classes)
Aggressive behavior
Inattentative
Distraction
and few more

For further information on ADHD

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/adhd.cfm

Oddball said:
Well, I tried try Effexor for ADHD with anxiety/depression twice at different dosage. Effexor won't help me at all.. it gave me cold chills, zombie, vomit, and upset stomach. I decided not to take different medications to get zombie even the psycharist suggested me to try to stay on the medication. I flatly refused to take medication ever since.
I used to have ADHD when I was a kid. They had me on ritalin for that. Now, I'm fine. :)

i had ADHD when i was little and i hate to take ritlain sometime i spilt it out cuz i don't feel that i don't need this but it do help with my attention to get my grades up.. so right now im fine.. i don't need this but i know I am still part of ADHD but not worse than when i had in the past.

well,
I've dated women who have bi polar disorder and other one had borderline personality disorder. They're both getting better and coping with it better so it's fine. I didn't leave them because of that, it's a long story anyways. :)
I never met anyone or realized anyone I know that has ADD

My husband had ADD and he never told anybody about it.. only his mother knew.. and when he told me about it.. he was scared that I would leave him because of it. I told him that I wouldn't leave him because of it.. and that nobody's perfect. I love him for who he is and he's doing fine. His mom never put him on medication for it and he's doing fine all of his life. He had good grades in school and he graduated high school. Now that he's married to me and we have a beautiful baby boy named Nathan together, plus that he has a good-paying job and he works very hard. He always gets raises very well because he works hard. His boss is considering about him being the leader of the job. I am proud of him!!!! :)

Well, you have to think about it. Should they not get married? I think it's best they marry someone with none or mild ones to be able to best make decisions and things like that. It's not "you're stupid, and I am smart attitude." It's just teamwork to work things out.

Someone sort of thinks that bipolar people should not be married. Who knows? It's the same with wheelchairs. They just cannot walk. There is someone who married his physical therapist who walks, and he met her because she worked with him. They are married with children.

Maybe you should give them a try and see from there. You're not obliged to stay with them if you cannot stand it. The main point is not to focus on imperfections. Focus on if you can work things out and love each other.

Last edited:
Oddball said:
Yes, Vampy got some points.. I added this..

Impulsive
Can't sit well for a minute or so (I am amazed at myself for sitting through bored classes)
Aggressive behavior
Inattentative
Distraction
and few more

For further information on ADHD

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/adhd.cfm
Extactly as same my eldest son and who is 13 yrs old .

He has troubling in his classroom and kept disracting rest of other students and implusive. *groan* I was hoping he'll behave at school this fall.

Rachel,
You may go ahead Date w/guy who has A.D.D. or A.D.H.D least you can give him a time and go ahead have fun together spend time and to get him know more personally. One day you could fall in love w/guy who has A.D.D.
*Can't be perfect straightenforward and to try become better person and no longer A.D.D..* Really impossible. As long you can manage w/guy. Go For it.. you willing challenge to learn about A.D.D./ A.D.H.D Wishes you have great luck and new seed as bright future! :thumb:

Well, just go on some casual, no-pressure dates, and see what happens. If that person's behavior and personality please you, then you can continue dating. If the two of you don't enjoy your dates, or if his behavior bothers you, quit dating. It is that simple. Just like dating someone without ADD or ADHD. Either you like each other and enjoy each other's company, or you don't. If the dating becomes serious (after many dates), and if you begin thinking marriage, then you can have serious discussions about life-long plans.

Judge the person as an individual, not a condition.

Back