Dates

jaquellequenan

Reaction score
For those who are deaf and date within the hearing community, do you find it difficult to agree on a date spot? If the hearing person is uneducated I'm sure they may recommend the movies or going out to eat. Where do you often like to go for first dates?

Why would you say that a hearing person is uneducated for recommending a movie or going out to eat?

How can deaf people understand what movie is talking about at the movie theaters?

How can deaf people understand what movie is talking about at the movie theaters?

Some are actually captioned if you are willing to use something like special glasses or device that fits in cup holder.

I used to date too many men who took me to the bowling, amusement parks, zoos, beaches, concerts, parks, and museums. I even got a crazy proposal from an old acquaintance who wanted to take me to Spain for a first date dinner. I learned a few months ago that poor guy is still single.

Some are actually captioned if you are willing to use something like special glasses or device that fits in cup holder.
I was providing the example to Silent Seed on how uneducated hearing person can be about taking a deaf person to movie theaters.

Personally - I would much rather be with somebody who doesn't assume that I don't enjoy certain things based on my being deaf. Communication is key.

I even got a crazy proposal from an old acquaintance who wanted to take me to Spain for a first date dinner. I learned a few months ago that poor guy is still single.

He must be looking for an expensive date... Plane ticket for two... then dinner for two, among other things. :lol:

Hello, I am using examples based on what my deaf and hard-of-hearing friends/peers/teachers have said. They have all said to never take a deaf person out to eat or to the movies for the first date, as it is often a difficult experience. And by uneducated I meant that they may not know deaf culture, also they may be unexperienced dating in the deaf world.

Hello, I am using examples based on what my deaf and hard-of-hearing friends/peers/teachers have said. They have all said to never take a deaf person out to eat or to the movies for the first date, as it is often a difficult experience. And by uneducated I meant that they may not know deaf culture, also they may be unexperienced dating in the deaf world.

Depends on the date. If one doesn't know ASL, then taking a Deaf person to the movie without any CC devices on the first date is not recommended. It is also difficult to carry conversation with a Deaf person in the dark theater, which make it awkward. As for clubs, that is different. It is very loud, dark, and crowded. I don't exactly recommend taking a Deaf person to the club on the first date.

He must be looking for an expensive date... Plane ticket for two... then dinner for two, among other things. :lol:

LOL. He still likes to make extravagant dates. I've heard from others that he is a serial dater. Someone told me the woman he used to date is fixed on him for a while and hope he would marry her, but it never happened. It must have driven his traditional Mexican parents loco that he will never settle down and give them grandchildren. I think he is approaching his 60s soon. He is not my type, anyway. He hoped to change my mind after I turned him down the first time and he found out I am married. He was whining like he tried to get my attention that he was too late. That was his side I haven't had seen before. See ya, Casanova!

From my experience with dates, The rule of dating is never date an insurance agent. EVER. I wanted to die before the date was over.

This is how I felt when he tried to sell me his idiot insurance.
suicide GIF by David

Babaro - sorry you had to endure that date! This is not related to dating, but when I had a store, this guy from the local newspaper would stop by almost every day, and spend about 2 hours just talking to me, and trying to get me to buy his newspapers. He just wouldn't take any hints to leave me alone!

Babaro - sorry you had to endure that date! This is not related to dating, but when I had a store, this guy from the local newspaper would stop by almost every day, and spend about 2 hours just talking to me, and trying to get me to buy his newspapers. He just wouldn't take any hints to leave me alone!

Thanks. That's life! lol Sounds like my old date. He had no idea he was like that. When he asked me for a date, I suggested meeting at a restaurant and he was fine with it. I showed up and saw him talking to two women outside the restaurant. He saw me and approached me. I asked him if he knew them. He said he didn't. He was trying to sell them the insurance. He is so persistent.

I knew a young hearing woman from my past who swore she refuses to date wannabe musicians. Her old date wanted to be a famous rock n roll star, so he pretended to play all kinds of instruments and sing the whole time. That music subject was ALL he talked about during the date. She wanted to tell him to shut up so many times. She told me every time she tried to change the subject, and he simply didn't listen to her except kept bringing up the music subject.

LOL! Geez... so many people are like that these days - so focused on advancing themselves, rather than sticking with being in the present,
with the person. (One reason I'm still single. It's so hard to meet a genuine person these days.)
I have been wondering about your statement above about your old dates. I'm curious why a park, or the beach, weren't to your taste? The others, I certainly could understand.

LOL! Geez... so many people are like that these days - so focused on advancing themselves, rather than sticking with being in the present,
with the person. (One reason I'm still single. It's so hard to meet a genuine person these days.)
I have been wondering about your statement above about your old dates. I'm curious why a park, or the beach, weren't to your taste? The others, I certainly could understand.

That's true. People tend to set their high standards they miss out their opportunity. Compromise, patience and communication are so vital to the relationship, so it will thrive. It's a teamwork and it is much tougher.

I actually like to go to the beach or a park. As for me, it is important to carry conversation with your date alone on the first date. The beach and a park can sometimes be very activity and distracted. In my personal experiences, we were interrupted by random people saw us using ASL or some people we recognized on beaches or parks approached us and they were a distraction and prevented us from getting to know each other. It didn't really develop into something else except just hang out, just more activity, and less talking.

Hey
I'm totally with you 100%! Nice to meet another person who feels this way!
Ah, makes sense - maybe it's because we are in different places - The parks and beaches here are very quiet and not obtrusive, but what you said, makes sense.

Hey
I'm totally with you 100%! Nice to meet another person who feels this way!
Ah, makes sense - maybe it's because we are in different places - The parks and beaches here are very quiet and not obtrusive, but what you said, makes sense.

I used to live in California. Everything is crazy and wild over there. Totally unpredictable. lol

Back