Cute, Toddlers chatting in car ASL

Grayma

Reaction score
Deaf/Hearing parents adopt deaf/hearing boys from China

The mom has a blog: Signs Together

She is hearing, her husband is deaf. She was an interpreter for several years before she met and married her husband. They had three hearing biological children. They decided to adopt two deaf boys from China. As it turns out, one of them is probably HOH, but since neither boy really had a language at all when they came, the family is totally immersing them in ASL.
The mom's blog is mainly about promoting the use of ASL and how the boys' language skills are progressing.

Cute kids, too.

Threads merged
Moderator naisho

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that, and LOVED it. The boys are so cute, and I love that she is showing natural language acquisition in ASL. I want her to post more videos.

As a side note, my 3 yo LOVED watching the videos, and picked up some of the signs :)

I understand what they were talking about without reading the subtitles. They had interesting conversation. They both are so cute!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-fwQpCylW4]Toddlers Chatting in Car ASL - YouTube[/ame]

Wow

I understand what they were talking about without reading the subtitles. They had interesting conversation. They both are so cute!

Toddlers Chatting in Car ASL - YouTube

I was so impressed. I couldn't find the subtitles. I am still trying to learn ASL. But, they sure looked like they were having a great chat. They are so good at signing. Why does it seem so impossible for me?

Ohhh. it did have the subtitles. let me re copy and paste it to see if the subtitles show up.

I tried it and it shows no subtitle. maybe type in youtube so you can see the subtitles, i hope it works

:lol: Cute boys. I think they recently learned after being adopted from China? And they were very clear in their interests in flying machines!

little boys

:lol: Cute boys. I think they recently learned after being adopted from China? And they were very clear in their interests in flying machines!

Is that what they were talking about? I saw them signing "love". Did they talk about eating also?
They are so cute!!!!

I was so impressed. I couldn't find the subtitles. I am still trying to learn ASL. But, they sure looked like they were having a great chat. They are so good at signing. Why does it seem so impossible for me?

Are you watching it on an apple device? IPod iPhone ipad etc, they dont show the subtitles (its actually annotations) on it. Use a PC mac or android to see it.

Btw, to answer your question, could you learn Chinese watching two people talk? Nope, gonna take more effort than that. :)

IPad

Are you watching it on an apple device? IPod iPhone ipad etc, they dont show the subtitles (its actually annotations) on it. Use a PC mac or android to see it.

Btw, to answer your question, could you learn Chinese watching two people talk? Nope, gonna take more effort than that. :)

I do use an IPad. I am glad you told me that is what the problem is. By the way, I am trying so hard to learn ASL. The boys are so cute. Just curious what they were talking about?

I do use an IPad. I am glad you told me that is what the problem is. By the way, I am trying so hard to learn ASL. The boys are so cute. Just curious what they were talking about?

Sorry, for annotations you're gonna have to use a non iDevice except Macs. Political reasons Steve jobs didn't want to support adobe flash on it. :(

Its just basic asl conversation for kids. "See the train helicopter, airplane!"

Thanks

Sorry, for annotations you're gonna have to use a non iDevice except Macs. Political reasons Steve jobs didn't want to support adobe flash on it. :(

Its just basic asl conversation for kids. "See the train helicopter, airplane!"

Thanks for answering both questions.

Yes, I posted about them on the parenting thread. They were both in foster homes in China. Both were thought to be deaf.
A family in America, hearing mom, Deaf dad, three biological hearing kids, sold their large house and moved into a smaller one so they could afford to adopt the boys. Once the boys arrived, the parents learned one boy has no hearing in one ear, but the reason he had no hearing in the other ear was because of ear infections. So, ear infections treated, he can now hear on one side.

However, both boys had not much of any language, Chinese, Sign, whatever. So the parents are totally immersing them in ASL, and the boys are learning very fast. I think I read that the boy who is HOH has quit trying to talk for now and is focused on ASL, and that's just fine with his parents, the focus is on making sure the boys have a language.

The little boy who is deaf, his birth parents put him in foster care and walked away when he was one. His mother thinks maybe that is when they realized he could not hear.:cry:

I am glad he's getting a language now. The family seems very happy and have not had many of the usual difficulties with attachment and adjusting to a new family, new country that adoptive families often work through. I think that's because the boys are so excited to be with people who can communciate with them and give them language.

They are adorable, aren't they?

I saw them signing "love". Did they talk about eating also?
They are so cute!!!!

First they are talking about the car in the shop getting hoisted up on the thing-gummy that hoists cars up (obviously, they don't say that, exactly). Then they talk about airplanes, propeller planes, one asks where is a propeller plane, the little one on the far side says he doesn't know several times, the bigger boy who is closer says he doesn't know, and then he starts signing cooking- the subtitle says he probably did that because it was similar to another sign he wanted to use. I thought he looked like he was thinking it through as he signed, maybe thinking back and forth from one sign to another?
They see a train, they either see or want to see a helicoptor, one of them tells the other soon.
This is probably in mangled order, and I'm going by subtitles not sign. The little guy does the sign for soon by his mouth, maybe that's what looked like eat to you?

They are taking to sign pretty rapidly, but my guess is that is because it's not only their natural language, but they've been starved for language because of their previous lives as foster children in China. I think they were well cared for, physically, and probably even loved, but nobody seems to have used any sign with them at all.

Loved it!!!! I really like the blog too! Thank for sharing!

Why is it something of note that a HOH kid is getting ASL? ALL HOH kids should get ASL! In fact I think he'll have an advantage over those who aren't fluent in ASL.

and I think it's audism of the first order to assume that HOH kids don't "need" ASL.

Oh didn't see this one. agree that they are so smart when they are able to communicate through ASL.

Those tykes melt my heart. It makes me smile to see them taking to signing so easily, because the same situation happened to me yesterday. I volunteered to watch a couple single moms' kids for the day so they could have "girl time." One female toddler was age five and the boy was age four, and boy, they were a handful! Imagine trying to lasso in jelly blobs, and you would be close. I decided to take them to Chuck E Cheese's and once I strapped them into their car seats, they immediately attempted to escape. I said "Sit!" and signed it. They piped down and the boy timidly signed "sitting,' making repeated motions with his hands. I said, "Yes, you are sitting. That is because you listened when I said to sit." I made one motion for sit and repeated motions for sitting. They looked at me, confused. So, I demonstrated. "This is "sit," I announced, plopping myself into the driver's seat. I continued, "This is NOT sitting," getting out of the van, seating myself, getting up and out again, returning once again to my seat, then getting up again. They were laughing. I think they got it. On the way to the pizza joint, I pointed out sights and signed them, and they copied me. The boy asked me to open the car window, making repeated motions with his hands. I complied, opening and shutting the electric window several times, and asked, "Is this what you mean?" He laughed and shook his head, and properly signed the term for shutting the window. They were bright kids, and became enthralled with ASL, what little I could teach them that day. When their mothers came to pick them up, I wish you could have seen the looks on their faces as they watched and listened to the children telling of their day eating pizza and playing Whack-a mole and miniature golf. I think the mothers understood every word. :)

Back