Customer Service

lqcur6

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a university student currently working on a project involving usability and accessibility issues that non-verbal/HOH individuals experience at fast-food chains. I've created a short google survey for the community to address concerns related to this topic:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScCRFyD8aoC_ZadiQ0tUy78AvRGz1Fp_FxMdqLfHG-DqcBr7w/viewform?usp=sf_link

This problem extends farther than just ordering at the drive-thru, but we hope to apply the information gathered to other use cases in the future, and would like to open this topic up for further discussion. I greatly appreciate your help in this endeavor.

A lot of fast food places are installing Kiosks, and apps to order from ahead of time. Think they are already on the game plan in a way.

What sonocativo says and then several of the fast food places, including a local McDonalds, have installed big screens in the drive-thru that list items for sale but then a section of it shows your order as you make it so you can be sure they understood you. That, of course, applies to those of us with just a hearing problem not one with speaking. What I find a big problem is getting requests from the order taker to those that actually put the order together. For example when getting a cinnamon roll I don't want a knife & fork with it but very often find them in the bag even when I have requested to NOT receive them! That is something that is not limited to those of use with hearing problems.

I have not looked at your survey.

What sonocativo says and then several of the fast food places, including a local McDonalds, have installed big screens in the drive-thru that list items for sale but then a section of it shows your order as you make it so you can be sure they understood you. That, of course, applies to those of us with just a hearing problem not one with speaking. What I find a big problem is getting requests from the order taker to those that actually put the order together. For example when getting a cinnamon roll I don't want a knife & fork with it but very often find them in the bag even when I have requested to NOT receive them! That is something that is not limited to those of use with hearing problems.

They never put the jelly and butter in the bag for the breakfast platters, even when asked for extra... and they want $15 Hr.... not on my watch.

Sorry for the late responses! I understand, the idea would apply to individuals that are mute or non-verbal as well. My thing is generally there seems to be a general lack of proper communication channels in place. The knife and fork thing is an interesting point, I thought those were just standard like expecting napkins.

I would appreciate it if you did! I've been putting in work on that as well as a brief website to explain my concept(s) further. It's still very much a work in progress.

A lot of fast food places are installing Kiosks, and apps to order from ahead of time. Think they are already on the game plan in a way.
The kiosks are great for sure but what if you don't want to go inside? They carry germs, aren't sanitized properly and with covid being a problem, especially for immunocompromised individuals, the drive-thru is a better option compared to just getting the food delivered.

Sorry for the late responses! I understand, the idea would apply to individuals that are mute or non-verbal as well. My thing is generally there seems to be a general lack of proper communication channels in place. The knife and fork thing is an interesting point, I thought those were just standard like expecting napkins.

I would appreciate it if you did! I've been putting in work on that as well as a brief website to explain my concept(s) further. It's still very much a work in progress.
They are standard but it is a real battle when you DON'T want them. I don't use them most of the time unless on a few occasions I want to use my own butter on the rolls. When I get something from McDonald's 99% of the time I am on my way home and prefer my regular tableware for anything I would use it for to the plastic from them that is soooo wasteful.

Making any changes there is a battle anymore.

They are standard but it is a real battle when you DON'T want them. I don't use them most of the time unless on a few occasions I want to use my own butter on the rolls. When I get something from McDonald's 99% of the time I am on my way home and prefer my regular tableware for anything I would use it for to the plastic from them that is soooo wasteful.

Making any changes there is a battle anymore.
You're absolutely right it is wasteful. It definitely wouldn't hurt either if they just asked at the end or when you get your stuff.

You're absolutely right it is wasteful. It definitely wouldn't hurt either if they just asked at the end or when you get your stuff.
We have a gallon ziplock freezer bag full of plasticware , we throw them in when we get from fast foods to use for camping. some even have napkins, salt/pepper...LOL

We have a gallon ziplock freezer bag full of plasticware , we throw them in when we get from fast foods to use for camping. some even have napkins, salt/pepper...LOL
I too had quite a collection until I started really making a point of turning them down at the window where they hand you your order. So . . .last fall I gave a bag of them to our church camp to use at the Fall Festival. When I asked before sending them with someone taking other things they did want them. Good for that use as they came wrapped in plastic. Maybe I should start another collection for that use.

Same but they could ask. Uber Eats makes you specify if you want them or not.

I too had quite a collection until I started really making a point of turning them down at the window where they hand you your order. So . . .last fall I gave a bag of them to our church camp to use at the Fall Festival. When I asked before sending them with someone taking other things they did want them. Good for that use as they came wrapped in plastic. Maybe I should start another collection for that use.
That's a good idea.

Back