Curious: what do our deaf members do for a living?

I am a college student and I work at a dog kennel/adoption place.

what kind of teacher?

English Education. I want to eventually work at a school for the Deaf. I assume after I complete my Bachelor's I will need to get certified as a terp and certified to teach 'special needs' children.

I find it fascinating to know where everyone works and/or what they did for a living. Thanks, everyone, for responding!

Byrdie... you crack me up! :laugh2:

:lol: In actuality-- I am an InnKeeper for 11 beach cottages on the Pacific ocean.

If you want to see the official website--send me a PM and I'll be happy to send you the link. :)

I used to work with developmental disabilities as Direct Care staff/Case Manager at a group home for many years, I had to resign from my position due to the staff members smoking on the job and I also used to work with 60+ residents at a nursing home as Activities Director/Activities Assistant. I had to resign from my position due to my health. It was not easy to handle 60+ all by myself. It's very stressful. And plus too many hours but underpaid.
Right now, I am working for a law firm as a part-time Administrative Assistant, a part-time to work with a deaf woman with MR as Respite worker and a part-time Pet sitter. And plus, a part-time Medical school. I was thinking about changing my major because it gets tougher and tougher.. and also, because of my age but I have not decided yet. I probably will be graduating next spring.

Last edited:
I'm a VPK teacher. Pre-k

Currently in college for early childhood education.

I work as a vocational rehabilitation counselor, and am also a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (C.R.C.) and a Licensed Professional Counselor (L.P.C.).

I was a copier tech for 11 years. Got tired of how I was being treated at last job so I quit. Am now working for Walmart. Just started working part time as assembler and delivery person for a small furniture store and hope that will turn into full time time.

I was a copier tech for 11 years. Got tired of how I was being treated at last job so I quit. Am now working for Walmart. Just started working part time as assembler and delivery person for a small furniture store and hope that will turn into full time time.

Let me know how that turns out! Good luck!

:lol: In actuality-- I am an InnKeeper for 11 beach cottages on the Pacific ocean.

If you want to see the official website--send me a PM and I'll be happy to send you the link. :)

I really want to go there sometimes this winter! A year ago today I went clamming in Ocean Park and had a blast! Too bad no one could go clamming with me this time :(

I really want to go there sometimes this winter! A year ago today I went clamming in Ocean Park and had a blast! Too bad no one could go clamming with me this time :(

<raise hand> :naughty:

I am training to be a Mental Health Nurse. I originally wanted to be a general nurse, but Occupational Health at my university told me that I wouldn't be able to work in certain situations, e.g. operating theatres or accident and emergency, because I wouldn't be able to hear or lipread if people wore masks, and I may not understand hurried instructions in an emergency situation. I did a placement on an adult ward and found that as I couldn't hear patient's buzzers, I had to be much more vigilant than the other nurses. On my present placement I have to keep reminding people I work with that I am deaf. Because I have good speech they tend to forget and keep asking me to do things like answer the phone. I have two super power hearing aids and even though my hair is short people still don't seem to notice them.

I am training to be a Mental Health Nurse. I originally wanted to be a general nurse, but Occupational Health at my university told me that I wouldn't be able to work in certain situations, e.g. operating theatres or accident and emergency, because I wouldn't be able to hear or lipread if people wore masks, and I may not understand hurried instructions in an emergency situation. I did a placement on an adult ward and found that as I couldn't hear patient's buzzers, I had to be much more vigilant than the other nurses. On my present placement I have to keep reminding people I work with that I am deaf. Because I have good speech they tend to forget and keep asking me to do things like answer the phone. I have two super power hearing aids and even though my hair is short people still don't seem to notice them.

Dont they have clear masks? I know many RNs who happen to be deaf or hard of hearing. Dont let your university stop you! I wish I went on to be a RN when I was in college but opted for health education instead as thought I wouldnt see equal rights in my days to come. Dont settle.

Dont they have clear masks? I know many RNs who happen to be deaf or hard of hearing. Dont let your university stop you! I wish I went on to be a RN when I was in college but opted for health education instead as thought I wouldnt see equal rights in my days to come. Dont settle.

fortunately - my dentist does wear clear mask. How gracious of him! :thumb:

I work at a hotel for 4 years and I write stories in my spare time and planning to be a writer one day...

may i ask which hotel u work for?

I used to work at holiday inn and ramanda inn but now i work at hampton inn for over a year now.

I agree with you...there are so many accodomations available that ANY workplace can make for deaf people but many hearing people are stubborn about changing their ways. It requires for us to speak up and educate them or if have to..sue.

If you move here in USA, you can be a general nurse like L.P.N or R.N. to work at a nursing home, for example, to take care of the deaf and deaf blind residents. The nursing home is still looking for either L.P.N. or R.N. . So, why not apply for a job here. If you need more info about this nursing home. Please feel free to contact me. :D

may i ask which hotel u work for?

I used to work at holiday inn and ramanda inn but now i work at hampton inn for over a year now.

Wingate Inn for two years then Comfort Inn for four years, as a housekeeping at both Inns.

After Wingate Inn, I did try Comfort Inn by the turnpike, I didn't like it because it's outside, not inside. I also tried the ski resort, FORGET IT!!! hahaha...

We do have Hoilday Inn, Hampton Inn next to my work, even Sleep Inn, Garden Inn (???) and other Inn, but Ramanda Inn is other side of our town.

Did you hear about Las Vegas, they make 50,000 or more a year :shock:

FYI: Clamming is on December 12, 13th, & 14. We also have special winter rates going on. "Pay for 2 nights-get the 3rd night FREE."

If you have a doggie--they're welcomed for a small fee.

:hmm: Maybe we should have an " AD Clamming Weekend? "

Back