Curious, any of you skaters?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am curious, any of you are a roller skater? And where are you from? If you did skate and your favorite rink is closed. What rink was that? I skate ever since I was 13. I am now 57.

I went to...
Empire Skates East DeWitt, NY
Empire Skates West, Baldwinsville, NY
Floss's, Memphis, NY
Sports-O-Rama/Dance-N-Skate/Action Sports and Skate, Mattydale, NY
Rome Roller-A-Away*, Rome, NY
Red Carpet Roller Arena, Boonville, NY
Maxi's Roller Rink, Camillus, NY Cass Park Roller Arena, Ithaca, NY
Reva Rollerdome, Auburn, NY
United Skates of America Rochester, NY,
Skate-N-Place Westvale NY
Guptill's* in Lathem, NY
Floss's in Memphis, NY;
Skate Estate in Vestal*, NY
Skate-N-Place Nedrow NY
Sunrise Rollerland Sacramento, CA
United Skates of America, Miami, FL
Bilou* Fulton, NY
Interskate 88* Oneonta, NY
Black Mamba Skate Park* Eastwood, NY

Note: an * means the rink is still operational.

Wow! as of today, 23 February 2022, 101 views but NO replies from you guys? Hmm. I simply asked if any of you are skaters.. Roller skaters. Apparently the Deaf prefer something else. Thank you for your time.

I did in my younger years Highland Skate Rink from 83-87during high school til the owner burned it down for insurance money, we went every friday and saturday night, a group of my friends would meet up and walk from home about 5 miles to the Granada Theater to see an early movie, walk to McDonalds after to eat, then to Highland to skate and do Breakdance competitions until wee hours of the morning then walk home. A couple other rinks we went to was Rons Roller World but there was always fighting there so Ive only been there once, and a couple places like Cherokee Rec Center, St Anthony's Church, Notre Dame School and others held roller skating in their gymnasiums. I also Ice Skate 2 different parks One is outdoors at Forrest Park only during the winter months ( These are all gone or closed now )

The only ice rink still in operation is Susson Park which is indoors and has a Hocky rink for games during the days/weeks and to the public Fri-Sun unless its changed over the years for hours. There is one roller rink near where I live now That my son skates at occasionally I been there a handfull of times myself long ago but they are only open a few days a week for just a few hours now , not really worth trying to figure out what days and times anymore as its just stupid but they do it to stop kids from cutting classes. bust still just 2 or 3 hours you barely skate by time you get your skates on and they switching from groups ( speed skating, adults only, kids only, dance comp...ect... ) its just stupid in my opinion.

Im just a few years under you and I dont skate anymore due to my spinal injuries and surgeries... but take my young son to skate roller and ice

I did in my younger years Highland Skate Rink from 83-87during high school til the owner burned it down for insurance money, we went every friday and saturday night, a group of my friends would meet up and walk from home about 5 miles to the Granada Theater to see an early movie, walk to McDonalds after to eat, then to Highland to skate and do Breakdance competitions until wee hours of the morning then walk home. A couple other rinks we went to was Rons Roller World but there was always fighting there so Ive only been there once, and a couple places like Cherokee Rec Center, St Anthony's Church, Notre Dame School and others held roller skating in their gymnasiums. I also Ice Skate 2 different parks One is outdoors at Forrest Park only during the winter months ( These are all gone or closed now )

The only ice rink still in operation is Susson Park which is indoors and has a Hocky rink for games during the days/weeks and to the public Fri-Sun unless its changed over the years for hours. There is one roller rink near where I live now That my son skates at occasionally I been there a handfull of times myself long ago but they are only open a few days a week for just a few hours now , not really worth trying to figure out what days and times anymore as its just stupid but they do it to stop kids from cutting classes. bust still just 2 or 3 hours you barely skate by time you get your skates on and they switching from groups ( speed skating, adults only, kids only, dance comp...ect... ) its just stupid in my opinion.

Im just a few years under you and I dont skate anymore due to my spinal injuries and surgeries... but take my young son to skate roller and ice

And not everyone is on all the time... you know, Life. Hope youre happier.

Hi. I see you mentioned a dead rink, Highland Skating Rink. Where was this in? Town and state so I can research and add to my site. I have over 3400 rinks listed now. Ron's Roller World.. I will check that out too as well as three others. They may not host skating anymore. I usually list them. Ice.. I do not count ice rinks. Just roller rinks. Wow, that is why rinks do not open during school hours but they do expand their schedule when schools are off. They usually call up school each year for their school schedule. many skating rinks today are geared for children than it was in the past which was mostly for figure skating and couple skating with organ music. the 70s..Disco era that was for all ages. However, more and more rinks in recent times are having adult skate night. That is once a week. And they have flashback nights such as 80s night, 90s night, etc.

Yes, many rinks have experienced violence in recent decades. This force owners to shut down by the town or by themselves. Thank you for your interesting info!

Agreed, also...being snarky with people is not a way to get them to talk to you. just sayin'
its harder to sneak in than in movie theaters. Second of all, rinks in past couple of decades are being more strict, you pay, you must skate, or you are not allowed in. Rinks are getting strict again like they were in 1930s when RSROA (Roller Skating Rink Owners Association) was formed to combat against violence, sneak-ins, non-skaters, etc. The RSROA successfully brought the Golden Era of 1938 to 1959 for roller skating. Even dress codes. Many still do today. But it is now RSAI (Roller Skating Association International), the replaced association for RSROA which merged with AAU (American Athletic Union) and the current Rollersports (USRollerSports).

Deafness was not a factor for me back then as I was deaf on only one side. But back when I was growing up in the 1950's we skated on the neighborhood sidewalks using skates that clamped & strapped on regular shoes. I also lived in a house with an unfinished basement and skated there. I am not sure just what years it was open but for a number of years there was an indoor rink in the small town I grew up in that was a converted opera/vaudeville theater made by installing the rink over the slope where the seats had been. I was not a regular but did have a school gym class that met there. A few times a youth group sponsored trips to a neighboring town that had a rink.

Thoes were the days my frends, but the question ER me think is referring to a new type of skater like maybe slay boarder

I like rollerblading. I would often go to rinks but many of them closed
yes, many are closed. However, I see what kind of skates you have. they can work outdoors. You can skate outdoors. Where you from and what rinks they were closed? I can add them to my list.

Back