Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Average

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Not Fair At All

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters

Celticty

Reaction score
I am working on a project in my ASL class and I am trying to find out how hard it is for Deaf or HH people to find a Movie Theater that offers CC in order for them to go and enjoy movies like ones that just come into theaters. Please let me know how hard it is, I know it can be hard because it is hard to find anything really.

Never seen one in my area. But then again, I do not go to movies often, due to cost. I usually wait it out until it comes out on DVDs.

Some of people might rely to internet website to check if there is any CC movies are on the specific date. I went on e last friday and turns out the person who works for the caption machine was off that night and the movie didnt show the captions and me along with my friend wasn't happy and they gave us only two guest pass tickets :roll: which they did not even refund out money as well, we both decided to write a letter to them soon.

I also subscribe to the newsletter from both of my local theaters. They offer either one movie/day with open captioning or (in the multiplex) one theater that always has rear window captioning.

was the rear window captioning worth the time? Down here they have been researching about it.

We have one theater in one complex that has rear window captions. It is never what I want to see, it is hard to use and I would rather rent DVD.

If they had open caption, I would like it more.

was the rear window captioning worth the time? Down here they have been researching about it.

It's ok, have only used it once...

We have one theater in one complex that has rear window captions. It is never what I want to see, it is hard to use and I would rather rent DVD.

If they had open caption, I would like it more.

I agree. Theatre chooses which movie to caption. Typically it is a new release, but not always the new release I want to see. Mostly I rent DVDs too.

when I do go. I get the head set... but with the surround sounds. It usually, drowns out the head set. NO good. :(

I rather to wait for the DVD to come out.

What is Open Captioning? What kind of way do you wish they had captioning?

Open captioning means that you can not turn it off at all.

Some of the theaters have Open Caption or Closed Caption, or Descriptive Video, but I have a hard time finding one near me, because most theaters that does have (CC), (OC) (DV) are too far from me mostly two to three hours away. I find it so unfair. :(

Thank you everyone for giving your opinions on this. It is helping me out a lot.

I added a poll so you can vote for how fair you think the movie theater system is for Deaf.

It's not hard for me.

The movie theater that shows OC movies here is Regal Cinemas.

So, I go to regalcinemas.com and see the listing there. :)

I used it once, it was a small screen that fit into my drink cup holder I think. It was see thru and you lined up the captioning on the bottom of the small screen on the big movie screen, the arm was bendable. It was alright, at least I could get what was going on in the movie. Don't usually go to movies or watch much tv, rent the odd dvd if it has subtitles or cc. It frustrates me cause many good documentries are not cc'd.

I rather wait for DVD to come out, as most of movies are screened with CC in the middle of week and Middle of the day..... there is deaf workers who work week days!! Sigh....
they also only screen it 2 or 3 times before moving to another local cinema so if it shows i often is busy working/doing something else. they give one weeks notice usually on thursdays before. Not enough time especially if you are working.

Back