How fair are Movie Theaters for Deaf

• Very Fair

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Average

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Not Fair At All

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
Went to see Wolverine last night, open captioned. Great movie, but the captions shut off 15 minutes before the end of the movie. The manager asked why I didn't come out and tell someone. I told him first, I didn't want to miss any more of the action (I doubt they'd rewind the movie) and second, that was his job, not mine.

Went to see Wolverine last night, open captioned. Great movie, but the captions shut off 15 minutes before the end of the movie. The manager asked why I didn't come out and tell someone. I told him first, I didn't want to miss any more of the action (I doubt they'd rewind the movie) and second, that was his job, not mine.

That is crudy. What did you think of it? I loved the movie.

WELL!! I had my debate why all movies and tv shows should have closed captioning I was for and my opponent was against it. I did very well with it and I talked to my teacher later and he said he was so dissapointed in the class because I was sure that I won because I put up a very good argument. But my opponent won. I honestly think it is because alot of hearing people (especially teenagers, which my class has alot of) think that things would just be way more difficult to adjust to make it so everyone can enjoy a movie. I was so mad at all of them.

I live in a city of around 1 million people. According to Google maps there are 98 theaters in the city. Only 1 has rear window captioning BUT they are waiting to "Upgrade" and haven't shown a captioned movie in at least a year.

So, I'm always the loser who never wants to go to the theater with my friends.
The theater provides assistive listening devices but they are made for people who don't wear hearing aids (old people). They have a headphone thing that would just make my BTEs squeal.
I've gotten used to waiting until movies come out on DVD and just renting them then.

What I really don't understand is why ALL movies aren't open captioned to begin with. People complain that the captions are "distracting" but if they would just wait, they would get used to it.

I live in a city of around 1 million people. According to Google maps there are 98 theaters in the city. Only 1 has rear window captioning BUT they are waiting to "Upgrade" and haven't shown a captioned movie in at least a year.

So, I'm always the loser who never wants to go to the theater with my friends.
The theater provides assistive listening devices but they are made for people who don't wear hearing aids (old people). They have a headphone thing that would just make my BTEs squeal.
I've gotten used to waiting until movies come out on DVD and just renting them then.

What I really don't understand is why ALL movies aren't open captioned to begin with. People complain that the captions are "distracting" but if they would just wait, they would get used to it.

I totally understand, that is basically part of the reason I lost is because most hearies refuse to adjust so everyone is equal. It makes me so mad, no matter what I do and tell people they don't learn.

There are a large number of movie theaters here in the Twin Cities area that shows open captioning (and rear-window but I hate that!) films; there's a listing that gets updated regularly. I keep forgetting to check it on a regular basis so by the time I do, the open captioned night already came and went -- my fault. But we do get pretty good access here, IMO.

When I was young back in the 60s and 70s, I used to read the bestselling books before I went to the movie theatres. Reading the books helped me understand what the movies was about. Sometimes I liked to go to Subtitle movies (Open Caption) like the French or other countries film. Not too bad. When the movie company produced the movies into the tapes which was good as long as they had close captioned, but some tapes do not have close captioned. GRRR. But then DVD came out which was and still is a whole lot better than tapes with most of them either Subtitles or Close Captioned. I loved it very much. Also I sometimes watched Pay Per View movies which have Close Captioned. T.V. also have Closed Captioned whether they have old or new movies. Now I don't have to read the books before going to the movies anymore. I love and enjoy watching movies with Close Captioned very much. :D

Totally, unfair. The deaf person can't enjoy a movie without CC it makes it difficult to watch and understand what's going on. I wish, the movie theaters would provide more support and not just have one or two movies that are CC. Its very unfair and a waste of money in my opinion.

We have ONE theater, no captions. Period. If there were a crowd, then WE could pay party price and special order a cc flick. Total BS.

Totally, unfair. The deaf person can't enjoy a movie without CC it makes it difficult to watch and understand what's going on. I wish, the movie theaters would provide more support and not just have one or two movies that are CC. Its very unfair and a waste of money in my opinion.

We have ONE theater, no captions. Period. If there were a crowd, then WE could pay party price and special order a cc flick. Total BS.

This is exactly why both me and my teacher were mad that I lost my Debate because I believe that all movie theaters should have open captioning and how it wouldn't affect anything. I swear other hearies drive me crazy. I can't seem to make them see that they are ignorant.

Yes, I went to the movies on Christmas Day with my deaf friend. We were not happy that she had pay to watch a movie that was not closed captioned. They did have one movie cc but not Marley and Me
:( , they told us Benjamin Buttons had CC that's what we came to see:roll:

The manager in my local theatre said if I come Tuesdays and Wednesdays and request, thay will turn on captioning for any movie. They said there are so few people at the theatre, they don't mind.

So why can't they turn them on all the time? Is it really such an imposition on the hearing people???

I just checked here for captioned.

Angels and Demons is the lucky movie to be captioned.

What deaf people would want to see Star Trek anyway? :(

I just checked here for captioned.

Angels and Demons is the lucky movie to be captioned.

What deaf people would want to see Star Trek anyway? :(

Why wouldn't anyone? I hear it is an awesome movie, you may not be able to hear it but it is cool sci fi stuff lol. I am such a nerd.

The manager in my local theatre said if I come Tuesdays and Wednesdays and request, thay will turn on captioning for any movie. They said there are so few people at the theatre, they don't mind.

So why can't they turn them on all the time? Is it really such an imposition on the hearing people???

I honestly don't think it would be but of course that is one out of millions of hearing people. I just wish I could show them how unfair it really is but of course most of them are too selfish to look past themselves.

I am surprised to realize that there are a lot of factors that influence the poll. Thinking about it, the factors I am speaking of include: research skills, business infrastructure, personal preference, disposable income, distance in location, program availability/accessibility, and timing. I have noticed that when new movies enter the scene, there is a waiting period before those with CC becomes available. This frustrates me as more often than not, my hearing friends go out to see the new movies while I am at odds about seeing one without CC. And when it does come out with CC, they have already seen it. And there have been times when I visited the cinema and asked if CC was available, it usually wasn't. Thus I did not go ahead and buy the ticket no matter how bad I wanted to watch the movie. I still remember that experience very clearly as if it happened an hour ago. This guy was so confused about what I was asking about and kept referring back to me about what Closed Captioning is. I explained it to him and then he was like, "Ohhhhhhh ohh now I know what you're talking about. You're talking about the open caption, right?" I was completely beside myself and let out a big sigh. So I told him yes, so is it available? He checked the computer and said no, I'm sorry.

"Thank you sir, have a good day"

I walked away.

It depends on how much one is willing to overcome the inconveniences in order to go to a theater with CC. The CC is available without a doubt, but it is not as easily accessible as those without. From the consumer perspective, it looks selfish and requires further development. From the business perspective, it saves money to provide CC in certain locations and saving money means profits.

I don't like the setup as it is now, but it is still there for deaf/hh individuals to have enjoyable viewing experiences in cinemas.

I also subscribe to the newsletter from both of my local theaters. They offer either one movie/day with open captioning or (in the multiplex) one theater that always has rear window captioning.

ughhh...rear window captioning ALWAYS makes me dizzy at theaters. But its also a pain in the butt because you'd have to keep adjusting it until you're able to see the captions. and sometimes it's also embarressing for me because people are always pointing at me and pointing at the rear window captioning like its totally weird and that they're glad that they're not me. So i just pefer not going to the theaters and wait for the DVD to come out that actually has captioning on the television

Back