Cultural Difference - Hearing and Deaf

Yes, I know ASL and have deaf friends and not just in Florida....I've noticed that the ladies have better manners than the men....(and probably so the same with hearies)....Good manners can be taught and learned...(same as for the Tipping thread you started before)....

As for not knowing how someone can deliberately fart....haha!....my boys have deliberately ripped them off in their rooms, having a contest of sorts...but that's their rooms, not the dinner table or the living/den area where we relax or around guests or at a restaurant, etc....Time & a place for everything, ya know?.....And they don't fart around their girlfriends either...If you believe that women like it, well, I don't think so.

Nobody was farting at the table in this video, you know?

What question?

in our house - we're pretty blunt about it even though my parents are hearing but we don't get hot and angry over it. None of us know how to deliberately fart. I don't really know how people do that

just to make sure there's no misunderstanding in cultural difference. can you provide me an example of what's considered rude and what's considered being blunt?

I believe I did so clearly in the post you quoted. But that is no big deal. You are free to describe it any way you choose.

in our house - we're pretty blunt about it even though my parents are hearing but we don't get hot and angry over it. None of us know how to deliberately fart. I don't really know how people do that

I don't see any question.

I believe I did so clearly in the post you quoted. But that is no big deal. You are free to describe it any way you choose.

describe what? you did not give me any example. I'd like to know what's considered rude to you and what's considered blunt.

describe what? you did not give me any example. I'd like to know what's considered rude to you and what's considered blunt.

Again I think that was clear in the post you quoted. If not we can just move on. Be you.....that's the most important thing. :) I mean if sharing excrement stories at the dinner table is your thing, who am I to say anything. Enjoy your dinner.

Again I think that was clear in the post you quoted. If not we can just move on. Be you.....that's the most important thing. :)
oh you don't want to come up with your own examples.

I mean if sharing excrement stories at the dinner table is your thing, who am I to say anything. Enjoy your dinner.
You missed the point.

:lol: And then there are the hearing people who get upset just because asked how much a house cost!

? And then there are the cranky people who jump to false conclusions. I wasn't upset, and I made that clear.

I wanted to know if this was a cultural issue or something specific to the person. I needed to know. You don't know the back story and should not have jumped to erroneous conclusions.

? And then there are the cranky people who jump to false conclusions. I wasn't upset, and I made that clear.

I wanted to know if this was a cultural issue or something specific to the person. I needed to know. You don't know the back story and should not have jumped to erroneous conclusions.

:lol: I don't really care. I didn't know there was a rule on how I should reach my conclusions.

You shouldn't lecture me... :nana:

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have bothered to respond to. :P

And for the record ,, you silly, superior thinking woman, I am certain your one deaf friend asked your daughter.

It isn't rocket science to know all about you.

Yes, I know ASL and have deaf friends and not just in Florida....I've noticed that the ladies have better manners than the men....(and probably so the same with hearies)...

This! LOL

I think the video was an exaggeration, but I get the point. I've seen here on alldeaf many times that Deaf are blunt and just say it as they feel it.

BUT ladies are definitely more mannered than men, deaf or hearing! :P

again - you're missing the point. I'll make it simpler for you to understand. deaf people = blunt. hearing people = eggshell.

This is something I like about deaf people. It reminds me when I was in elementary school I would often get in trouble with my teachers for "not being respectful" and I never understood why they would say that about me. I was finally told that I need to be more tactful (= not so blunt).

For example, one teacher made a mistake on the blackboard, I raised my hand and told her she made a mistake. Not in a smartass way, just plainly. a note was sent home to my parents for my bad behavior. The teacher said I should have told her "I think there may be an error, Mrs. Smith".

This is something I like about deaf people. It reminds me when I was in elementary school I would often get in trouble with my teachers for "not being respectful" and I never understood why they would say that about me. I was finally told that I need to be more tactful (= not so blunt).

For example, one teacher made a mistake on the blackboard, I raised my hand and told her she made a mistake. Not in a smartass way, just plainly. a note was sent home to my parents for my bad behavior. The teacher said I should have told her "I think there may be an error, Mrs. Smith".

If I were your parent, I'd ask you to give a note back to your teacher - "You are still wrong, Mrs. Smith."

Personally, I don't have a problem being blunt in most cases. If you ask a direct question, I will usually give my honest opinion. But sometimes people don't want to hear it. Pretty sure some hearing folks don't like to hear it so bluntly.

Diplomacy is built around the concept of tact and allowing the other person to move to your point of view, or to a compromise while saving face.

In hearing culture, bluntness can embarrass people. Tact allows people to save face, and people can appreciate, remember it and help you out later on. I think that may be what it boils down to.

I've tried to be tactful, but hey, I tend to call things as I see it. *shrugs*

That said, I'm talking about my own perspective here. I don't have a lot of experience in the deaf community yet.

The video is really not making any sense here and very ridiculous. On the last end of the video, he said "that is Deaf Culture" when he was combining with ASL and talking with voice. The Deaf way is Deaf Culture which mean ASL, but we are very blunt when we tell hearing people our deaf perspective. I have asked my principal for ASL interpreters and notetakers in high school. They say no and I was upset and really wanted to be blunt with them but I knew I would get in trouble and be suspended. But still I did not give up and tried again but no avail to my pleas. Other deaf classmates wanted ASL interpreters, too. We remain and went through the oral method way in the mainstream schools. No wonder it take a long time to fight for our Deaf rights. Geeze!!!!

And for the record ,, you silly, superior thinking woman, I am certain your one deaf friend asked your daughter.

It isn't rocket science to know all about you.

Nope. I don't think I'm superior. I do know that I have more information about this particular situation than you do, however.
That's not the back story I am talking about. It has something to do with combining various pieces of a puzzle with information a third party, who is very HoH and signs fluently, gave me. Turns out, it wasn't a deaf culture issue at all, according to somebody who actually has enough information to reach an informed conclusion.

You can jump to conclusions all you like. But when you jump to those conclusions without any real evidence, it's your own credibility that looks a little shaky.

Back