Cultural Difference - Hearing and Deaf

sometimes its best to shut your mouth

like if youre in a mob house (mafia or whatever) moan about bad manners wil have you SHOT DEAD in an instant !!

or in other times with the Godfather DONT fucking be rude!!

aka the time and places....
Mafia films are great examples of this

go bloody watch it Fuzzybrained

scaled.php

i like this Gif amie its a great one, good find!
:thumb:

:lol:

Sorry you are having yet another bad day here.

You can have your opinion, I'll have mine.

I am not having a bad day. yes I have my opinion and you have yours.
Now the question is who is right?
I am sorry to say I am.

Just read the etiquette rules.
There is a good reason we have one at all (etiquette).

[ame=http://askville.amazon.com/important-manners/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7588651]Why is it important to have good manners?[/ame]
What are Good Manners?
Granted, they differ a bit from nation to nation but in general they are more or less the same.

Different set of rules apply to business etiquette, to social etiquette,
table manners, telephone manners end more.

About All Kinds of Etiquette & Manners

I am curious, I wonder how many of you take care of just eating properly, according to etiquette?

have you ever looked around at people eating in a fast food diner?
It's a disaster!

Fuzzy

I am not having a bad day. yes I have my opinion and you have yours.
Now the question is who is right?
I am sorry to say I am. :lol:

I'm curious. How much fluff do you have between your ears?

Hey. Nobody HAS to be right here. Everyone is allowed THEIR OWN opinion.

What one views as rude or blunt may not be the same opinion of another's. I don't give a darn what your Miss Manners has to say.

Thank you for making my day. It's too hard not to laugh at this.

Maybe you should take Naisho's post into consideration here.

What one views as rude or blunt may not be the same opinion of another's. I don't give a darn what your Miss Manners has to say.

:lol::lol::laugh2::wiggle::wiggle::werd:

Wow! I was tense just reading these responses. I am a hearing person, yet I think I understood both perspectives. Maybe most hearing people would try to be more "polite" when disgussing such matters as "poop", even so, sometimes politiness can be rude as well. For example it I had something in my teeth while talking to someone, I would like for someone to "whisper" and let me know it. However, I would not expect a deaf person to "whisper", but I would hope s/he would be discrete so as not to embarrass me. So I guess what I am trying to say is " good manners can be a matter of perspective, but I think most people would agree, "good manners are usually most appreciated in all cultures- universal".

Have you ever wonder what's the point of Miss Manners, then, Miss Fluff-free????

if indeed it was acceptable for everyone just do as everyone pleases/feel comfortable,
then what's the point of having etiquette at all?
or any rules, policies, laws -whatever?

Suppose I feel comfortable letting one most foul SBD after one while you are eating. Or sick with stomach flu. Good appetite!! or speedy recovery!!
After all I AM COMFORTABLE. I don't consider this being rude, just BLUNT.
:wave:

Fuzzy

sometimes its best to shut your mouth

like if youre in a mob house (mafia or whatever) moan about bad manners wil have you SHOT DEAD in an instant !!

or in other times with the Godfather DONT fucking be rude!!

aka the time and places....
Mafia films are great examples of this

go bloody watch it Fuzzybrained

As a Sicilian, I don't appreciate the stereotypes and I get it regularly from ignorant people that look to movies for examples of how people live. Those in the mafia are scum, plain and simple. They're not glamorous, they're not The Godfather or The Sopranos or even Goodfellas - they're just scum. Don't compare the Italian culture with trash or pretend to know the family dynamics in an Italian household. If you're looking at movies and drawing these conclusions, you're clueless. No one in my family hit anyone, belonged to the mob or shot anyone.

Most of the posts on this thread are dealing with individual issues and you can't color coat those in the deaf world any more than you can color coat anyone in the hearing. You want a cultural difference? Move to the country side in China. You'll find out fast. I don't see a major difference between deaf and hearing. Stupidity is universal and both groups are guilty of screwing up once in a while.

As a Sicilian, I don't appreciate the stereotypes and I get it regularly from ignorant people that look to movies for examples of how people live. Those in the mafia are scum, plain and simple. They're not glamorous, they're not The Godfather or The Sopranos or even Goodfellas - they're just scum. Don't compare the Italian culture with trash or pretend to know the family dynamics in an Italian household. If you're looking at movies and drawing these conclusions, you're clueless. No one in my family hit anyone, belonged to the mob or shot anyone.

Most of the posts on this thread are dealing with individual issues and you can't color coat those in the deaf world any more than you can color coat anyone in the hearing. You want a cultural difference? Move to the country side in China. You'll find out fast. I don't see a major difference between deaf and hearing. Stupidity is universal and both groups are guilty of screwing up once in a while.

Excuse me, but Grummer did point out he meant mafia, mob and Godfather (isn't he THE head of mafia??)
and advised me to watch mafia movies,

not the regular Sicilian or other Italian family and or/society.
So I think your complaint has a moot point, sorry.

Fuzzy

are you 100 percent sicilian?

HEY!!!!
I LOVE ITALIANS, their wines, cheese, pastas, pizzas and WOMEN!!

yes films are bullshit stereotypes OF course it is, its like saying "Go watch "Escape From New York" or 'The Bronx Warriors' to make a reference to the inner-city gang's etiquette...while i KNOW its NOT reflecting the REAL Bronx, for all we can know their ARE ordinary people and rich people and the whole lot mixed in between, which is Nothing like tvs or movies. The only point i was making it that the 'mafia in movies' has REALLY good example (because it is explicit in the way showing what are the manners and the 'time and place' to open the blabbermouth or when to shut it'..that is ALL.
I am very aware its stereotype are very misleading and it can make people overgeneralise. I also happen to KNEW a real life girl (Deaf) whose her father was in the Mafia (and he went into hiding for 20 years now they 'forgotten him only because he was simply a (getaway) driver - a lowest of the ranks they just came to realise he's a 'nobody with no threat to their secrecy' so they left him alone (unlike films showing they'd kill ANYONE at a whim without reason)...

anyway..sorry about that, all i was trying to do is to point out to Miss Fluff free to get some sense on when to shut her yapping gob, and start using her fekn brain.

luckily enough... there's no "eggshell" language equivalency in ASL. we just say it as is... hence blunt nature in deaf culture. :lol:

I know people that are hearing and they will be very blunt when talking.

not always, I DO know some very cunning signs that is NOT obvious and can certainly be used as a convert conversating on an 'eggshell' exposed talking...that is the ones in interest would not pick it up...as signs CAN be used ambiguiously just like spoken language users do often take this method. I'd hazard my guess is that some of you Lack experience in Sign and probably had been divorced from older cohorts to have an oppurtunity to learn from them...so this sort of scenario has repeated too much for too long....so the cunning level using signs has been lost to some...

get my drift?

Back