Cultural Difference - Hearing and Deaf

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5Giorr4YI]Deaf Culture: Openness (ASL) - YouTube[/ame]

ha ha ha ha close enough true.. if someone comments about the toilet then i would not eat for a few hours or go ahead to eat it depends on my mood.

i b.s.l .i explain to hearing friends words not wasted in ASL/BSL they see it as blunt

:lol: And then there are the hearing people who get upset just because asked how much a house cost!

Well, at my house, if we are sitting at the table and we or someone is eating something, we don't say "I've gotta take a poop"...come back and explain how it went.... We just say "Excuse me, going to the bathroom"....I can see a group of guys explaining how their poop was or looked...but while we are eating?....Bad manners....Disgusting if you ask me.

Well, at my house, if we are sitting at the table and we or someone is eating something, we don't say "I've gotta take a poop"...come back and explain how it went.... We just say "Excuse me, going to the bathroom"....I can see a group of guys explaining how their poop was or looked...but while we are eating?....Bad manners....Disgusting if you ask me.

I agree..... video seemed pretty silly.

not really. it's deaf culture *shrug*

but you're missing the point.

not really. it's deaf culture *shrug*

but you're missing the point.

Pretty sure you've heard "there's a time and place for everything"....and no matter what culture, it's a disgusting thing to say while eating.

Inasmuch as farting at the dinner table...if the family were just sitting around and shooting the bull, I can see someone saying such things as this and get a big laugh out of it, as I probably would say ''ewwww"...and laugh also. So in this video, the man was eating at the time, if he wasn't, then no big deal. I'm sure if we went out to eat, and I excused myself to the bathroom and came back and told you "all about it"....just don't believe you would like that, and vise-versa...it would be gross.

:lol: And then there are the hearing people who get upset just because asked how much a house cost!

Well, the way I see it, it's noone's business how much my house cost, and asking a lot of questions makes it seem they are "nosey"....If someone came right out and asked me bluntly, I would reply nicely..."enough!"..and possibiliy change the subject. Perhaps it's the way some people do ask a question....I would rather ask..."What's the price range in this community?"...without being so blunt about it.

Pretty sure you've heard "there's a time and place for everything"....and no matter what culture, it's a disgusting thing to say while eating.
again - you're missing the point. I'll make it simpler for you to understand. deaf people = blunt. hearing people = eggshell.

Inasmuch as farting at the dinner table...if the family were just sitting around and shooting the bull, I can see someone saying such things as this and get a big laugh out of it, as I probably would say ''ewwww"...and laugh also. So in this video, the man was eating at the time, if he wasn't, then no big deal. I'm sure if we went out to eat, and I excused myself to the bathroom and came back and told you "all about it"....just don't believe you would like that, and vise-versa...it would be gross.

that's hearing perspective and hearing culture. and we cannot hear farting anyway.

and no we don't laugh at farting like hearing people. we would point it out and scorn them if we smell it - "dude!!! <insert comment>". that's us deaf people being blunt and out-spoken.

Well, the way I see it, it's noone's business how much my house cost, and asking a lot of questions makes it seem they are "nosey"....If someone came right out and asked me bluntly, I would reply nicely..."enough!"..and possibiliy change the subject. Perhaps it's the way some people do ask a question....I would rather ask..."What's the price range in this community?"...without being so blunt about it.

luckily enough... there's no "eggshell" language equivalency in ASL. we just say it as is... hence blunt nature in deaf culture. :lol:

i just sign 'excuse,toilet' or with friends then just the one word. House expensive deaf or hearing i just sign cost of it.
i signed many years and use about three signs to every five or six word.plenty of shorten signs

again - you're missing the point. I'll make it simpler for you to understand. deaf people = blunt. hearing people = eggshell.

that's hearing perspective and hearing culture. and we cannot hear farting anyway.

and no we don't laugh at farting like hearing people. we would point it out and scorn them if we smell it - "dude!!! <insert comment>". that's us deaf people being blunt and out-spoken.

Hey...perhaps ur missing the point too...I've been deaf 50 years, and no parents to teach me "manners". I learned that on my own.....And if my son, deaf or hearing, came back to the table explaining about his "poop", then he would get a tongue-lashing from me....And I would ask for a "tip" to cover the hard work I put out to cook a nice and healthy meal...and for him to ruin it by talking about his "poop"!....So I can be "blunt" about that too....

As for hearies laughing about farting at the table, not in my house!....If it happened, I would tell the person who farted to get up and clean my kitchen chair, and excuse themselves from the table. We did have that problem a few weeks ago, when a hearie came to eat and passed gas several times...My boys looked real uncomfortable about it, but did not tell me until she left....Perhaps it was an "accident"...it's hard for me to believe that anyone would do that deliberately at the dinner table, especially since she was a guest.

Hey...perhaps ur missing the point too...I've been deaf 50 years, and no parents to teach me "manners". I learned that on my own.....And if my son, deaf or hearing, came back to the table explaining about his "poop", then he would get a tongue-lashing from me....And I would ask for a "tip" to cover the hard work I put out to cook a nice and healthy meal...and for him to ruin it by talking about his "poop"!....So I can be "blunt" about that too....

As for hearies laughing about farting at the table, not in my house!....If it happened, I would tell the person who farted to get up and clean my kitchen chair, and excuse themselves from the table. We did have that problem a few weeks ago, when a hearie came to eat and passed gas several times...My boys looked real uncomfortable about it, but did not tell me until she left....Perhaps it was an "accident"...it's hard for me to believe that anyone would do that deliberately at the dinner table, especially since she was a guest.

It's like I said in another thread....It's like people are trying to excuse rude as being blunt. The house price situation fits the blunt label for me. Excrement??? Not so much

so you've been deaf for 50 years... so you know ASL and are very involved in deaf community?

that's fine. your house. your rules.

in our house - we're pretty blunt about it even though my parents are hearing but we don't get hot and angry over it. None of us know how to deliberately fart. I don't really know how people do that :dunno2:

It's like I said in another thread....It's like people are trying to excuse rude as being blunt. The house price situation fits the blunt label for me. Excrement??? Not so much

just to make sure there's no misunderstanding in cultural difference. can you provide me an example of what's considered rude and what's considered being blunt?

I actually like the video. I've seen another video made by same people. One of them is a CODA, and even said it was exaggerating, but trying to get the point out. We usually have Deaf/hearing gathering for dinners, and if you have a piece of food stuck between your teeth, Deaf person would be the first to tell you right away in a second- "YOUR TEETH GREEN." Hearing people are either slow or feel uneasy to let you know that you have something in your teeth.

For instance, I've been observed that my hearing friends were having conservation with this hearing girl for a while. I was "waiting" for one of them to let her know that she had a giant booger hanging out from her nose, but nope. I am deaf, and am a visual person. Naturally, I look at their facial expressions, and body languages. After 15 minutes, this same girl started talking to me, and I had to tell her right away by pointing my nose "you have a booger up your nose." She was surprised, and covered it up immediately. I can tell she was definitely embarrassed. It was ridiculous to have a long conversation with this girl with a giant booger hanging out of her nose in front of you. It was distracting. It's not the first time I've seen this similar behavior before.

We use our senses except hearing, and we tell what our senses inform us. We don't care because we don't hear embarrassing sounds like keeping flushing a few times, water keeps spinning, bubbles, flatulence, etc. That guy (The Deaf way) described his poop experience based on his visual observance, not sounds.

so you've been deaf for 50 years... so you know ASL and are very involved in deaf community?

that's fine. your house. your rules.

in our house - we're pretty blunt about it even though my parents are hearing but we don't get hot and angry over it. None of us know how to deliberately fart. I don't really know how people do that :dunno2:

Yes, I know ASL and have deaf friends and not just in Florida....I've noticed that the ladies have better manners than the men....(and probably so the same with hearies)....Good manners can be taught and learned...(same as for the Tipping thread you started before)....

As for not knowing how someone can deliberately fart....haha!....my boys have deliberately ripped them off in their rooms, having a contest of sorts...but that's their rooms, not the dinner table or the living/den area where we relax or around guests or at a restaurant, etc....Time & a place for everything, ya know?.....And they don't fart around their girlfriends either...If you believe that women like it, well, I don't think so.

Back