Cued Speech: your opinion?

InnocentOdion

Reaction score
Hey! :)

I've just been watching some stuff on cued speech, and I've noticed there's a few threads here and there, so I thought I would ask.

What are people's opinions on cued speech? Does anyone use it here?

I've just been watching some stuff on it. It looks really difficult and slow, but it looks like it could be useful for some people. I don't really like it much though.

I'd like to know if anyone thinks it's easier than just lipreading, too.

There's something else, but I've forgot. :dunno2: I'll ask if I remember it.

:ty: all!
:)

I think its helpful, but it's helpful more as a secondary method, rather then a primary method. It's a good "bridge" for teaching kids phonetics through a visual medium.

I think its helpful, but it's helpful more as a secondary method, rather then a primary method. It's a good "bridge" for teaching kids phonetics through a visual medium.

I agree with u.

I know how to cue 'at' someone- it's very easy to learn, but it takes quite a while to make the handshapes match up to anything resembling normal speaking speeds.

I think it's a viable option in terms of aiding speech-reading, but I also believe that sign should be any child's first and primary language.

Cued speech still assumes pretty good speech-reading skills, which takes time to develop- time that could be devoted to childhood.

That said, loml has more or less made me hate cueing in general, so I'm biased.

For me, I wish I would have known about Cued Speech when our (deaf-) daughter was born. However, CS is not used in Holland, nor Norway.. so we didn't hear about it..
But I can understand the appeal of BSL. Learning a new, exciting language is a wonderful experience, and with many BSL-user around you, it would be an obvious choice.
I've just been watching some stuff on it. It looks really difficult and slow, but it looks like it could be useful for some people. I don't really like it much though.
Difficult..? - In 20 hours / lessons, someone can learn CS, in the sense that they can cue any word they want. Speed comes with training....
Slow..? - CS can be done at the speed of speech. CS doesn't need to translate. It transliterates.

BSL will require more time to learn, and it's a different language, so one needs translation.

I'm so glad cued speech helps some people. It goes back to the old line, "Different strokes for different folks."

Of the samples I've seen by even practiced cuers, I find it distracting to reading lips. It ranks right up there with covering the mouth while talking, continually nodding for emphasis, or giving me profiles of the face while speaking to me.

When speakers do any of the above, I ask for the reasonable accommadation to try for less distractions and a more direct angle. If they won't comply, I ask that they write to me if they can't sign.

I realize I'm not the perfect candidate for cued speech, but my considered opinion is it's not for me.

Last edited:
It's another tool in the toolbox and if a kid responds well to it and acquires language naturally, then I'm all in favor of it.

That said, loml has more or less made me hate cueing in general,
*spits out Decaf Diet Coke* You owe me a new monitor.
I really do think that they should use it in English classes for dhh kids. Exactly like using phonetics or Hooked on Phonics. However, I do not think that they should use it as a PRIMARY form of communication, especially since folks who only cue are overall pretty rare.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that CS also aids in speechreading.

To remove the ambiguity from speech reading is the function for which it was designed. However, there are those deaf who will tell you they actually find it distracting and it interferes with their ability to speech read.

Back