'Cued speech' has produced strong academic results -- and a dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me that CS has its place just as other tools do. I don't believe there is a panacea approach. What I believe is that you have to find what works to meet your objective. If becoming literate in your native language is not part of the objective, then you might want to re-evaluate your goals.

Perhaps you would but if the experiences were both from deaf individuals then you may choose to weight them differently. If the issues involved parenting you may view the hearing parents' experiences of more value.

Bottomline, I say leave it to the individual to decide and disagree with that. We could each point out hundreds of scenarios where "common sense" would favor one set of experiences over another but then that is why O say leave it to the individual to decide rather then be told whose expereinces are more genuine.

Apparently you just find it necessary to argue that point for the sake of arguing

Leave it to the individual to deprive deaf children of language? That would be selfish by me and other people who have seen the irrevocable damages that still is done by oralists. No, that is not going to happen.

Leave it to the individual to deprive deaf children of language? That would be selfish by me and other people who have seen the irrevocable damages that still is done by oralists. No, that is not going to happen.

Unfortunately, it does happen and I see it year after year when those kids get referred to our program after becoming so language delayed. It seems that the idea is that by putting them in our program, they will learn ASL and get caught up just like that. Doesnt work that way. Their ASL is so much different from those who have grown up with ASL. It becomes very apparent with receptive skills and critical thinking skills. A big big difference with those who learned ASL later with no strong L1 foundation. It is so much harder to teach them because their cognitive processing had been severely impaired due to years lost of language development. ASL does NOT fix the problem if one is years and years delayed.

flip

flip - ASL is used to communicate in ASL. CS can be and is used to communicate or learn to write in English, French, Spanish etc.

No thanks, I would never make it to stay with CS when I know the more livelier ASL.

A perfect example that knowing the words does not insure comprehension of the message. And also, that comprehension of the message is necessary to engage in meaningful communication.

shel90
It was directed to Cloggy not to u or anyone else. I had a reason for it and now u and others just made it more confusing.

Angel
that's the reason why I don't post in these threads cause I'm trying to understand both sides but while you're here trying to confused me even more.

Yet this line does not make no sense, how about letting Cloggy explain this to her instead of you making this more diffcult as it is.

Causing confusion was not the intent, sorry if that is what happened, but editing Cloggys' quote did change its meaning.

loml
ASL is used to communicate in ASL. CS can be and is used to communicate or learn to write in English, French, Spanish etc

No thanks, I would never make it to stay with CS when I know the more livelier ASL.

flip - Two completely different mediums for two completely different outcomes.

Mod Note

Thread's closed for review--may be back up after the holidays.

~RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back