'Cued speech' has produced strong academic results -- and a dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know...it is the same old tactic used to discredit ASL and frankly, until they are fluent in it, they have no clue what they are talking about. It gets so old.

I read:
Cueing students who were interviewed expressed amusement that eight hand signs could be viewed as a threat to American Sign Language, which they all use and praise as rich and expressive.
What's discrediting about that??

I do not have any interest in playing your games, cloggy. Let's just leave it to say that each word you have presented represents a concept, and therefore can be interpreted in a like concept in ASL, Spanish, French, Dutch, German, or any other language in which you care to interpret it. Interpreting into concept has a greater likelihood of increasing comprehension than does simply providing phonetic cues for words of which one ha no conceptual understanding.
Playing my games??
You said:
jillio said:
I find most distrubing the comment that CS is able to convery the "exact message", while assuming that ASL. is not. That is fallicious.
So, your comment is fallacious, sorry... incorrect?

I read:

What's discrediting about that??

It is not the deaf students that are attempting to portray CS as a threat. They see it for what it is....please review the earlier post regarding cuer Daniel Koo who used CS for learning English, and ASL as his L1 and communication choice, and would employ the same in teaching his own deaf children. It is the popluation of hearing parents and teachers who have limited understanding of both CS and ASL that are trying to portray CS as something it is not and was never intended to be.

Playing my games??
You said:
So, your comment is fallacious, sorry... incorrect?

I see that you have great difficulty in comprehending the content of the message cloggy.

......regarding cuer Daniel Koo who used CS for learning English, and ASL as his L1 and communication choice, and would employ the same in teaching his own deaf children. ......
My point exactly..... wonderful isn't it!!! He knows his stuff...
I see that you have great difficulty in comprehending the content of the message cloggy.
Pityful comeback after you not able to sign a sentence that can be cued..... :bye:

Wasnt referring to them.
You seem to think "pro-CS = anti-ASL" ... which is not the case...

Back on the old merry-go-round, aren't you, cloggy? Enjoy your ride. But keep in mind that while you may be in motion, you are simply going in circles and making no progress toward a destination. Translated: you are going in circles again.

Last edited:
Why, exactly, is this thread posted in the CI and HA forum? It is a discussion of CS and academic results. It belongs in the Deaf Education forum. Another problem with undertanding content, or just a pathological need to address every topic from the standpoint of CI? Or perhaps you fear that those you are hoping to support your position won't find it in the other forum because they never get out of the CI forum?

Why, exactly, is this thread posted in the CI and HA forum? It is a discussion of CS and academic results. It belongs in the Deaf Education forum. Another problem with understanding content, or just a pathological need to address every topic from the standpoint of CI? Or perhaps you fear that those you are hoping to support your position won't find it in the other forum because they never get out of the CI forum?
CS..... CI ..... relevant:bye:
other forum :bye:
And, feel free to combine multiple sentences in 1 post..... :bye::bye:

Pityful comeback after you not able to sign a sentence that can be cued..... :bye:

I said those words "Pro-CS=anti-ASL"? I must have missed that one.

Actually, cloggy, I can interpret the sentence into ASL. I simply see no need to play your childish games. And, you seem to be ignoring the fact that simply being able to cue the phonetic representations of the words does not equate to comprehension. Esample: you obviously use words that you do don understand on a regular basis, and continually distort the message intended. So while you may be able to reproduce a word by typing is no indication that you have comprehension of the message. Your equation is a perfect example of lack of comprehension and distortion of the intended message. That is why the conclusions you draw are quite often, completely innacurate.

A perfect example that knowing the words does not insure comprehension of the message. And also, that comprehension of the message is necessary to engage in meaningful communication.

Excellent....!!!!!
Can you send me a video showing the following message, ....
“Mitosis is nuclear division plus cytokinesis, and produces two identical daughter cells during prophase, prometaphase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase.”

Because the student that came with the example is fluent in Cued Speech and ASL.....
And a sentence like that could be basic knowledge for the next exam!!!!
(See here.)

So far, no one here seems interested in CS interpreters, except you. Sure you not are deaf?

CS..... CI ..... relevant:bye:
other forum :bye:
And, feel free to combine multiple sentences in 1 post..... :bye::bye:

And, another example of coming to faulty conclusions based on a lack of comprehension of the message. The OP is in reference to educational achievement and CS. It has absolutely nothing to do with CI.

So far, no one here seems interested in CS interpreters, except you. Sure you not are deaf?

When using the term in a conceptual manner, rather than literal, it is quite obvious that he is. Perhaps blind as well.:giggle:

Meeting your own expectations.

Cloggy

jillio
A perfect example that knowing the words does not insure comprehension of the message. And also, that comprehension of the message is necessary to engage in meaningful communication

Nowhere does Cloggy state that shel90 said "Pro-CS=anti-ASL", he is simply drawing a conclusion from Shel90's past postings. Shel90 changed Cloggy's statement and thus chaged the content and meaning of the sentence. I think that this is a perfect example of editing, creating the implied non-comprehesion and thus misconstruing the meaning.

Cloggy

jillio

Nowhere does Cloggy state that shel90 said "Pro-CS=anti-ASL", he is simply drawing a conclusion from Shel90's past postings. Shel90 changed Cloggy's statement and thus chaged the content and meaning of the sentence. I think that this is a perfect example of editing, creating the implied non-comprehesion and thus misconstruing the meaning.

Pray tell..what statement of Cloggy's that I changed? If this is gonna be a finger-pointing game, then I am outta here cuz I am not interested. If I actually changed someone's statement then pls point it out and I will review it and apologize if that's the case.
Thanks

Last edited:
jillio
Wrod for word transliteration does not insure that, simply because the same wording is uitilized, that the message ha been clearly communicated. And interpretation into ASL does not mean that the message has been distorted

There is no gaurentee in either scenario, quite simply because you do not know the level of understanding that the recipient of the message has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back