crying forever

Macian

Reaction score
Hi folks .

First I'd like to tell you a bit about the subject of this poem...
It's dedicated to the people of semipalatinsk in kazakhstan, the forgotten victims of the cold war...the former USSR conducted 670 nuclear tests in the country...affecting up to one and a half million people in the region....cancers are five times the regions average, birth defects three times the national average, mental illness and deformities are common in the children.....
The Title "crying forever", was from the grave stone of a young girl from the village of Kainar,semipalatinsk who committed suicide.. her father simply put.. " crying forever" which I found out from the excellent international photo exhibition to highlight the plight of the forgotten victims..

CRYING FOREVER

Secretly hidden from the eyes of the west
They came to carry out their nuclear tests
Contaminating the soil, polluting the air
Infecting the people, they just didn’t care.

The legacy of this, they left behind
All the suffering daily, there to remind.
Each day new horrors continue to unfold
The story of which, remains largely untold

Cold war now over, the soldiers have gone
The country ruled again by the people it belongs
But the invisible killer remains in the land
Still poisoning the people of Kazakhstan.

In newborn babies deformities are rife
So desperate the children, they take their own life
Some try to move on but so many can never
Abandoned, forgotten and crying forever.

Macian......

*blowing my nose*....I'm out of tissues... :-o

Beautiful poem there!... :cry:

A heart-wrenching poem that you've dedicated to the people of semipalatinsk in kazakhstan...very deeply touching and makes me and our children be more grateful and thankful for the things we do have and appreciate! Good and superbly written Macian! :thumb:

thank you katzie babes, and cheri and angel.
roadrunner too, you are right mate , the things we take for granted eh, my poems are turning out more and more reflecting on life these days, and as we know it its not a bed of roses these days, that poem i think will be in the scottish mercy corps newsletter next month , for the semipalatinsk fund...heres hoping they raise alot of money for the cause, the crying forever exhibtion is coming to washington next month... hope some of you manage to see it...
thanks again folks.

lang may yer lum reek

Back