Country rejects McDonald's

New book finds many U.S. foods banned overseas for cancer links - Washington Times

Put down the Mountain Dew and step away from the Pringles. An estimated 80 percent of all packaged foods sold in America are actually so unhealthy and packed with chemical additives that they’re banned in much of the world, a new book reveals.

Six food additives in particular are the worst-of-the-worst, the Daily Mail reported. A new book, “Rich Food, Poor Food,” by Dr. Jayson Calton and Mira Calton, a certified nutritionist, explains how the Food and Drug Administration’s stamp of approval means little to other nations — and that much of what America is eating is actually considered cancerous in other nations.

Watch out for food coloring, the authors say. One of the most common used in the United States — found in soda, sports drinks, mac and cheese, cake and candy, and several other products — is make from petroleum and has been linked to various cancers, the authors say, in the Daily Mail.

Another common additive in America but banned in the United Kingdom and in Canada: The fat substitute, Olestra. It’s found in low-fat potato chips, including Ruffles Lite, Lays Wow and Pringles fat-free, the authors say, the Daily Mail reported. Fat-free ice cream and mayonnaise also contained the chemical at various time, the authors said.

Meanwhile, drinks like Mountain Dew, Squirt and Fresca and foods like New York brand flatbreads and bagel chips made the authors’ hit list because they contain brominated vegetable oil — banned by more than 100 countries because of its link to thyroid cancer, the Daily Mail reported. Bromine, the authors say, is also used to protect carpets from fire and to disinfect swimming pools.

And don’t even think of hitting the frozen dinner aisle at the grocery, the authors say.

Hungry Man frozen dinners, and certain frozen potato and bread products, contain a chemical that is tied to asthma, they say. Its banned in Australia, the United Kingdom and many other European nations. In Singapore, its use could bring a 15-year prison sentence and a $500,000 fine, the Daily Mail reported. Its name? Azodicarbonamide, the authors say, in the Daily Mail.

Here in America, though, the FDA says the additive is “approved to be a bleaching agent in cereal flour” and is “permitted for direct addition to food for human consumption,” the Daily Mail reported

I wish all of these foods were banned here!

It looks like we need reforming FDA to ban many dangerous food additives.

I found something is pathetic in America.

Poor families only could afford to eat at fast food, such as McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc because they are cheaper than cook the food at home.

Junk food is cheaper than healthy food too, that's sad.

i know...its disgusting

ever came across an expression "money talks, bullshit walks'?
it applies to the big powers-that-be too

From US politicians for sure. :lol:

They are too addicting to Monsanto and greedy food companies that allow dangerous additives in our food.

We need to educate our voters. :hmm:

politicians are bribed by big companies...and influenced by them too

Guessing we should get rid of Pizza also...bad for your health...:giggle:...we all know that many things are bad for our health but if we eat and drink them in moderation, we should be OK.

No sweets or cakes, cookies too...bad for our teeth....

Guessing we should get rid of Pizza also...bad for your health...:giggle:...we all know that many things are bad for our health but if we eat and drink them in moderation, we should be OK.

No sweets or cakes, cookies too...bad for our teeth....

The diet is different in other countries.

Teeth? You are supposed to floss and brush your teeth twice everyday.

And, of course there are 2 sides to every story...

Thousands of Bolivians crammed into McDonald's Saturday to order their final Big Macs before the fast food restaurant closed up shop for good.
McDonald's served its last hamburgers in Bolivia Saturday at midnight, after announcing a global restructuring plan in which it would close its doors in seven countries with poor profit margins.
Most Bolivians said they were sad to see McDonald's go, after they had finally become accustomed to the fast-food culture so radically different from their traditional Bolivian cuisine.
"It was very hard to get used to McDonald's, it's like another planet," said Miriam Torres, a kindergarten teacher who saved up for one week to take her two sons to celebrate one final birthday with Ronald McDonald.
Torres, like many other Bolivians, said she felt somewhat betrayed that McDonald's would give up on Bolivia after being here for such a short period of time. McDonald's brought fast-food culture to Bolivia seven years ago.
"McDonald's threw us out like a third world country in search of greener pastures," said Angelica Carrasco, a primary school teacher who stood next to a smiling Ronald McDonald, waving a red-gloved hand to the crowd. "I don't think McDonald's was ever that serious about us anyway."
Others lamented that Bolivia, the poorest South American nation, could not have provided a healthier economy to keep the American company from leaving.
"I guess Bolivia will never be a fully globalized and capitalized country like the United States," said Alberto Bermudes, a 26-year-old computer engineer who ordered his favorite dish for the last time — a BigMac combo with supersized french fries.
He carefully arranged the dishes of ketchup on his tray and savored every french fry as he reminisced about his youth in America.
"I grew up with McDonald's, I celebrated my birthdays in McDonald's, I even wanted to work at McDonald's," he said. "I feel deceived, and most of all sad."
McDonald's will be survived by Burger King in Bolivia which has said that it now plans to expand its presence in Bolivia.
But not all were sad to see McDonald's go.
Bolivia is a country with nearly 60 percent indigenous population. McDonald's catered mostly to the other 40 percent who had the economic means to enter the restaurant.
Although McDonald's prides itself as an economical and friendly place, most of Bolivia's indigenous population had never tried a hamburger for lack of money or lack of welcome.
"I've wanted to try the food but I never have," said Esther Choque, an indigenous woman dressed in colorful robes waiting for a bus outside a McDonald's restaurant.
"The closest I ever came was one day when a rainshower fell and I climbed the steps to keep dry by the door. Then they came out and shooed my away. Said I was dirtying the place.
"Why would I care if McDonald's leaves if they do such bad things?"

Read more: McDonald's to Leave Bolivia for Good | Fox News

Regardless....America has an obesity problem. I wish healthy foods were more affordable for every citizen.

Regardless....America has an obesity problem. I wish healthy foods were more affordable for every citizen.

And I do agree....feel it begins at home tho'. Replace the sweets with fruit or veggies...and get the kids outside for an hour a day, even if it's just to walk the dog. But still I see nothing wrong with going to McD's once a week, which is a treat for the kids and makes them happy.

You may have forgotten but a couple of years ago I created a menu here on AD to prove eating healthy and at home is cheaper than fast food.

And I do agree....feel it begins at home tho'. Replace the sweets with fruit or veggies...and get the kids outside for an hour a day, even if it's just to walk the dog. But still I see nothing wrong with going to McD's once a week, which is a treat for the kids and makes them happy.

fair enough, long as its not too often...

I'm not an fan of McDonald's, but the McRib doesn't sound so appealing with the way of how they make their version of McRib.

Back