Could I keep the exit car and put a new engine and trans?

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Hubby and I just talked about 2006? Chevy Aveo. I told him that I could put some money to saving bank every week now for few years to trade it and same low price New Chevy Aveo.

My hubby said Oh no no. We could keep Very Good Condition in and out body of aveo car. He will order a new engine and transmission. It will save our money from Town tax and insurances?

My question,

Wondering If worth to replace the worn out engine and transmission for new ones? Its approx. five thousand dollars included a new engine and transmission. He and his retired Auto Mechanic friend do it? :hmm:

Or

Nah!! Trade it to new one?

What happen to the engine and transmission? 2006 is relatively new (3 years old) How many miles is on the 2006 Chevy Aveo?

What happen to the engine and transmission? 2006 is relatively new (3 years old) How many miles is on the 2006 Chevy Aveo?

Now Its great running and mostly on highway.. Over 80K mileage

However, I want to prepare myself if it's broken down or worn out in future?

Now Its great running and mostly on highway.. Over 80K mileage

However, I want to prepare myself if it's broken down or worn out in future?

Ah, modern engines are designed to last longer if maintained properly, it can easily go 200K or more without a rebuilt.

If there is many other safety issues on the car, it would be best to get rid of it and get another.

Highway engine are less wear and tear than stop and go city driving :)

Even a new Aveo is only about $12,000. I don't think it has much value and not worth the price of $5,000 for fix up.

Unless MA car tax is very very high for newer?

people put in new engine/tranny because of sentimentalism to car itself. Yes it does cost money but if the car body/frame is in really great shape (no cracks, no rust, etc.), then yes go ahead and swap the engine. If not.... forget it. just trade it in.

Swapping 2006 Tranny and Engine that have 80k miles!!?? :shrug:

Sound like driving rough on car, wearing down engine and tranny fast??

I never had plm with any vehicle that went over 80k miles ( 1969 Kaiser (Chevrolet) Jeep DJ-5A (rare), 1967 Chevy C10, 1977 Toyota Corolla, 1989 Mazda 323, 1990 Mazda Protege, 1994 Chrystler Grand Caravan) . I had several overmileage vehicles that I own previously and it still runs great. I did a typical oil/fluid/sparkplug changes and several maintenance repair, I get parts from junkyard real cheap (except Dodge Caravan). My 68' Chevy had an engine swap to 77' modded Camaro engine:naughty::giggle: . My old van was 98k miles before I traded in for brand new 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport. I'm always a member of a overmileage club :giggle:

I had 1989 Mazda 323 for 13 years (I bought it when it was brand new "baby") with 2nd tranny that I bought for $35 (tranny was swapped when it was 150k miles cuz of worn 1st and 2nd gear that popped to neutral every time I give it a gas and must hold down till it reach speed and got tired of it) then on 170k miles, I thought I had problem with engine running rough and had it's cylinder head rebuilt (paid $277 to have it rebuilt) and found out it's the distrubutor rotor cap was no good :shrug:. I replaced with new one and car drove like it was brand new all over again (it felt like it had a turbo in the engine :lol:). I sold the car to my friend for $100 and the last milage was 225k miles, still had original parts, water pump, except alternator and battery and 2nd clutch (replaced since 50k miles cuz factory grease seeped into clutch plate and I replaced it and it was still good when it was 225k miles!!) and my friend drove it and he said it still had enough pep to beat red lights before he wrecked it, 235k miles. He missed the car so much and he bought 1988 Mazda GLC and pulled parts from wrecked mazda 323 (it had same parts like GLC anyway). :roll:

Currently, My Durango (55k miles)and Jeep Liberty (46k miles) engine and tranny both runs great. Durango soon need all 4 brake caliper replacement cuz brake became spongy (Factory Calipers hydraulic's seal are hardened over 50k miles, causing brake to feel spongy even if it had been bled on all 4 calipers. I had similiar experience with 2001 Dodge Caravan. It's just dodge issue tho).

So why bother replacing 2006 Aveo engine and tranny if it's only 3 yr old. I don't think it's a benefical to do that. Just trade in for better one! which is economical if car is in excellent shape except tranny and engine. Why not different brand cars?

Catty

Last edited:
Modern engines today have tighter tolerances from manfacturing and I dont believe you need to swap out at any circumstances. Just follow the standard oil service as recommended by the manufacturer. You could get them to do valve clearance, compression test and some other diagnostic tests on engine before you decide what path you would like to do on your motor. I reckon most mechanics would tell you otherwise.

I have 2006 Toyota Prius and has exceeded more than 100,000 miles. Engine, Hybrid system, electric motor and battery pack are doing very well and will easily exceed more than 200,000 miles in 2.5 years.

The only time i would consider swapping out eng and tranny is when i want to juice it up. Like most ppl here says the eng and trans will last alot longer since it is "new". bear in mind of the car value and the prices of motor and the transmission. if the car is worth MORE than the trans and eng then by all means go ahead but if it is another way around then i would strongly advise to get a new vehicle.

I had wanted to really fix up my old explorer but the repair price was more than the truck value so i went got myself a new car. i would have loved to keep my truck its jut out of my budget. Right now my monty (1997 monte carlo) is doing really good its jut the 2 door i slowly dislike right now LOL ohh well what ya gonna do?

Good luck with your decision and make sure it is very well worth it.

Based on my experience...

NOT WORTH IT!!!!

Know why?

You could spent thousands of dollars on these powertrain replacement, suppose you got in accident in a month or so, your insurance would MOST LIKELY ignore these replacement cost, and look in kelly book value and if it exceed the value, Insurance will almost certainly call it TOTALLED. They won't cover the cost on these replacement. You can try challenge them but the chances of you winning is less than 1%. It is ALOT cheaper in long run to trade these clunkers.

Trust me, I have experienced and SEEN enough. You can't beat Insurance companies decisions.

Don't believe me? Ask your Insurance agency, if they are honest enough, they will tell you right off.

My Hubby and I just talked about 2006? Chevy Aveo. I told him that I could put some money to saving bank every week now for few years to trade it and same low price New Chevy Aveo.

My hubby said Oh no no. We could keep Very Good Condition in and out body of aveo car. He will order a new engine and transmission. It will save our money from Town tax and insurances?

My question,

Wondering If worth to replace the worn out engine and transmission for new ones? Its approx. five thousand dollars included a new engine and transmission. He and his retired Auto Mechanic friend do it? :hmm:

Or

Nah!! Trade it to new one?

I would rather put in a new engine than buy a new car and be stuck with a car payment for another 5 or 6 years. My SUV will be paid off next year and I intend to keep it for a long time after it has been paid off.

Here is true story,

I had a roommate who is pizza delivery back during late 80's. He depends on his car for his employment.

His car engine was damaged and need to replaced. I warned him NOT to replace the engine, but trade with other vehicle. He choose to ignore my warning, and went ahead replace the motor for $3,000 dollars.

3 months after replaced the motor, he got in middle of three cars accident. His front and rear has been severely smashed.

He was of course pissed off about it. Even it was not his fault, just that he got there at wrong place and wrong time.

When he apply for claim, the insurance agency said this car worth 800 dollars, so here is the check of $800 dollars and that car is no longer belong to him! He got madder, and fought to keep the car and showed them the receipt on replacement motor. The Insurance agency told him that this receipt is meaningless and bears zero value and refused to cover this. He was forced to get replacement vehicle out of his pocket, ending up into deeper debt.

After this happened, he told me that he regret for not listening to me and should have gone better vehicle and would have had it covered by insurance.

He kissed $3,000 dollars goodbye in just good 3 months! He then have nothing left afterwards except cute 800 dollars check and lost the vehicle for good. He has no way to go work nor doing his job. That is BAD!

I had my motor replaced once, and I only used it for short time and it is good as gone! So, never again going to replace major components, unless this vehicle is truly vintage and in decent shape which I don't have any anyway.

Thank you all for FYI!

We decide to prepare put some money in pink pig every week!

:ty:

Here is true story,

I had a roommate who is pizza delivery back during late 80's. He depends on his car for his employment.

His car engine was damaged and need to replaced. I warned him NOT to replace the engine, but trade with other vehicle. He choose to ignore my warning, and went ahead replace the motor for $3,000 dollars.

3 months after replaced the motor, he got in middle of three cars accident. His front and rear has been severely smashed.

He was of course pissed off about it. Even it was not his fault, just that he got there at wrong place and wrong time.

When he apply for claim, the insurance agency said this car worth 800 dollars, so here is the check of $800 dollars and that car is no longer belong to him! He got madder, and fought to keep the car and showed them the receipt on replacement motor. The Insurance agency told him that this receipt is meaningless and bears zero value and refused to cover this. He was forced to get replacement vehicle out of his pocket, ending up into deeper debt.

After this happened, he told me that he regret for not listening to me and should have gone better vehicle and would have had it covered by insurance.

He kissed $3,000 dollars goodbye in just good 3 months! He then have nothing left afterwards except cute 800 dollars check and lost the vehicle for good. He has no way to go work nor doing his job. That is BAD!

I had my motor replaced once, and I only used it for short time and it is good as gone! So, never again going to replace major components, unless this vehicle is truly vintage and in decent shape which I don't have any anyway.

Yeah, I remember rear ending somebody yhtat didnt move his ass quickly but oh well anyways The repair was more than what my car was worth so it was written off however..my insurance gave me 2 choices...

1. surrender the vehicle to the insurance (gave them my ownership to the car) and get a full amount of what my car was worth

2. keep the car and attempt to fix it at my own cost and still get some money from the insurance.

Well, i had then bought another vehicle and made no sense in keeping the other car...all it needed was bumper lights hood. They all could be replaced for cheap from the junk yard but hell, why bother? lol

So its all "roll the dice" game. if you got balls to replace the motor and trannsmission and not so worried about the money thing, go for it.

But I'm with DHB, get another vehicle when your motor blows or wtfever else happens.

Back