Status
Not open for further replies.

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cost-saving policy forces new kidney transplant

Woman’s case highlights anomaly in Medicare coverage of crucial drugs

SAN DIEGO - Melissa J. Whitaker has one very compelling reason to keep up with the health care legislation being written in Washington: her second transplanted kidney.

The story of Ms. Whitaker’s two organ donations — the first from her mother and the second from her boyfriend — sheds light on a Medicare policy that is widely regarded as pound-foolish. Although the government regularly pays $100,000 or more for kidney transplants, it stops paying for anti-rejection drugs after only 36 months.

The health care bill moving through the House of Representatives includes a little-noticed provision that would reverse the policy, but it is not clear whether the Senate will follow suit. The 36-month limit is one of several reimbursement anomalies — along with inadequate primary care payments and incentives that encourage unneeded care — that many in Congress hope to cure.

Ms. Whitaker, 31, who describes herself as “kind of a nerd,” has Alport syndrome, a genetic disorder that caused kidney failure and significant hearing loss by the time she was 14. In 1997, after undergoing daily dialysis for five years, she received her first transplant. Most of the cost of the dialysis and the transplant, totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars, was absorbed by the federal Medicare program, which provides broad coverage for those with end-stage renal disease.

Limits on reimbursement
Despite that heavy investment, federal law limits Medicare reimbursement for the immunosuppressant drugs that transplant recipients must take for life, at costs of $1,000 to $3,000 a month.

Once Ms. Whitaker’s Medicare expired, she faced periods without work and, more important, without group health insurance, which disregards pre-existing conditions. Struggling financially, she soon found herself skipping doses of anti-rejection drugs.

By late 2003, her transplanted kidney had failed, and she returned to dialysis, covered by the government at $9,300 a month, more than three times the cost of the pills. Then 15 months ago, Medicare paid for her second transplant — total charges, $125,000 — and the 36-month clock began ticking again.

“If they had just paid for the pills, I’d still have my kidney,” said Ms. Whitaker, who shares an apartment in the La Jolla neighborhood with her boyfriend, Joseph D. Jamieson. “I’d be healthy, working and paying taxes.”

The Medicare program is not sure how many of the country’s 100,000 transplant recipients are without insurance for their immunosuppressant drugs. Officials with the National Kidney Foundation said some dialysis patients never put themselves on transplant lists because they fear that they will not be able to afford the drugs.

Currently unemployed, Ms. Whitaker is nervous that in two years she will again find herself without health coverage. She and Mr. Jamieson, who have been together five years, said they would marry if necessary so he could insure her under the group policy provided by his employer, the drug manufacturer Pfizer. But nothing is guaranteed.

“If Joe were ever to lose his job or medical coverage, I do feel it would be possible for me to find myself without insurance again,” said Ms. Whitaker, who reads lips to compensate for her hearing loss. “I’m extremely nervous about whether I’m going to be able to afford my medications once my coverage runs out.”

Bills have been introduced in Congress since 2000 to lift the 36-month limit and extend coverage of immunosuppressant drugs indefinitely. They have never made it to a vote, largely because of the projected upfront cost; the Congressional Budget Office estimates that unlimited coverage would add $100 million a year to the $23 billion Medicare kidney program.

But the cost-benefit analysis would seem obvious. The most recent report from the United States Renal Data System found that Medicare spends an average of $17,000 a year on care for kidney transplant recipients, most of it for anti-rejection drugs. That compares with $71,000 a year for dialysis patients and $106,000 for a transplant (including the first year of monitoring).

“It doesn’t make any sense at all,” Ms. Whitaker said. “Somebody’s not looking at the numbers.”

CONTINUED : Provision is in House bill

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32836554/ns/health-the_new_york_times/

Cost-saving policy forces new kidney transplant

A provision to cover the drugs is in the sweeping House health care bill, which has cleared three committees. It is uncertain whether the Senate Finance Committee will include it in its bill.

Since 1973, end-stage renal disease has been the only condition specifically covered by Medicare regardless of age. In 1988, coverage was extended for 12 months to anti-rejection drugs, which had recently been developed. Congress gradually lengthened the cutoff to 36 months, and then in 2000 made the benefit unlimited for those who are at least 65 or disabled. The rationale for leaving out younger transplant recipients was simply that the money was not there, Congressional aides said.

Ms. Whitaker was married when her Medicare eligibility expired after her first transplant, and her husband was able to insure her under his group policy. They divorced in 2001, and she became uninsured until taking a job at Kinko’s that provided health benefits.

Her downward spiral began the day she awoke to find that her dog had used her hearing aids as a chew toy. She could not afford replacements and had to leave her job because she was unable to interact with customers.

She lived in Seattle for a while without electricity or hot water. The bank repossessed her car, and she filed for bankruptcy. Her grandmother eventually bought her new hearing aids, and she went back to work. But she was laid off a year later.

“That’s when I started stretching out the pills,” she said. “I’d take one in the morning and one at night, instead of two. Toward the end, I ran out of pills and was taking nothing for a couple of months. I figured I was young and could make it until I found insurance.”

She figured wrong. When she arrived at an emergency room, weak from weight loss and anemia, her doctors told her they were surprised she was not in a coma. The kidney, they said, had not been functioning at all.

“I felt really guilty because it was my mom’s kidney and I broke it,” Ms. Whitaker said.

Ms. Whitaker moved back to Southern California to live with her mother, and soon met Mr. Jamieson. He is seven years younger and, at 6-foot-8, stands 16 inches taller, but they had what Mr. Jamieson calls “a mutual dork synchronicity” (they share a passion for video games). He bought her a stuffed kidney, with a ureter nose, and almost immediately offered her one of his kidneys.

She declined. “I didn’t want to start dating somebody and steal his kidney,” she said. “That seemed kind of rude.”

‘My whole life is dictated by my illness’

Several years later, she reversed course and accepted the transplant on June 10, 2008. She has suffered several minor rejection episodes, but lately has been feeling well.

The couple gets by on Mr. Jamieson’s paycheck and Ms. Whitaker’s Social Security benefits. With the help of financial aid, she recently completed two years at a community college and will soon start classes at the University of California, San Diego. She said she hoped a degree would help her find a job with health coverage, perhaps as an addiction counselor.

But her bigger hope is that Congress will eliminate the 36-month limit so she can pursue any job, without concern for insurance.

“My whole life is dictated by my illness, and it’s such a waste,” Ms. Whitaker said. “If the government is going to spend all that money to help people get a kidney, they should help you keep it.”

NYT: Medicare policy forces new transplant - The New York Times- msnbc.com

*appalled* :eek3:

$100,000? $125,000? and more cost?

Too much...

*shake my head quietly*

we could do it this way... keep the cost low, but use ONE kidney toward the person who is more valuable to the society that is determined by the gov't out of the 1,000 people on the waiting list. Or pay a high price for it. Either way is the same because everyone value their child worthy rather the gov't agree with it or not. The demand of organ is very high. Everyone wants it but hardly anyone can get it. kinda like a rare piece art painting.

But anyway, $100,000 sound reasonable. because it take a lot of efforts to keep the organs safe and pay for the surgeons' and nurses' labor work, especially if they are being paid above minimum wages because of their education.

I've been told that my implant cost around $30,000 and we are paying professionals from Australia.

Last edited:
How much do kidney transplants cost in Germany?

I'm ask same question too.

It's not cheap to have organ transplants, also doctors need alot of money to survive, pay off the college loan due alot of education and very expensive tuition so tuition cost in US is very different from Europe.

UK FACT SHEET TRANSPLANTATION COST EFFECTIVENESS

http://www.kidney.org.uk/campaigns/Transplantation/ukt-press-dec03.html

That´s one I found from English websites is UK.

I searched German Transplantation cost in English websites, no success but German website. I am willing to post the German source if you want me to.

Accord German website, I found today.

The costs for a dialysis patient 3 times a week per year cost around €30,000 and Kidney transplantation cost around €28,000.

UK FACT SHEET TRANSPLANTATION COST EFFECTIVENESS

http://www.kidney.org.uk/campaigns/Transplantation/ukt-press-dec03.html

That´s one I found from English websites is UK.

I searched German Transplantation cost in English websites, no success but German website. I am willing to post the German source if you want me to.

Accord German website, I found today.

The costs for a dialysis patient 3 times a week per year cost around €30,000 and Kidney transplantation cost around €28,000.
So a kidney transplant in Germany costs about $41,151, correct?

we could do it this way... keep the cost low, but use ONE kidney toward the person who is more valuable to the society that is determined by the gov't out of the 1,000 people on the waiting list. Or pay a high price for it. Either way is the same because everyone value their child worthy rather the gov't agree with it or not. The demand of organ is very high. Everyone wants it but hardly anyone can get it. kinda like a rare piece art painting.

But anyway, $100,000 sound reasonable. because it take a lot of efforts to keep the organs safe and pay for the surgeons' and nurses' labor work, especially if they are being paid above minimum wages because of their education.

I've been told that my implant cost around $30,000 and we are paying professionals from Australia.

".........one kidney toward the person who is more valuable to the society that is determined by the government........" That's a really scary statement; where do you get ideas like this?

I've seen people who are on the waiting list... some are lucky to receive a organ donor and some aren't. And some will pay black market money to get a organ donor.

Think about it, if you have 3 children who are in the same situation, blood type, etc. who are on the organ waiting list. One child probably deaf, the other child is gifted, and the third is average. who is going to get it first? usually it is the parents who have insurance and can afford it (and their child may be the one who is deaf. ) ... The hospital know that if they pick them, their money will cover the bills
but if we eliminate insurance, then who get to decide? you tell me.

How long is the wait for a kidney in Germany?

Are Europeans allowed to buy kidneys? Or do they have to be freely donated?

Are most German kidney transplants from related living donors, unrelated living donors, or cadavers?

Do German drivers' licenses show whether or not they are donors?

Maybe they scrape them off no speed limit Autobahn pavement. *Ducking*

How long is the wait for a kidney in Germany?

There´re waiting list to have organ transplant. I can´t say how long... depend on donor´s organ match patient´s group. They are lucky if they get match organ quickly...

They are lucky if they get kidney or part of leber transplantation from living donor.

Are Europeans allowed to buy kidneys?

No, it´s illegal to buy organs here in Germany.

Or do they have to be freely donated?

Yes, it´s individual´s decision either they want organ donor or not.

Are most German kidney transplants from related living donors, unrelated living donors, or cadavers?

Yes they can but unfortunlately there´re a few living donors are willing to give one of their kidney to save someone else´s life. Most related living donors doing for their beloved ones.

Do German drivers' licenses show whether or not they are donors?

No, they carry organ donor card with them, not in driver´s licenses... Donor card are everywhere in health insurance companies, clinic and family doctors... It´s up to Germans to take donor card but if they want to donate their organs then they MUST carry donor card everywhere with them... I have two donor cards. One is in my purse and one is in my car.

Transplant
Kidney Transplant

Kidney Tranplants of various types are available in Germany. All kidney Tranplants are done by university professors, who are especially trained in this area. Cost of kidney transplants in Germany for an unmatched donor is on average 65,000 EUR. Cost of kidney transplant in Germany for matched donor is on average 45,000 EUR. Kidney donors and kidney recipients are heavily screened and must appear before two review boards, a medical board and ethics board for approval. This is includes psychological tests. This process can take up to three months, but can be done in as little as three weeks. EMT takes the client through this process.

Kidney Tranplant patients sign a contract with EMT to facilitate treatment and transfer of funds. Because EMT has a contract with the hospital, EMT is financially responsible for all of their clients' expenses. Therefore, all anticipated expenses for the client in a worst case scenario must be paid in advanced into a trust account for the client. Because the client, hospital and EMT want to assure that money is not a limiting factor for success in a kidney tranplant a total of 110,000 EUR is deposited for an unmatched client (85,000 EUR for a matched donor). The remission of the remainder is given to client after treatment is completed. We regret the uncertainty about the total cost, however there are many factors about kidney tranplants, which cannot be fully determined ahead of time. We will offer a full accounting of the process at the time of completion and refund.

Blood filtering can make almost anyone an eligible donor for a kidney transplant. If you do not have a kidney donor, it is very unlikely a kidney donor can be found in western Europe. Prices and costs in Europe for a kidney transplant are 75% lower than in the US for a kidney transplant. We believe that Europe is the safest place to have a kidney transplant done.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back