Considering implant for your child

No not against their will, that's the wrong phrase for that. That would mean it's something they didn't want, when it happened. A baby doesn't "not want a CI", they're not even aware of it. This is why you need parents permission for things, or people that incompetent in some way, incapable of making informed decisions, need someone to make decisions for them. Babies can't make informed decisions, their parents. THEIR parents, not someone else's parents.

No not against their will, that's the wrong phrase for that. That would mean it's something they didn't want, when it happened. A baby doesn't "not want a CI", they're not even aware of it. This is why you need parents permission for things, or people that incompetent in some way, incapable of making informed decisions, need someone to make decisions for them. Babies can't make informed decisions, their parents. THEIR parents, not someone else's parents.

Its certainly not of their will or of their choice....
So call that what you will...
Anyway....
Eheh

Sooooo Jezzie, you're dismissing the positive opinions and experiences of people that have CI and are only receptive to negative ones? No you didn't say that, you didn't have to, it's obvious. You only want to hear something that validates your own opinion.

You know what you're not considering? That CI are not as effective when implanted in teens and adults, people that make the decision themselves. There is a member on here that did just that. He likes his CIs but also speaks openly that his experience isn't as positive as CI recipients he knows that got them when they were children. But that's not the kind thing you want to hear right? But if you're really interested you should make a thread about it, not ask the question in the middle of some other thread. I haven't popped in here much but from what I've seen the forum is far less active than it had been, so you might not get many responses. You might have better luck looking at old threads. It's worth a shot though if you're really interested.

Oh and the headaches were from the new sound, and volume introduced, as I said. I'm racking my brain trying to remember if migraines were listed as a risk of getting a CI. I don't remember it, because yes doctors do in fact have to discuss this with you, or the parents of a child because, hey, it's the law. All I'm remembering is total loss of hearing, not really a risk for me since I'd already achieved level Total Loss. Tinnitus, also not a risk, cuz already got that thanks. Facial paralysis and facial spasms, now this I was at an increased risk for it. I have far advanced otosclerosis, that's what caused my hearing loss, and it changes the bone in ways that increases the current of electricity so the facial nerve has a higher chance of being stimulated. I decided it was worth the risk for me, and luckily I have no such thing :) I don't remember if headaches were a risk, so I'm not going to say they weren't, just that I don't remember.

Sooooo you're dismissing the positive opinions and experiences of people that have CI and are only receptive to negative ones? No you didn't say that, you didn't have to, it's obvious. You only want to hear something that validates your own opinion.

Sorry this is where I stopped reading... as you stated... no I did not say that....
I am open to all sides... and really do want all sides.. however, much like I did mention... only strictly pro implant is allowed otherwise the person is attacked... now... if you would like to give it another go, i would gladly read what you have to say... however, i will not read the rest of this message.
Kindly, if you could, do not speak for me again... there is only one person that might know me well enough on this site that could have an inkling of what I would or would not say...

Hahahaha you don't know me, otherwise you'd realize I don't care. Read it, don't read it, I don't give a rat's ass. Kinda proves my point though now doesn't it? You don't want to hear any other view so you're not even going read it. ;)

Hahahaha you don't know me, otherwise you'd realize I don't care. Read it, don't read it, I don't give a rat's ass. Kinda proves my point though now doesn't it? You don't want to hear any other view so you're not even going read it. ;)

No I do not know you that is my point... but you have a good one... thanks for your input regardless...

Posting a blog about an extremely negative view about CI's and then asking only for negative experiences isn't exactly wanting all views, I'm just saying. Of all the members on here with CI's Smithtr is the only one I can think of with really negative ramifications. Granted I've only been on here for 3 years so there's bound to have been more, but still it's a rather small percentage of a large pool of people.

You got to wonder about why you're only interested in negative stories. You SURE it's not because you don't want to just reinforce your already established opinion?

Posting a blog about an extremely negative view about CI's and then asking only for negative experiences isn't exactly wanting all views, I'm just saying. Of all the members on here with CI's Smithtr is the only one I can think of with really negative ramifications. Granted I've only been on here for 3 years so there's bound to have been more, but still it's a rather small percentage of a large pool of people.

You got to wonder about why you're only interested in negative stories. You SURE it's not because you don't want to just reinforce your already established opinion?

A lot of assumptions there... how about trying something unique and ask? Might find out something... yet in this you asked one question, so I will answer it. I am positive that I did not post this nor ask the questions that I have to reinforce an already established opinion.

Facial paralysis and facial spasms, now this I was at an increased risk for it.

Minimal risk. They put a needle electrode something or other in the nerve on the side of the face during CI surgery so if the surgeon gets to close to the facial nerve an alarm will sound.

Minimal risk. They put a needle electrode something or other in the nerve on the side of the face during CI surgery so if the surgeon gets to close to the facial nerve an alarm will sound.

Typically yes it's a minimal risk, but I had an increased risk for it due the effects of my disease and what it did to the bones in my ears. I didn't say it'd be likely for me, just that I had an increased risk of it happening. I should also add that he said if it did happen they could fix it by turning some of the electrodes off.

That is cool... how close to the nerve can the surgeon get before the alarm goes off....and how does the scensor detect it?

Hmm... If someone wants to fix their nonfunctional drums in their ears, they should get some supports instead of critics. I'm completely profoundly deaf in both of my ears because of my drums won't function properly. So, when I got in accident and my ears get screwed up. I would want them to be treated properly.

Wow..thats interesting. Thats a good thing! I was worried about that. lol

That cuts booth ways..
You dismiss valid opposition, to the ci industry that resembles big pharma in every way. Ive posted titles of books, that explore the ci industry history, and how ci into babies was not about a medical option but rather about expanding a market, against medical advice, ive posted other books that explore the very real disarming of the Deaf, the attack on our language and culture, and how entwined those attacks are with ci professionals....
You just dismiss it.
Its always about you..and thats fine...thats cool
But the world is never only ever sbout just us.
I maybe one of the last of us who hasnt been beaten and berrated and bullied into submission. But that doesnt mean others have not ressisted, or still do..
We just dont we have billions of dollors, so the best we can do is come to a site like this and share our opinions.
This is a new thing for you...and i respect that...
Enjoy your hearing. If you have it
But for others like me..ive been in this for 30 years..
I dont have a bunch of degrees stating how clever i am..
But what i do have is allot of experience.
And trust me in one thing if only that
I am not the only Deaf who opposes assimilation.
Having stated all that..
Ill restate my stand here so that there is no misunderstanding
I oppose implants into our babies..one under philisophical principles....i believe something as serious as assimilation by technology of normalization should be left to the individual to decide, not a company, not white coated docs,and not scared manipulated parents.not a majority culture with a heavy history of discriminating against us, and prejaduce against us. I oppose ci into our babies also due to the negative effects this assimilation has had on my people and my culture and my language..these negative effects have been accumalitive, and documented.
When it comes to ci in adults...
I dont care what adults do...i dont. They are adults, if one wishes to get 5 ci and a robot tongue cool..i dont care....i respect freedom....
This is my and others postion.
Im not alone.
I understand why and how some will be outraged by this, and will be unable to respect it as it is...
But thats where i stand...
And no bullying or berrating or personal attacks will change that.
(Not stating you have done this ambrosia..i just wanted to be clear very clear)

When I witnessed Deaf parents being harshly critiqued for not implanting their children or teaching them ASL, I always (seriously) hope nobody have to be in jail for that. Because there are already few Deafies have to get CI so they can get their children back.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTvIsIvgftU[/ame]
This video is not something I want to experience.

Back