Confused about school

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
Hi,

So, I am about to graduate from a community college with an Associate degree in Art and Science, I'm pursuing a graphic design major. One of my top schools at the moment is Gallaudet University. But my parents do not want me to go there due to some things they don't believe in. One of the things that bugged me the most from what my parents said is that If i went to gallaudet, I wouldn't have a lot of job opportunities because i went to a deaf school vs a hearing school. They believe that I would show design firms that i can succeed in the hearing world if i went into hearing universities and not a deaf university. I was wondering if any deafies out there who graduated from Gallaudet, that pursued in the graphic design field were able to get good jobs vs going to a hearing university. They also believe the only reason why i want to go to Gallaudet is because my boyfriend of 2 years is attending to gallaudet for Deaf education. Which is not the reason why, i told them that many times but they do not believe me. When my boyfriend and I first started dating, i was not thinking about going to gallaudet at all, i was all about going to University of Cincinnati but then when i went down to DC to visit my boyfriend, i fell in love with the campus and I liked the environment, I also sat in a couple of classes to see what it was like and I enjoyed it a lot!

One of the other things is that I don't know if i want a BA or a BFA in graphic design, but i am hearing from a lot of people that a BA is probably a good idea to have. I mainly want to work with like creating logos for companies, create design products like packaging, and also photography as well. But for that area I'm not sure if i should go more towards a BA or a BFA. But i'm also confused to the difference of a BA and a BFA in graphic design, i heard BA is more for liberal arts, does that mean like logo designing, package designing, etc or more business wise?

I know having a portfolio is basically the most important thing to have when pursuing this field, I'm trying my best to have a good portfolio for when i go to a job. But It hurt to know that my parents believed that I would not get a lot of job opportunities if i went to gallaudet because to them they think it shows that I can't advance in my field of work. So because of my parents being upset about me wanting to go to gallaudet I'm also looking at other schools that has a graphic design program. I mainly want to go to school in Washington,DC/maryland area or virginia. I've been going to mainstream school pretty much my whole life and I wanted to go to a deaf university and be around people that are like me for once and also to take a break from the drama that i had with my current university with getting interpreters and notetakers.

I feel that i'm not living up to my parents expectations when it comes to choosing a school. I know that after i graduate i'm going to have to get interpreters or some kind of assistance to help me get through work, etc and we all have to put up with that kind of thing. But I need some advice to what i should do because I'm really confused and at the same time i feel like i disappointed my parents because i wanted to go to Gallaudet and them believing that i wouldn't get many job opportunities after Gallaudet. Any advice or words of wisdom would be helpful. Thanks!

I understand and remember how your parents feel about it. I wish I knew what to tell you... My hub and I graduated from gally, and do have a job. We dont have MA degrees. You can talk to your parents that you plan to get BA or BS depending on your major for two years at gally then you plan to get ma degrees then go to hearing university. OR versa via. I know some people went to hearing univerisity then went to gally for MA degrees.

maybe you can ask your boyfriend to collect the information from the information center at gally to see if any deaf students graduated and have ajob.. :(

the last choice is, to go to unversity that near gally?

I understand and remember how your parents feel about it. I wish I knew what to tell you... My hub and I graduated from gally, and do have a job. We dont have MA degrees. You can talk to your parents that you plan to get BA or BS depending on your major for two years at gally then you plan to get ma degrees then go to hearing university. OR versa via. I know some people went to hearing univerisity then went to gally for MA degrees.

maybe you can ask your boyfriend to collect the information from the information center at gally to see if any deaf students graduated and have ajob.. :(

the last choice is, to go to unversity that near gally?

Well, I have tried to explain to them what my plans are for my education. they just did not want to listen to me and their mind is all about the reason why i want to go to gallaudet is because of my boyfriend and thats the only reason why in their mind. and its not, Everyone in my family believes that. Right now i'm going to Sinclair community college and its an accredited school and I thought since i'm going to a hearing university right now, I would still have a good reputation because i went to both a hearing and deaf university and would have good job but unfortunately my parents does not and they do the "We been in college, we have more experience and we know a little bit about college more than you" statement to me. The debate with my parents about me going to gallaudet overwhelms me and sometimes makes me feel sick to my stomach because i don't like fighting with them about school and I just wish that they would support me and let me decide what i want to do.

I understand... i think sometimes its the best thing to listen to your parents, while you are in school. So you can try to visit gally as much as you can until you find any college that is close to gally. its the last thing in your plan... guesss so.

It might depend on who is paying the tuition and expenses for college.

True that it depends on who's paying for it and all but 'believing the only reason she wants to go there is because her boyfriend is there" on the part of the parents is kind of a lame excuse for not allowing her to go if she has already thought about it and has laid out her plans/reasons for why she wants to go there.

I don't think it really matters where the degree comes from- I graduated from Gally-- in a major that isn't exactly IT but ever since i switched fields I never had a problem getting a job (well mostly- the economy/job market crash back in 2000-2005 didn't exactly help) though right now I've been having a harder time- that may be due to other factors...who knows). Graphics Design field is a HUGELY competitive field so a BA is a BA is a BA (or MA for that matter..) no matter where you got it as long as the school is an accredited one.

Would you be able to talk to VR to see if they could pay for Gallaudet tuition? That may.. or may not.. ease their minds but your family really seems stuck on the idea you only want to be near your boyfriend (I also get the impression they don't like him...?).

My mother didn't want me to go to MSSD (and they won that round lol..) or to Gallaudet- but for the reason that it was DC and crime and all that (or at least that's what I got out of it- could have been anything). By that time my parents were at least able to accept I was old enough to make up my own mind...and I am pretty sure they were relieved that my aunt lived near there...

Best I can say is maybe continue to gather info, maybe get in touch with people at Gallaudet (Graphics design dept or something)- I don't know if you could convince your parents to speak with them or to go with you to the campus to see for themselves?

True that it depends on who's paying for it and all but 'believing the only reason she wants to go there is because her boyfriend is there" on the part of the parents is kind of a lame excuse for not allowing her to go if she has already thought about it and has laid out her plans/reasons for why she wants to go there.

I don't think it really matters where the degree comes from- I graduated from Gally-- in a major that isn't exactly IT but ever since i switched fields I never had a problem getting a job (well mostly- the economy/job market crash back in 2000-2005 didn't exactly help) though right now I've been having a harder time- that may be due to other factors...who knows). Graphics Design field is a HUGELY competitive field so a BA is a BA is a BA (or MA for that matter..) no matter where you got it as long as the school is an accredited one.

Would you be able to talk to VR to see if they could pay for Gallaudet tuition? That may.. or may not.. ease their minds but your family really seems stuck on the idea you only want to be near your boyfriend (I also get the impression they don't like him...?).

My mother didn't want me to go to MSSD (and they won that round lol..) or to Gallaudet- but for the reason that it was DC and crime and all that (or at least that's what I got out of it- could have been anything). By that time my parents were at least able to accept I was old enough to make up my own mind...and I am pretty sure they were relieved that my aunt lived near there...

Best I can say is maybe continue to gather info, maybe get in touch with people at Gallaudet (Graphics design dept or something)- I don't know if you could convince your parents to speak with them or to go with you to the campus to see for themselves?

my parents keeps saying that they like my boyfriend but sometimes i feel like they don't because i feel like they try to take control of what i do sometimes. I'm in the process of getting VR, supposedly starting to get VR in the spring of 2015. My parents has always said that if i went to a big name university such as Ohio state university, University of Cincinatti, etc i would get better job opportunities and show to design firms that even though i'm deaf, i went to a hearing university and i proved that I can work in a hearing world. and i think my parents think that if i went to a deaf university, design firms would think that i didnt prove myself that i could work in a hearing world because i went to a deaf university. They have tried pushing me into applying to UC and i don't want to because my teacher at my current university said that if i went to UC, i'd be starting over again, retaking the same courses i already took for my associate degree and i would spend 5-6 years there, which is co-op time like working as an internship for big name companies and I don't want to do that. I applied to gallaudet and i got in, and my parents are not too excited about that. And gallaudet said it would take me about 2-3 years to get my bachelors in graphic design, but they're calling it Art and Media and only have a graphic design as a minor but my teacher from my current university said it is the same thing and i'm already taking some of those classes now from gallaudet.

My grandparents set up a school fund for me that i have never known about until this past winter, I believe they have about $50,000 in my college fund for me to go to college, and I would think that with my associate degree and having some of the classes waived, it would put me through the next 3 years at gallaudet. But i'm just hurt that my mom doesn't think i would get a job opportunity if i went to a deaf university. So far right now i'm looking at schools close to gallaudet where i could get resources if i need help. Im looking at University District of Columbia (about 30 mins from gallaudet) and american university as well and also looking in state if my parents does not approve, which is columbus college of art and design in ohio.

But mainly my parents would not get off of my case about me going to gallaudet because of my boyfriend. I tried to tell them thats not the reason why, but i fell in love with the campus and the environment there and the classrooms, i wasn't even thinking about applying to gallaudet until i visited there. I wasn't sure how i was going to like it at first but when i saw the environment i fell in love with it. All they keep saying its because of my boyfriend. and it gets me so frustrated sometimes.

Research the program that you're interested in, to see which school meets your requirements.

Prepare an excellent portfolio of your work, especially a digital portfolio. In the design fields, that will probably carry more weight in the job market than a school name.

Ask yourself honestly--"If my boyfriend quits Gallaudet, will I continue on there without him?"

You've been mainstreamed all through school so far, correct? If that's the case, that should prove to future employers that you can get by in the hearing world and do well enough to go to college in the first place. I know employers are going to look at the latest schooling, but you could certainly put that on your resume (mainstreamed). Also, I wonder how many employers have even heard of Gallaudet. Just because it's not a top 10, highly recognized school, doesn't mean you won't get a job.

Yes gally offers internship jobs which is the key. If you never tried the intership job then it may be a lower chance of getting a job. I had internship about three times. I got a job and so are others who graduated from gally. My hub did that too. Of course internship has to apply with my major. If your confused with the major then you may not get a job. That's different.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

You've been mainstreamed all through school so far, correct? If that's the case, that should prove to future employers that you can get by in the hearing world and do well enough to go to college in the first place. I know employers are going to look at the latest schooling, but you could certainly put that on your resume (mainstreamed). Also, I wonder how many employers have even heard of Gallaudet. Just because it's not a top 10, highly recognized school, doesn't mean you won't get a job.

Yes I was mainstreamed. I did go to a deaf insitute but not for very long, maybe for like half a semester or so. the reason why that is, is because my parents told me that I was not doing well in that school and they pulled me out. I honestly do not remember if i was doing well or not in that school because i was young at the time. And thats also was one of my parents school, they want me to go to a school where employers heard of that school so i would be able to get a job. I mean Gallaudet is an Accredited school and to me as long as it is an accredited school thats all it matters. Plus Im also trying to set myself up with a good reputation, such as being involved with art shows to show employers that I am good at what I do. I got involved with an art show called Raw artists and I was named as one of the top 3 photographers in fall 2013. i mean to me that is a huge honor and I haven't even received my degree yet! All i care about is getting and creating a good portfolio with a good reputation and show that I am capable of doing what i am good at, which is being involved with the design field. Unfortunately my parents thinks differently.

Yes gally offers internship jobs which is the key. If you never tried the intership job then it may be a lower chance of getting a job. I had internship about three times. I got a job and so are others who graduated from gally. My hub did that too. Of course internship has to apply with my major. If your confused with the major then you may not get a job. That's different.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

The school i'm currently going to requires me to work for a non-profit organization, which will happen in spring semester i believe. I recently found this out by my friends who are also pursuing in the same field as I am. Its not really an internship but almost like one. I wanted to wait and do an internship when I got to DC because i feel like DC has more design firms than ohio. And that was one of my goals as well.

Research the program that you're interested in, to see which school meets your requirements.

Prepare an excellent portfolio of your work, especially a digital portfolio. In the design fields, that will probably carry more weight in the job market than a school name.

Ask yourself honestly--"If my boyfriend quits Gallaudet, will I continue on there without him?"

Well i have researched different schools, The only thing i am confused about is the difference between a BFA and BA in the art field. I keep hearing one is more towards business and one is more on the creative side and then i keep hearing that it does not matter which degree you get because both are similar.

As far as i know about my boyfriend going to gallaudet, He's pursuing a bachelor degree in mathematics and then he wants to teach math, gallaudet requires him to get a masters to teach, and has told me he has about 2 years left at gallaudet. And if i went to a different school i would probably be done in 2 years with my bachelors. Gallaudet told me i would be done in 3 years. and I'm hoping my associates would transfer completely through to them when the time comes. right now they are holding my admission application until fall of 2015.

Well i have researched different schools, The only thing i am confused about is the difference between a BFA and BA in the art field. I keep hearing one is more towards business and one is more on the creative side and then i keep hearing that it does not matter which degree you get because both are similar.
You should discuss that with the department head or your academic counselor.

As far as i know about my boyfriend going to gallaudet, He's pursuing a bachelor degree in mathematics and then he wants to teach math, gallaudet requires him to get a masters to teach, and has told me he has about 2 years left at gallaudet.
That's besides my point. The point is, suppose for some reason he quit school, transferred school, or quit being your boyfriend. Would that have any effect on your college decision? Your education has to be about you, not what your boyfriend is doing. If you don't want your parents to think that he's the reason you want to go to Gallaudet, you need to completely separate your plans from his.

And if i went to a different school i would probably be done in 2 years with my bachelors. Gallaudet told me i would be done in 3 years. and I'm hoping my associates would transfer completely through to them when the time comes. right now they are holding my admission application until fall of 2015.
Fall of 2015? So you have another whole year before changing schools.

That's besides my point. The point is, suppose for some reason he quit school, transferred school, or quit being your boyfriend. Would that have any effect on your college decision? Your education has to be about you, not what your boyfriend is doing. If you don't want your parents to think that he's the reason you want to go to Gallaudet, you need to completely separate your plans from his.

Yes i have about another year before changing schools. because i'm graduating with my Associates in the spring of 2015.

I don't think that my college decision would affect on me if he transferred schools or we break up. We both agreed that school is our number one priority right now and that if theres an opportunity that opens up for me, i should take advantage of it. i mean if we break up, it happens.

Ooooo................I've got a good idea....Contact Gally and ask about their job placement rates.....I think your parents are looking at it from the perspective of "oh a name brand college will look more impressive." It CAN if you're really gifted/stand out from the crowd....but, at the same time it's REALLY hard to compete in a sea of hearing kids especially if you don't have the right connections.......Unless you're a person who is a SUPERSTAR, it is really really difficult for even hearing/nondisabled students to find a competive well paying job after graduation. I have hearing friends who are struggling in the competive job market (and they graduated with good grades etc) Let me put it this way.....discrimiantion and prejudice is still alive and well ...it's hard to deal with potential employers who may be prejudicated against dhh folks......Have your parents watch this clip......[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqI1d4rLWSM]Deaf Discrimination on ABC's "What Would You Do?" - YouTube[/ame]
THIS is what it's like in the job market for dhh people........
Whereas at a deaf college, you'd be hooked up with deaf friendly employers from the get go,which in turn would INCREASE your chances of sucessful employment......You could also argue that you could take classes through local universities, so you could get the best of both worlds.....Argue that you've always been in the mainstream, and have done well.....But with all the specialized accomondations (and social life) at a Deaf university you wouldn't have to work so hard and you could REALLY acheive.......you might even do so well you could become valectorian (which in turn would REALLY open a lot of doors for you)

Your parents seem to be acting like Gally is one of those for profit colleges or an unaccardited fly by night college.......Sure its not Harvard, but at the same time it still has the potential to produce a lot of really sucessful people.....

My days of this applying to me are well in the past. But . . . I still see articles in my local paper from the local community college suggesting that the earlier you know where you want to transfer to the better they can advise you to make sure that ALL credits transfer. This is even suggested for those just starting as freshmen.

Have you ever discuss with your parents about your identify as a deaf person, not hearing person??? Such as, you ll feel comfortable being around them who are the same experiences as you do and it gives you more to see in yourself for a better life??

Back