Confused about school

My days of this applying to me are well in the past. But . . . I still see articles in my local paper from the local community college suggesting that the earlier you know where you want to transfer to the better they can advise you to make sure that ALL credits transfer. This is even suggested for those just starting as freshmen.
Yes, I know. I worked and now study within the system. :)

From the OP's initial posts I thought that she was enrolling for this fall.

Well i have researched different schools, The only thing i am confused about is the difference between a BFA and BA in the art field. I keep hearing one is more towards business and one is more on the creative side and then i keep hearing that it does not matter which degree you get because both are similar.

As far as i know about my boyfriend going to gallaudet, He's pursuing a bachelor degree in mathematics and then he wants to teach math, gallaudet requires him to get a masters to teach, and has told me he has about 2 years left at gallaudet. And if i went to a different school i would probably be done in 2 years with my bachelors. Gallaudet told me i would be done in 3 years. and I'm hoping my associates would transfer completely through to them when the time comes. right now they are holding my admission application until fall of 2015.

when it comes Graphic Design field... where you graduated from is hardly an issue. It doesn't really matter if you're from community college or top 10 college. Graphic Design is all about how talented you are, not where you graduated from. As Reba said... your portfolio will be your most important asset. Employers do not really care what company you worked for, where you graduated from or what your GPA is or anything relating to academic because graphic design has nothing to do with it. It's a creativity field. They need to see your works.

one thing you have to expect.... Graphic Design field is very oversaturated and many people do not have full-time jobs... it's mostly contractual type. Creativity field is notoriously hard to make a decent living and that has always been like that for many years. that's why you always hear many stories about struggling writers/artists/musicians.

so I highly recommend you to expand your skills beside graphic design in order to stay afloat so that you can do other jobs while searching for graphic-related job. I have many many many friends who are graphic design major. they all do photography, logo design, web design, magazine design, etc.... and also odd jobs like waitressing, mr. fix-it, etc. very few of them are doing very well and they have their own businesses. so think carefully and plan well.

. . . so I highly recommend you to expand your skills beside graphic design in order to stay afloat so that you can do other jobs while searching for graphic-related job. I have many many many friends who are graphic design major. they all do photography, logo design, web design, magazine design, etc.... and also odd jobs like waitressing, mr. fix-it, etc. very few of them are doing very well and they have their own businesses. so think carefully and plan well.
Freelance photography is a good side job--weddings, family portraits, birthdays, etc.

Working in the art supplies department of a craft store like AC Moore, Michael's, or Hobby Lobby could be a good side job.

In addition to the portfolio, have a web site and business cards with all your contact info. That way, even if you're doing some other work, you can hand out cards to the people you meet. Networking (the human face-to-face kind) is very important in the business world. You never know when someone you meet has a job opening or knows someone who does.

Yes, I know. I worked and now study within the system. :)

From the OP's initial posts I thought that she was enrolling for this fall.

I'm planning on attending to Gallaudet fall of 2015. I am graduating with my associate's spring of 2015. I applied to gallaudet early and with my parents debate about me going to gallaudet, I had them hold my admission application, which is good for 2 years. I had them hold it last year and should be good until next year when i make a decision.

Have you ever discuss with your parents about your identify as a deaf person, not hearing person??? Such as, you ll feel comfortable being around them who are the same experiences as you do and it gives you more to see in yourself for a better life??

I have but they believe in the best of both worlds kind of thing. But most of the time i feel like they want me to be molded into a hearing person where i'm not. I had a debate with my dad today when i got home from the deaf center (we have some renovations going on and i was helping out..) about how my speech would not get me job because of the way i talk and that i will not be successful and not professional about it.. I had speech since i was 4 and i stopped speech when i was a senior in high school. My speech is so clear people can understand me and they are really impressed on how well I talk and the way my parents wants me to go to speech again, i refuse to because i already believe that I'm doing so well i don't need more speech. so with education, speech, etc it makes my confidence about myself go bad.

when it comes Graphic Design field... where you graduated from is hardly an issue. It doesn't really matter if you're from community college or top 10 college. Graphic Design is all about how talented you are, not where you graduated from. As Reba said... your portfolio will be your most important asset. Employers do not really care what company you worked for, where you graduated from or what your GPA is or anything relating to academic because graphic design has nothing to do with it. It's a creativity field. They need to see your works.

one thing you have to expect.... Graphic Design field is very oversaturated and many people do not have full-time jobs... it's mostly contractual type. Creativity field is notoriously hard to make a decent living and that has always been like that for many years. that's why you always hear many stories about struggling writers/artists/musicians.

so I highly recommend you to expand your skills beside graphic design in order to stay afloat so that you can do other jobs while searching for graphic-related job. I have many many many friends who are graphic design major. they all do photography, logo design, web design, magazine design, etc.... and also odd jobs like waitressing, mr. fix-it, etc. very few of them are doing very well and they have their own businesses. so think carefully and plan well.

That's what I told my parents but they did not believe me. They believe that my grades and my GPA is important in the graphic design field but they did not believe me until my aunt told them. Sometimes i feel like they don't take me seriously and believe me in that kind of stuff. They look at me as a kid instead of an adult college student. It makes me so frustrated!!! no matter what i say to them they want proof. And if i give them proof from what other people say, they would go "woo pie- F***ing do. they are not you. you are going to do what I say"

In addition to the portfolio, have a web site and business cards with all your contact info. That way, even if you're doing some other work, you can hand out cards to the people you meet. Networking (the human face-to-face kind) is very important in the business world. You never know when someone you meet has a job opening or knows someone who does.

I actually have a website and business card all set up. since i'm in my last year of getting my associate's, i will be making a professional portfolio for future design firms to look at. I have a feeling i will be making another professional portfolio for when i get my bachelors but other than that That kind of thing is all set up. My current school had us do that early in the year so we are prepared.

No one can make this decision but you, but in my experience today it doesn't really matter where you go for your undergraduate degree. Unless you're trying to get into Goldman Sachs or something. Not one school is any better of a pipeline into a job than another school because schools don't guarantee jobs. If you end up applying for jobs out of area, chances are not that many people would even know that Gallaudet University is a school that caters to deaf students, mainly using ASL as their main mode of communication. And there are hearing professors who teach there as well as Deaf and late deafened professors, etc. There are also hearing Children of Deaf Adults who attend, although they are probably in the minority. The overall fit between a school and a student is what matters. If you do not know ASL already be prepared to take several classes in it if you decide to attend Gallaudet.

. If you end up applying for jobs out of area, chances are not that many people would even know that Gallaudet University is a school that caters to deaf students, mainly using ASL as their main mode of communication. And there are hearing professors who teach there as well as Deaf and late deafened professors, etc. There are also hearing Children of Deaf Adults who attend, although they are probably in the minority. The overall fit between a school and a student is what matters. If you do not know ASL already be prepared to take several classes in it if you decide to attend Gallaudet.

actually to clarify.....EVERYONE at Gally uses ASL......but the myth of Gally being some radical Deaf extremist paradise where everyone only Signs is just that.......There are people who are ASL "monoglots" but you'll see ALL types of students at Gally from all sorts of programs.....there are even kids who grew up auditory verbal who now are being immersed in Deaf culture and ASL.......

actually to clarify.....EVERYONE at Gally uses ASL......but the myth of Gally being some radical Deaf extremist paradise where everyone only Signs is just that.......There are people who are ASL "monoglots" but you'll see ALL types of students at Gally from all sorts of programs.....there are even kids who grew up auditory verbal who now are being immersed in Deaf culture and ASL.......

Yes everyone does sign at Gally but I never intended this to mean that everyone is culturally Deaf. A great many are, but we still have to remember that the school was and is primarily intended for deaf people. Also "mongolots" is a really offensive term and I am sure that would not be well-received at Gallaudet. Although I am not part of the Deaf community, being monolingual ASL is their way of being and is woven into the fabric of their identity, and I will defend them on that any day.

Yes everyone does sign at Gally but I never intended this to mean that everyone is culturally Deaf. A great many are, but we still have to remember that the school was and is primarily intended for deaf people. Also "mongolots" is a really offensive term and I am sure that would not be well-received at Gallaudet. Although I am not part of the Deaf community, being monolingual ASL is their way of being and is woven into the fabric of their identity, and I will defend them on that any day.

WHAT THE?!?!?! How is "monoglot" "offensive? It just means a speaker of one language.It is a LINGUISTIC term. It's used for monoglot speakers of spoken languages too....that's basicly the best term I could come up with.....Most kids who Sign nowadays also speak as well.......And you're offensive for implying that the only "real" deaf are monolingal/monoglot ASL.......You can be culturally Deaf and have speech skills.

. . . I actually have a website and business card all set up. since i'm in my last year of getting my associate's, i will be making a professional portfolio for future design firms to look at. I have a feeling i will be making another professional portfolio for when i get my bachelors but other than that That kind of thing is all set up. My current school had us do that early in the year so we are prepared.

:thumb:

WHAT THE?!?!?! How is "monoglot" "offensive? It just means a speaker of one language.It is a LINGUISTIC term. It's used for monoglot speakers of spoken languages too....that's basicly the best term I could come up with.....Most kids who Sign nowadays also speak as well.......And you're offensive for implying that the only "real" deaf are monolingal/monoglot ASL.......You can be culturally Deaf and have speech skills.

For what it's worth....

There's a difference between referring to someone as a "monoglot" vs. someone as "a person who speaks monolingual English", or " is a monolingual ASL signer".

I never stated or implied that the only "real" deaf people are monolingual ASL signers.There are no "real" this or "not real" that so I am not sure where you are getting your statements from, deafdyke.

For what it's worth....

There's a difference between referring to someone as a "monoglot" vs. someone as "a person who speaks monolingual English", or " is a monolingual ASL signer".

I never stated or implied that the only "real" deaf people are monolingual ASL signers.There are no "real" this or "not real" that so I am not sure where you are getting your statements from, deafdyke.

mon·o·glot
ˈmänəˌglät/
adjective
using or speaking only one language.
"the moment when the monoglot heroine suddenly finds she can understand French"
noun
a person who speaks only one language.
:aw:

For what it's worth....

How? It's a perfectly legitmate lingistic term.......Are you one of those people who is obessed with "person first" language?

How? It's a perfectly legitmate lingistic term.......Are you one of those people who is obessed with "person first" language?

I'm not obsessed but I do prefer to use person first language, it is second nature to me because I work with people who have intellectual disabilities.. Sorry, but I've never heard anyone use "mongolot" or however it is spelled. And there is nothing wrong with person first language. It is just as valid as the term you pointed out.

I'm not obsessed but I do prefer to use person first language, it is second nature to me because I work with people who have intellectual disabilities.. Sorry, but I've never heard anyone use "mongolot" or however it is spelled. And there is nothing wrong with person first language. It is just as valid as the term you pointed out.

It can go into overkill.....Yes, people with ID are still people......but person first language does seem to be a way of dancing around the fact that while they're people, they also have a condition that impacts every single aspect of their life.....We wouldn't imagine calling someone "A person with maleness" or a person with femaleness right? so why do we do it with disabilty?

I see both sides...I've been a case manager working with people with cognitive or intellectual disabilities and severe autism and part of our agency's mandate and way of doing things was "person-first" language/"person-centered planning". I think people with intellectual disabilities specifically have such a long history of being considered ONLY as their disability and that de-volved further in recent times as equating "stupid" as "retarded" - "such and such book is stupid" ...when people with cognitive disabilities are people first who happen to have specific cognitive needs.

But I don't think that term monoglot is "offensive". And I -do think that PC has gone from an originally useful and kind idea <of which "cognitive disability" vs. "retarded" is one illustration> to such an over-reaching facade in some instances that it becomes pointless.

As far as OP, I do hope you come to a decision that's the best for you. :)

Let your parents read this.
Listen, you have your choice, you are not a kid again. If they won't listen to you, just show your feelings. Eh, we have same irony conditions..

Back