Comcast's super-fast cable Internet is coming

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Comcast is working on a way to make cable Internet speeds as fast as Google Fiber -- and maybe even faster.

The company is testing new technology that will connect people to the web at more than 1 Gigabit per second. That's at least 50 times faster than the typical broadband connection that most cable companies offer.

With the right modem, and under ideal circumstances, the technology is capable of delivering Internet speeds up to 10 Gigabits-per-second. Google Fiber offers connection speeds starting at 1 Gigabit per second.

Comcast's upgraded network should be complete within two to three years, according to a Comcast spokesman, a fact first reported by FierceCable.
The new technology works by making data transfer more efficient over existing cable networks, and doesn't require installation of fiber optic cables in homes.

This is different from the company's existing super high-speed Internet service Gigabit Pro, which delivers data at 2 Gigabits per second through an in-home fiber network.

Even though many companies are trying to provide faster Internet service, actual speeds can be much slower if websites don't speed up the delivery of their data.

For example, Google Fiber offers the fastest Netflix speeds in the country, averaging 3.7 Megabits per second. But Verizon (VZ, Tech30) FiOS customers get 3.53 Mbps Netflix (NFLX, Tech30) speeds and Cablevision -- a regular, copper-wire broadband service -- gets 3.47 Mbps.

Google, AT&T and Comcast say that Gigabit speeds are important for providing fast service to multiple devices that could be connected to the Internet at the same time. And they are making a long-term bet that companies like Netflix will eventually boost speeds for customers with faster connections, perhaps offering higher-quality video.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/25/tec...tml?sr=cnnmoneybin082715fastinternet0800story

I wish that Windstream is converting from DSL to fiber optic so it can support 1 gbps but it could be done by following same example that att did with u-verse.

PC game is 50 GB and it take 10 hours to finish the download on 12 mbps DSL.

People live in rural and low density/remote suburbs are out of lucky because telephone companies are starting permanent exhaust - it means they won't upgrade the DSL anymore and become oversubscribing and start fall apart as subscribers kill DSL and switch to satellite or cellular internet so eventually shut DSLAM down and kill DSL entirely.

Centurylink is doing with permanent exhaust but Windstream didn't follow same measure.

I'm on around 50mbps since I use a lot of streaming and occasional VP.

not bad? LOL holy cow! Would love to see that kind of speed.

At least we're finally getting the speed we're supposed to (me at least) after getting a new router. Worth the money.

I have no idea what my speeds are but I think it's pretty bad. I live out in the country so that helps none. I often have to turn off the wifi on my phone and just use satellite in order to connect. It's not so bad on the computer though. Comcast does not service my area, I'm just a little too far out.

DeafDucky, I was being silly and yes it's the fastest I ever touch this speed.

DeafDucky, I was being silly and yes it's the fastest I ever touch this speed.

Just curious, is it require to have cable TV before you could subscribe to faster internet?

Just curious, is it require to have cable TV before you could subscribe to faster internet?

sneaker might know more but I don't think you have to have cable tv before subscribing to faster internet. Depends on the company- some might require bundling.

Foxrac, oh no, you don't have to get a bundle. You can just get internet alone. If you get bundle it will give you more discount on internet, TV etc. That's the only differences.

Foxrac, oh no, you don't have to get a bundle. You can just get internet alone. If you get bundle it will give you more discount on internet, TV etc. That's the only differences.

Got it now. It looks like I want move to DC metro to take advantage of fastest internet speed, but their climate isn't fun in winter, however, warmer states like Florida is high risk to become underwater in near future, possibly after huge hurricanes.

Thanks, man.

Got it now. It looks like I want move to DC metro to take advantage of fastest internet speed, but their climate isn't fun in winter, however, warmer states like Florida is high risk to become underwater in near future, possibly after huge hurricanes.

Thanks, man.

What's wrong with Arizona? Century Link provide gigabit internet...

What's wrong with Arizona? Century Link provide gigabit internet...

not sure as I only lived in AZ for 6 months but the public transportation system is better in DC/MD/VA than it is in Arizona (or Alabama where he is living now).

Google Fiber been have super fast internet since 2010. They are still best.

Back