Colorism: An ignored aspect of racism.

TheOracle

Reaction score
The Lighter the Skin, the Shorter the Prison Term?

Darity says the Villanova study expands previous research and underscores a known truth. "This has been a long-standing issue and problem that all blacks don't face the same type or degree of discrimination," he says.

Treating people differently because of the lightness or darkness of their skin isn't exclusive to whites. As an example, Darity cites his research, which found that there are "real" disadvantages for darker-skinned black women when it comes to their chances of getting married.

"And one would have to say that's to a large degree the consequence of preferences on the part of black men," he says. That same preference for lighter-skinned black women over darker-skinned black women is true for white men, Darity adds.

I agree with the premise of this article with one caveat: Attractive people get less harsher sentences as well. And skin color is a matter of one's perception of beauty.

Thoughts?

you mean white-blacks like Vanessa Williams or Halle Berry? oh wait that would be reverse racism but to delude black people are treat 'alright' in Hollywood...Denzal Washington is a prick so rich because he preyed on the black population for popularity and hence riches came to him so much easier than the more-common white actors..

ethic on person human,.if suppose white and black ethic person look like human! simply!

you mean white-blacks like Vanessa Williams or Halle Berry? oh wait that would be reverse racism but to delude black people are treat 'alright' in Hollywood...Denzal Washington is a prick so rich because he preyed on the black population for popularity and hence riches came to him so much easier than the more-common white actors..

Vanessa Williams is not biracial!

There is no such thing as "reverse" racism. Racism is racism, no matter which race it is directed toward.

Vanessa Williams is not biracial!

She has green or hazel eyes, doesn't she? Her dad is part American Indian. In interviews she has claimed African American, Welsh, and Am. Indian as her background. So she's not bi-racial, she's multi-racial.

So you will take Wiki's word over Vanessa's?

Just because she does not techically fit the definition for first generation bi-racial, does not mean that in effect, she is not multi-racial. And the fact that she identifies as Black does not mean that she does not have other ethnicities in her heritage.

But at any rate, biracial is not what Grummer was referring to. He was referring to behaviors.

He didn't say she was biracial. But I can guarantee you that there is Caucasion blood in her heritage somewhere down the line.

"you mean white-blacks like Vanessa Williams or Halle Berry"
this is what he said and that sound like he was saying 'biracial'

Right. A couple lines down in that site:

However, Vanessa Williams does come from a family that has became mixed-race and continually remained mixed-race throughout the family's many generations leading up to Vanessa's very own generation. Thus, Vanessa is a Multi-generational Multiracially-Mixed (MGM-Mixed) individual, because she comes from a family that has became and continually remained mixed-race throughout its multiple generations.

(Hurts my eyes that the original writer said "has became." Ouch, ouch, ouch....)

Let us fervently hope that Vanessa Williams never commits a crime, because under the "beauty hypothesis" and the "lighter the skin, the lighter the sentence" hypothesis, the jurors would be worshipping at her feet instead of sentencing her!

She has to be one of the most beautiful working actresses of the moment. Never looks less than gorgeous in anything she's in.

"you mean white-blacks like Vanessa Williams or Halle Berry"
this is what he said and that sound like he was saying 'biracial'

Yes, that is what I am talking about, and no he did not mean "bi-racial". He was talking about Blacks that assimilate into white culture. The same as some deaf people assimilate into hearing culture and act more like hearing people than deaf people.

Blacks that have become part of the mainstream.

So you will take Wiki's word over Vanessa's?

Just because she does not techically fit the definition for first generation bi-racial, does not mean that in effect, she is not multi-racial. And the fact that she identifies as Black does not mean that she does not have other ethnicities in her heritage.

But at any rate, biracial is not what Grummer was referring to. He was referring to behaviors.

Right. I id as WASP (or perhaps it should be WASH white anglo-saxon heathen) though I'm pretty certain I have other ethnicities in my family tree.

Let us fervently hope that Vanessa Williams never commits a crime, because under the "beauty hypothesis" and the "lighter the skin, the lighter the sentence" hypothesis, the jurors would be worshipping at her feet instead of sentencing her!

She has to be one of the most beautiful working actresses of the moment. Never looks less than gorgeous in anything she's in.

Casey Anthony: Too Beautiful For Prison? - General - WESH's u local Message Board - u local, Your Orlando Photos & Videos This a link about Casey being too beautiful to go to jail!
WTF!!

Yes, that is what I am talking about, and no he did not mean "bi-racial". He was talking about Blacks that assimilate into white culture. The same as some deaf people assimilate into hearing culture and act more like hearing people than deaf people.

Blacks that have become part of the mainstream.

yes that's what i was saying, the social behavourial change can confuse, and even conceal the motive which is really whitened or whites -style in terms of reaping success while the styles depicted in media reflects the stereotypes, or at least altering it abit to align to the political-correct slant, which in a way, puesuade audience-then-social agents in society to adapt to change, that even covering to delude themselves black are still black but really its just some blacks, not all, going further to say, only a handful of black people can enjoy success like that, but its portrayed as 'everyone has the same chance' clearly we know its a lie...perfect-like black people just wins the game to cheat our lie-detector...and black's version of success always lands into the stereotype which tends to have some 'gangsta' or criminals elements to it and nothing else. Ever wondered why?

Last edited:
Back