Coffee Party Movement: An Alternative To Tea Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's something that's of interest:

Source is CNN.

It seems to be gaining popularity. We'll see how this party works out.

Washington (CNN) – The founder of the new Coffee Party movement says "we need to wake up and work hard to get our government to represent us."

Angry at what she perceived as media overexposure of the conservative Tea Party movement, Annabel Park, a 41-year-old Washington-area area documentary filmmaker, used her Facebook page to call for a Coffee Party.

Friends started replying, and replying and replying. Park then set up a fan page called "Join the Coffee Party Movement." A flood ensued and now Park has approximately 68,000 fans, most of them coming in the last five days following articles about the Coffee Party in the Washington Post and New York Times.

So what's her goal?

"Just like in the American Revolution, we are looking for real representation right now. We don't feel represented by our government right now and we don't really feel represented well by the media either," Park said Wednesday on CNN's American Morning. "It's kind of a simple call to action for people to wake up and take control over their future and demand representation. And it requires people standing up and speaking up."

Sound familiar? Tea Party activists use much of the same language in describing their year-old anti-big government movement.

So is the Coffee Party a progressive response to the Tea Party?

"It's a response to how they are trying to change our government," Park tells CNN. "It's their methodology that we are against. We may want some of the same things, but their journey is so alienating to us."

Park, who worked as a volunteer for Barack Obama's presidential campaign and Sen. Jim Webb of Virginia's 2006 campaign. says the Coffee Party is not "aligned" with any party and calls the two-party system out of date.

"It encourages people to think of politics as a kind of game, like a football game, in which there are two sides, and it's a zero sum situation. If one person wins, the other person loses. That's really not a healthy way to conduct collective decision making. That's not a democracy."

Park told American Morning that the bitter battle over health care is an example of how government is not working.

"We feel like the health care debate showed not only that we are a very divided country, but there's something really wrong with our political process. We kind of got to see the innards of the political process and realize there's something very broken. I think that's what we're responding to."

So what does the Tea Party movement think of this new sensation?

"This Coffee Party looks like a weak attempt at satire or a manufactured response to a legitimate widespread grassroots movement," says Brendan Steinhauser (no relation to this reporter), director of federal and state campaigns for FreedomWorks, a nonprofit conservative organization that helps train volunteer activists and has provided much of the organizational heft behind the Tea Party movement.

Coffee Party gatherings have taken place from coast to coast the past five weeks, and Park says they are growing in number and size.

So what's next for this fledgling movement? Park says national house parties are planned for Saturday, March 13.

Now, that's interesting! I gotta know what their agenda is.

Interesting link to check out.
Coffee Party | Wake Up and Stand Up

I'm more leaning to liberal, probably 70% but I disagree with them, especially gun rights, tight the emission law, control on oil companies that prevent from drilling but should be up to state instead of federal and some of warfare situation.

LOL... Cocoa party being a "weedroot" sounds good too!

Hot chocolate from Starbucks taste like crap.

I know it's off-topic but anything dark chocolate is good... I drink dark coffee with a spoonful of pure cocoa every morning. Green tea in the afternoon. Roobois in the evening.

Coffee gets me going... rooboois has no caffeine so helps me sleep.

Uh, this is a party that is all about ending all the gridlock and improving the impasse that currently is Washington, DC. It also wants an end to corporate interests that are pulling the strings in DC. They're sick of the ideologues from both parties in DC. It wants solutions - not more ideology.

I don't see anything to do with the Second Amendment as this party is more interested in the process and it want to see things improve in DC.

Here's its platform:
We are diverse — ethnically, geographically, politically, in age and in experience.

We are 100% grassroots. No lobbyists here. No pundits. And no hyper-partisan strategists calling the shots in this movement. We are a spontaneous and collective expression of our desire to forge a culture of civic engagement that is solution-oriented, not blame-oriented.

We demand a government that responds to the needs of the majority of its citizens as expressed by our votes and by our voices; NOT corporate interests as expressed by misleading advertisements and campaign contributions.

We want a society in which democracy is treated as sacrosanct and ordinary citizens participate out of a sense of civic duty, civic pride, and a desire to contribute to society. The Coffee Party is a call to action. Our Founding Fathers and Mothers gave us an enduring gift — Democracy — and we must use it to meet the challenges that we face as a nation.

Uh, this is a party that is all about ending all the gridlock and improving the impasse that currently is Washington, DC. It also wants an end to corporate interests that are pulling the strings in DC. They're sick of the ideologues from both parties in DC. It wants solutions - not more ideology.
This bill is not a solution- it will only make the problem worse by adding another huge entitlement at a time where our financial survival depends on us reigning in the already existing entitlement programs. This bill is purely ideological and the only thing stopping it is gridlock. Gridlock can be a very good thing.

Incidentally, at the health care summit, it was the Republicans (specifically Paul Ryan) who were proposing real solutions while the Democrats were telling a bunch of sob stories about ladies having to use dead peoples' dentures and the President whining about his car insurance company not fixing his car because he had only bought liability insurance.

I don't see anything to do with the Second Amendment as this party is more interested in the process and it want to see things improve in DC.

Here's its platform:

tell me - what is ideology?

cupoftea2.jpg

I generally avoid political movements named after beverages. It's a personal quirk. *snort*

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

sallylou said:
I generally avoid political movements named after beverages. It's a personal quirk. *snort*

:lol: I can imagine that.

Milk Party
Cola Coca Party
Water Party
Beer Party
Apple Juice Party
Whatever party is.

:P

It's in the dictionary.

hmm naw, i want to read it from you, i understand theres a lot of different meanings of it. What want to know is why does 'ideology' has to do with tea partys? (snobby functions? if so, then maybe elaborate) but maybe maybe its confused with political thoughts/affliation rather than ideology itself?

Here's something that's of interest:

Source is CNN.

It seems to be gaining popularity. We'll see how this party works out.

Thank you for posting that. Its great to see people taking an interest in politics.

A Starbucks PAC?

J/k :lol:

This bill is not a solution- it will only make the problem worse by adding another huge entitlement at a time where our financial survival depends on us reigning in the already existing entitlement programs. This bill is purely ideological and the only thing stopping it is gridlock. Gridlock can be a very good thing.

Incidentally, at the health care summit, it was the Republicans (specifically Paul Ryan) who were proposing real solutions while the Democrats were telling a bunch of sob stories about ladies having to use dead peoples' dentures and the President whining about his car insurance company not fixing his car because he had only bought liability insurance.

Wasn't it Demint who said that he wants Heathcare to be Obama's waterloo? That to me is a sign that many of the Republicans do not want to cooperate with the Democrats on the healthcare thing. With statements like that, is it any wonder why I think the Democrats would have to go it alone? Obama hasn't given up any bipartisan attempts though I think neither parties are truly interested in bipartisanship.

My first reaction to the anti-fillbuster bill was that "careful, you may get what you want" and a Democrat has nixed this bill. As for the source regarding this bill, I could not find a more neutral source.

According to this site, clotures have gone thru an considerable increase since the 92 congress. Note that the 110 Congress has invoked a record 61 clotures. This was when Obama was running for President if I'm not mistaken. And that the 111 Congress has already set up 40 clotures so far. It remains to be seen if it will match or exceed the 110 Congress record. This trend did not begin with this Presidency as much as people would like pin everything on our President.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back