Codas

what is CODA?

I am hearing looking for deaf friends. years ago I was an interpreter at my church. I left the church and miss my deaf friends. this website is so hard to use and there are no sign language symbols....its pretty much useless. :( no wonder there is no true deaf chat!:(

what is CODA?
I am hearing looking for deaf friends. years ago I was an interpreter at my church. I left the church and miss my deaf friends. this website is so hard to use and there are no sign language symbols....its pretty much useless. :( no wonder there is no true deaf chat!:(

It's pretty hard to believe an interpreter doesn't know what a CODA is.

:hmm: :deaf: :ty: :ily:

CODA is something that has to do with putting turbo engine in rear of an old VW Bug. Wouild also be done with new Bugs.

See, I helped you. YOu don't need to google it up. Now you know the meaning of CODA.

Many years ago, when I was a kid, I went to temple. One of the boys there was a CODA. However, during Sunday School sessions, he hardly used ASL. I'm pretty sure he knew ASL, but he never showed it or interacted with few of the deaf patrons there.

I guess that he was self conscious and embarrassed to be seen using ASL in public. That was in mid and late 1980s.

I met one hearing girl through someone graduated from my OSD, through she is much older than me. The girl is someone's child, and she's nice gal. :)

That is it, yeah.

i met too many codas and some of them are cool, some of them are not cool. it is part of life here. oh well ha

I see them at the deaf club sometimes. Not too often. But they've always been welcomed.

I know so many children CODAs who are fluent in ASL. They sign like they are deaf. My sonis fluent in ASL but he doesn't sign like a deaf child.

Same way a hearing child will mumble instead of speaking up and clearly.

They mumble in ASL. lol

I went up to the interpreter after church (she is a friend of mine) to congratulate her on something she did, totally unrelated to interpreting, but the only place I see her is church, and one of the deaf women who saw me signing asked her if I was deaf. I was totally THRILLED! (the woman had met me before so maybe the fact that I was familiar to her is why she thought that, but I'll take it!)

Last edited:
When I interact with lot of terps cuz my ex wife was (well..she still is) an interpreter and back in the old day that many terp thought I was a fake deaf person but now that changed. Now many of them think that I'm CODA. If someone bring up like this.. I said back to them "Sorry, I need to change my hearing aid battery"...(nodding)

Back