Coclear question

sonocativo

Reaction score
I was pondering getting coclear implants lately.... And something caught me off guard being I had BTE before.

When my BTE got around 2 years old they seemed to be outdated as well as didn't help me much anymore due to declining hearing. Also the BTE would crap out from time to time due to sweat and whatever else mechanically/electronically inside.
Now that VR wont give me replacements due to "Im not working" which is BS, they said that CI would be covered under my Medicaid.

Now my question is, will the processor last or will it crap out as well as the way the BTE did over the years? Are the processors covered under any sort of warranty or protection plan?
A big question is, from what I read here is the processors are matched to the implants and wont work if wrong one is on the wrong side... So, lets say in the future I want a different brand or new processor, will they not work or am I stuck with whatever I have when I first get them?
My hearing is so far gone, my son thinks mom is actually yelling AT me...when she is just loud so I can hear her, I can barely hear my son now and I am confused with what options there are, I know its a permanent deal once the surgery is done, Just trying to get a little more insight one the matter. Thanks for your feedback on this.

If you get a Cochlear cochlear implant, you can only use Cochlear's processors. You can get newer processors over the years when they have been released, the audiologist will program it for your implant. AB only works with AB implants, Med-El with Med-El only. It's not like a hearing aid where you can do Phonak for a while, then switch to Oticon later, then Starkey even later. Just doesn't work like that with the implants. Can only stick with the one company (unless you decide to go bilateral and want to choose a different company for the other ear, some people do that).

Processors are always improving and becoming more and more robust over the years. They should be a lot more sturdier now than they were 10 years ago. Better water resistant ratings, some have water proof options, etc.

My Ex was a CODA, and her father had dual C.I.'s implanted in 2004 I believe is what he told me. His are still working great! He's updated the processor I believe once recently... but other than that, he swears by them! It's all up to you and what you decide works best for you. There are tons of options and choices out there, just do your research and pick one that's best! =) I personally do not have one, but have been referred as a candidate so I've read a decent amount on them... I hear they're pretty amazing. My mothers friend has one ( she's not deaf just has hearing loss in one ear ) and she loves it. =) If it's covered, why not? They're not cheap if you have to pay out of pocket that's for damn sure. =/

The cochlear implant may 'crap out' if you don't take care of it.

Moisture is the biggest problem to why it would 'crap out' with both hearing aids and cochlear implants.

Get a dry n store and that will solve most of your problems with them 'crapping out'

Both hearing aids and cochlear implants will need to be taken care of for them to carry on working.

I've used a dry n store since wearing my hearing aids sailing and they've never crapped out because of using the dry n store. If I hadn't being using the dry n store, they would be long dead already.

HAs will last for a decade or more if you take care of them. I have some Phonak aids from the 1980s that still work.

I also still have a 9.5 year old Widex that is still functioning, though it has been repaired several times. I upgraded from it just this year to a Phonak Q90 because I have an AB implant. AB and Phonak are both owned by Sonova so when I get the new Naida processor they will both work with a single ComPilot.

Honestly, the CI processors are much more expensive and seem quite a bit more durable than most HAs. I have not had my Harmony ever stop working due to sweat, which has happened many times to me with HAs. I also have a Neptune, which is actually waterproof and designed for swimming or other water activities.

From what I understand, there is a warranty available for AB processors, though in most cases you can get the CI processor repaired for about the same as the cost of the warranty for a year, so it's not really cost effective.

With AB CIs at least, the least durable parts are replaceable (T-Mics, batteries, and headpieces) and while not cheap, are not super expensive either. I don't know much about the accessories for the other implant manufacturers since I don't have any personal experience there, but it's probably similar.

HAs will last for a decade or more if you take care of them. I have some Phonak aids from the 1980s that still work.

I also still have a 9.5 year old Widex that is still functioning, though it has been repaired several times. I upgraded from it just this year to a Phonak Q90 because I have an AB implant. AB and Phonak are both owned by Sonova so when I get the new Naida processor they will both work with a single ComPilot.

Honestly, the CI processors are much more expensive and seem quite a bit more durable than most HAs. I have not had my Harmony ever stop working due to sweat, which has happened many times to me with HAs. I also have a Neptune, which is actually waterproof and designed for swimming or other water activities.

From what I understand, there is a warranty available for AB processors, though in most cases you can get the CI processor repaired for about the same as the cost of the warranty for a year, so it's not really cost effective.

With AB CIs at least, the least durable parts are replaceable (T-Mics, batteries, and headpieces) and while not cheap, are not super expensive either. I don't know much about the accessories for the other implant manufacturers since I don't have any personal experience there, but it's probably similar.

Quick question, would things like Douphone work with the AB Naida and Naida Q? I always thought that they would but after reading things in the last few months, I'm not so sure.
I can only get 1 CI and will always have a hearing aid as well so would love for all the features to work if I get the correct hearing aid etc etc and not have to miss out etc.

The cochlear implant may 'crap out' if you don't take care of it.

Moisture is the biggest problem to why it would 'crap out' with both hearing aids and cochlear implants.

Get a dry n store and that will solve most of your problems with them 'crapping out'

Both hearing aids and cochlear implants will need to be taken care of for them to carry on working.

I've used a dry n store since wearing my hearing aids sailing and they've never crapped out because of using the dry n store. If I hadn't being using the dry n store, they would be long dead already.
Yes, I used the dry n store, but I sweat like a pig in the summer, and they still crapped out on me.

If you get a Cochlear cochlear implant, you can only use Cochlear's processors. You can get newer processors over the years when they have been released, the audiologist will program it for your implant. AB only works with AB implants, Med-El with Med-El only. It's not like a hearing aid where you can do Phonak for a while, then switch to Oticon later, then Starkey even later. Just doesn't work like that with the implants. Can only stick with the one company (unless you decide to go bilateral and want to choose a different company for the other ear, some people do that).

Processors are always improving and becoming more and more robust over the years. They should be a lot more sturdier now than they were 10 years ago. Better water resistant ratings, some have water proof options, etc.
I like the waterproof options they have come up with. I just don't want something that's gonna cost me a fortune just because I sweat so much. I know when Im working, it just seems sweat pours down the back of my ears and I hate it.

Quick question, would things like Douphone work with the AB Naida and Naida Q? I always thought that they would but after reading things in the last few months, I'm not so sure.
I can only get 1 CI and will always have a hearing aid as well so would love for all the features to work if I get the correct hearing aid etc etc and not have to miss out etc.

Nope. I originally thought they would as well, but Naida CIs can only pair to other Naida CIs, so the bilateral features aren't going to work with the combination, sadly. There's really nothing hardware-wise that prevents them from linking the two. Hopefully they will fix it in the future so bimodal users aren't left in the cold.

Honestly i am pretty disappointed after forking out the money for the advanced HA. The Naida is $9500 and I got implanted 2 months before they started giving out the vouchers, so it's going to be quite some time before I can afford it after blowing $3500 on the HA.

I like the waterproof options they have come up with. I just don't want something that's gonna cost me a fortune just because I sweat so much. I know when Im working, it just seems sweat pours down the back of my ears and I hate it.

Well the Neptune is totally waterproof in the waterproof configuration. No other CI processor is designed for complete immersion for long periods of time. Literally you are able to just jump in a lake with it.

I know you do need an insurance for CI. My hub lost his CI. He regretted about not having insurance earlier.

for Naida HA and Naida CI, my understanding is the Naida CI Zoom Control and DuoPhone wil only work if you have bilateral Naida CIs, not one CI and one Naida HA. Only good feature of having a Naida HA with the Naida CI is that you can use a single ComPilot for both (the MyPilot remote for the CI is separate from the one for the HA and can only be ordered through AB). AB does have plans to have more new BTE processors released in the next few years (supposedly a new one by next year, another one the NEXT year, etc.)., so Hazridi, by the time you reach the 5 year mark, there should be an even newer BTE processor to upgrade to that should be better than the Naida CI. I can't get the Naida CI as my CI is only a year and half old (so gotta wait 3 and half years before I can upgrade).

Dry and Store... I know AB will include a small Dry and Store (the Zephyr) with the kit. I think Cochlear has a Dry and Store of some sort included in their kit as well. Not sure about Med-El. But useful to dry out CI processors if they should be exposed to moisture. Cochlear and AB have water resistant BTE's (and AB's Neptune can be completely waterproof). Cochlear has the AquaAccessory (baggy) for their processor to "waterproof" it. I know some people swear by the Gears for Ears/Ear Gears for keeping their processors dry and protected.

Now my question is, will the processor last or will it crap out as well as the way the BTE did over the years? Are the processors covered under any sort of warranty or protection plan?
A big question is, from what I read here is the processors are matched to the implants and wont work if wrong one is on the wrong side... So, lets say in the future I want a different brand or new processor, will they not work or am I stuck with whatever I have when I first get them?
My hearing is so far gone, my son thinks mom is actually yelling AT me...when she is just loud so I can hear her, I can barely hear my son now and I am confused with what options there are, I know its a permanent deal once the surgery is done, Just trying to get a little more insight one the matter. Thanks for your feedback on this.

To answer your question regarding the processor it is covered by a 3 year warranty and they will actually replace it if you lose it once I believe. you can then buy insurance by the year to cover the processor. Replacing the processor runs at about $6000 + more then a HA but really not that much more then a really good Bluetooth HA... but unless you are having problems with the processor, remapping will usually take helps take care of most problems.

You or your insurance would be responsible for the mapping and batteries.

I am waiting for Cochlears new processor the nucleus 6 to be approved it looks like it will have Bluetooth capabilities and I'm really looking forward to that, it will be my next upgrade!. My dd loves her Bluetooth capable HA's and I can say i'm waiting for that option in the CI.

:lol:

Yes, I used the dry n store, but I sweat like a pig in the summer, and they still crapped out on me.

I sometimes sweat a lot when working out. My cheap solution is to cut the finger tips off one of those little knit gloves that cost about .99 a pair and just slide that over the bottom part of the processor. You can choose any color you want and the knit cover absorbs the sweat those keeping it from getting into the processor.

To answer your question regarding the processor it is covered by a 3 year warranty and they will actually replace it if you lose it once I believe. you can then buy insurance by the year to cover the processor. Replacing the processor runs at about $6000 + more then a HA but really not that much more then a really good Bluetooth HA... but unless you are having problems with the processor, remapping will usually take helps take care of most problems.

You or your insurance would be responsible for the mapping and batteries.

I am waiting for Cochlears new processor the nucleus 6 to be approved it looks like it will have Bluetooth capabilities and I'm really looking forward to that, it will be my next upgrade!. My dd loves her Bluetooth capable HA's and I can say i'm waiting for that option in the CI.

:lol:

The N6 processor has been FDA approved, just not the wireless capabilities yet. Separate FDA process still awaiting approval, but people are currently getting the N6 processors in the meantime.

AB's Naida Q70 is designed to work with either ear if you are bilaterally implanted. This way you do not have to concern yourself with which processor goes on which ear. Both ears are programmed into both processors so that it will connect to whatever ear you put it on after detecting which one it is.

I started with the Platinum Series Processor, a fairly heavy, bulky, and ugly processor then I went on to the Harmony. Now I use a brand new Naida Q70. So no, you aren't stuck with what you started with.

Sounds like the AB Neptune, which is waterproof-you can swim with it--is something for you to investigate. It has an off-the-ear option so you wouldn't need to wear anything on your ear at all. The headpiece is also waterproof and you could just clip the processor to your shirt or whatever.

Rehab paid for HA for me when I went to collage , I had to be working or going to collage to get HA from rehab. That is why it's called Rehab they help people get back on their feet not sit around on their butts.

Back