Cochlear Yes or Cochlear No?

So sorry. I'm the idiot not my new ENT. He gave me info on the Cochlear
Baha3. I thought CI and Cochlear Baha3 were the one and same. I have damage to the outer and middle ear, my inner ear is fine. Thanks for the new information! :Oops:

It's OK..............I've seen people use the term cochlear implant for the BAHA.......In that case, you CAN try it out and see how it works for you....The BAHA still has ALL the traditional limitations that technology gives you. ......

So sorry. I'm the idiot not my new ENT. He gave me info on the Cochlear
Baha3. I thought CI and Cochlear Baha3 were the one and same. I have damage to the outer and middle ear, my inner ear is fine. Thanks for the new information! :Oops:

Easy mistake to make especially if its all new for you. My friend has a BAHA and loves it but she has the Cordelle II BAHA.

Bone conduction "problems" are NOT "helped by a Cochlear Implant but by a BAHA.
It is hard to be accurate when doesn't understand the difference. Not surprising, of course-most of us aren't ENT doctors yet.

Again good luck Trista in getting the solution to your actual problem.

I have been HOH for almost 38 years and only just now found out that the type of hearing loss I have is called Conductive hearing loss. Thanks all for your replies, I have my answer. Due to my lack of research into my problem until now, I feel that the problem is not bad enough to do any thing about at this time. If it was affecting my quality of life, I would know more about it like all of you guys, right? Plus I'm a chicken. Thanks.

Thanks for clarifying.

One thing I would like to point out: If you haven't heard sounds in your bad ear for that long, introducing new sounds to it this late in life is not going to work out that well.

Like people who emerge from comas with muscular dystrophy, when we are young and developing, the brain learns and maps all the stuff it receives from the cochlea, which enables you to interpret sounds. If many years have passed without that crucial stage, it will be much more difficult later in life, and will take many years. This is why implantation on adults that haven't used their cochleas yet does not usually work out.

My left side is nowhere near as successful as my right side due to not wearing HA's on the left side as long as my right, and even though the CI helps, it is nowhere near as good as my right side.

And....Trust me, you will get a lot more respect if everyone knows how to communicate with you effectively. Just make it a habit to tell everyone upfront you can't hear in that ear, and things usually go well after that. No, no matter what, we can't do well in noisy environments, period.

Thanks for clarifying.

One thing I would like to point out: If you haven't heard sounds in your bad ear for that long, introducing new sounds to it this late in life is not going to work out that well.

Like people who emerge from comas with muscular dystrophy, when we are young and developing, the brain learns and maps all the stuff it receives from the cochlea, which enables you to interpret sounds. If many years have passed without that crucial stage, it will be much more difficult later in life, and will take many years. This is why implantation on adults that haven't used their cochleas yet does not usually work out.

My left side is nowhere near as successful as my right side due to not wearing HA's on the left side as long as my right, and even though the CI helps, it is nowhere near as good as my right side.

And....Trust me, you will get a lot more respect if everyone knows how to communicate with you effectively. Just make it a habit to tell everyone upfront you can't hear in that ear, and things usually go well after that. No, no matter what, we can't do well in noisy environments, period.

I know I have said it before. But . . . all of my friends are "hearing" to one degree or another (one gal has just gotten her first aids in her 80's). What I encounter in that bunch makes me think that there are quite a number on AD that think "hearing" people understand more in noisy environments than they actually do.

True, but they still do much better than those of us with any kind of hearing loss.

Bone conduction "problems" are NOT "helped by a Cochlear Implant but by a BAHA.
It is hard to be accurate when doesn't understand the difference. Not surprising, of course-most of us aren't ENT doctors yet.

Again good luck Trista in getting the solution to your actual problem.

Yes, thanks. Not an ENT but thanks to all the great feed back that I have received and a little research I now do understand the difference. Thinking I can wait a little bit (lot) longer before making any changes to that area of my life. Thanks again!

This is what you need if you have SSD.

SSD

WOAH !!!!

you have it wrong ..

BAHA and CI are completely different technologies for completely different types of loss.

Unilateral or bilateral have NOTHING to do with the choice between a CI and a BAHA. It is what part of the ear is broken that determines which choice is best. Not how many ears are broken.

WOAH !!!!

you have it wrong ..

BAHA and CI are completely different technologies for completely different types of loss.

Unilateral or bilateral have NOTHING to do with the choice between a CI and a BAHA. It is what part of the ear is broken that determines which choice is best. Not how many ears are broken.

WOAH!!!

You have mis understood!

Single sided deafness is well known to get a BAHA even if its a sensi loss on the deaf side.

It is not common to get a CI for SSD.

Did I state it was on how many ears were 'broken'?

WOAH!!!

You have mis understood!

Single sided deafness is well known to get a BAHA even if its a sensi loss on the deaf side.

It is not common to get a CI for SSD.

Did I state it was on how many ears were 'broken'?

How is "single sided deafness" not "how many ears are broken". Does not the word "single" mean "one" ??

My point here is that there are MANY factors that determine if a baha or ci is indicated. Making generalizations based on the number of broken units , not which parts are broken , is not logical.

How is "single sided deafness" not "how many ears are broken". Does not the word "single" mean "one" ??

My point here is that there are MANY factors that determine if a baha or ci is indicated. Making generalizations based on the number of broken units , not which parts are broken , is not logical.

Maybe if you look up what single sided deafness means, you'll understand

Here's a quote from google!

Unilateral hearing loss (UHL) or single-sided deafness (SSD) is a type of hearing impairment where there is normal hearing in one ear and impaired hearing in the other ear.

Here's how a BAHA works for people who have SSD or UHL works as well

The BAHA device works by transferring sound directly to the inner ear (cochlea), using bone conduction.
The device has three main parts - an external sound processor and abutment, which are attached to a small titanium implant, which is placed in the bone just behind the ear.
Sound is picked up by the sound processor, which transmits sound vibrations through the titanium implant to the skull bone. The sound waves then travel through the patient's skull directly to the working inner ear.
The BAHA device is placed behind the deaf ear and sound is transferred across the skull to the cochlea of the patient’s hearing ear, on the opposite side of their head. A subtle difference in sound, combined with a minimal time delay allows patients to determine from which side the sound originates - helping to restore the sensation of hearing on both sides. Controls on the clip-on device allow the volume to be varied. A directional microphone can be attached to the sound processor to further help 'zoom in' on sound.
The device can be used throughout the day, but needs to be clipped off for swimming, showers and rough sports.

You really make no sense!

SSD is most commonly known to get a BAHA even if its sensi loss
Conductive losses most commonly known, to get BAHAs as well.
Sensi losses most commonly known to get CIs if severe to profound in both ears.

Your quote here

Very few hospital/insurance companies will implant a CI if you have SSD. There are a few people in the world that have had it done but it is not a well known thing to do with SSD!

Back