Cochlear uses animal testing for med research!

soutthpaw

Reaction score
Yep the are using this tiger in animal testing for medical research. The flew me into Denver. Just relaxing at hotel. Go over tmw and spend the day doing more testing and get new mapping done. Then they crate me up and ship me back to Reno! [emoji197] [emoji197] [emoji197] [emoji75] [emoji75] [emoji75]

BTW if anyone has technical questions they want asked. Post here and I'll try to get answer tmw.

*Giggles,*
Soutthpaw Tiger.

Hee. Yeah, just struck me as funny idea. It's all auditory perception, sound localization, recognizing speech in background noise etc. They did one last time looking at localization with the both implants connected with a wire. So that they were "talking with each other" supposedly to localize sound. What we may see in the future is that both implants (bilateral users) use the wireless to better localize, focus on sound, interpret addition sound etc. The researchers are designing and testing all sorts of different strategies/coding etc. This is one reason I disagree with those who claim brand A or B or C is better or more advanced. All 3 companies have teams of researchers working on this stuff. If anything, the hardware is ahead of the research. Meaning there is plenty of room to grow and develop. Each new model gets improvements based on actual or predicted limits that are found during the R and D process.

Man youre gonna get PETA all over this like myself.... ( People Love Tasty Animals )

Good luck Southpaw. I hope your brain isn't exposed like the other poor little cats and beagles in medical experiments...

ANIMAL ABUSE! Oh boy, last thing they did was this neural response testing. Don't understand it but it's testing the electrical simulation and resistance of the nerve but it sometimes causes some minor pain that's when I'm supposed to say stop. Anyway putting the implants back on sounded really weird. Basically over worked nerve. Triggered some tinnitus. So just implant free for tonite. Also did some sentences with competing babble noise using Bilateral linked implants.

Sharing the following because I think it will help folks understand CI technical concepts better.
Did spend the morning getting new maps. Prob 2 1/2 hrs just on mapping and tweaking. All T and C levels redone. Have 4 new programs.
Maxima was changed from 6 to 8 which generally resulted in perceived volume increase. MAXIMA = Total number of electrodes that are stimulated simultaneously.
Here is important concept to understand about rates used in brand comparisons. The #maxima X PPS = RATE. So my first map below is 8X1200=9600. Also higher rate = more battery power used. Very few CI recipients will ever here a map even remotely close to maximum available rate. I think the N6 is 32000 or higher.

««««««««««MY MAPS»»»»»»»»»»
P1: SCAN in channel 1 @ 1200pps.(= rate of 9600) All maps at 75dB C-SPL. Due to multiple changes too my baseline, she didn't want to increase the C level to max of 84. Can do that next time if current maps are working good. I'll post SCAN explanation in my CI features post

P2: SAME AS ABOVE except experimenting with 900pps (= rate of 7200). Also required it's own set of T and C levels remapped. Note: anytime the Rate (pps) is changed T and C levels need too be redone. First thing I noticed was it's quieter map (less total simulation.)

P3 is Zoom. +SNR-NR +WNR. MANUAL SENSITIVITY. rate 1200. This is a map I came up with for conversation in noise. It gives directly ahead focus blocks wind noise and steady-constant noises too. Manual sensitivity only, so I can adjust the amount of background noise that is blocked but keep speech at a more steady volume and avoid varying background and speech sounds levels by removing ASC and ADRO. It's a backup in case SCAN starts constantly switching modes in certain noisy situations.

P4: BLUE COLLAR MODE. This is another one of my design. Basically it's all progressing features turned off and manual sensitivity only. 1200pps. Basically as a mechanic and welder, it's beneficial to be able to listen to things such as engines running. The sound a proper welding makes (frying bacon) and many others sounds. However, EVERY processing function considers these noise and unwanted sounds (as the CI is all
about understanding speech) so it tries to block or suppress these sounds. Exactly opposite of what I want it to do. It also provides a relatively unaltered sound experience which I can compare to the various other maps to see how and what they are filtering. The only feature that can't be disabled or changed is AGC.

Lastly we had a lengthy discussion about how the AGC and or other processing strategy features were being overly aggressive and removing too much sound and volume. This actually may lead to a change in AGC or software functionality and design down the road.

I also wrote a comprehensive explanation of most of the Cochlear Programming Features in, hopefully a clearer explanation that will benefit those with an interest in any Aspect of CI's. Will post in separate thread once I have it finished.
Please realize I'm not Advocating any brand being better than another. But as Cochlear is only brand I have personal experience with, it's the one I can comment on. I'm sure a good portion of this can apply to AB or Med-El.

Maxima was changed from 6 to 8 which generally resulted in perceived volume increase. MAXIMA = Total number of electrodes that are stimulated simultaneously.

It is impossible for your internal to stimulate 8 electrodes simultaneously. That requires multiple power sources. It would also serve no benefit to fire that many electrodes at once due to channel interaction.

I believe you intended to state that the total electrodes stimulated sequentially and roved was changed from 6 to 8. That is how ACE works. A section of the array is stimulated and roves up and down depending on the most prominent auditory input at the moment.

I've often been frustrated with the AGC as well. I think mostly what has happened in the CI industry is that they were first there for those that had never heard and programming them was more about getting some environmental sounds and speech. Along the way, post-lingual users were CI recipients but the philosophy behind programming them has not changed and many audis are still ok with the focus on getting speech but not really sound quality. We need to move ahead to quality now.

I'm doing a research study this week as well. I find them fascinating. It's several different tests through the week but yesterday was mostly set with getting M levels (C and T levels) set to the maximum comfort levels for the purposes of the tests. These were set in their computer, not my processors. We found that I can max out the thresholds in my left ear and still not be uncomfortable with the sound. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing :D. It also explains why my audis have stopped M levels before I have gotten to a point where the sound level is comfortable. I'm at about 1270 Clinical Units on electrodes 2-15 and hit over 1300 on 16 before the sounds just leveled off and didn't get any louder even. Not sure why that happens.

I also did some pitch perception testing. I knew that my pitches were off between my ears, pretty obvious. Today they will create some maps for me to balance out those sounds. I am very interested in seeing how that works!! There were a couple sounds I just could not get match at all. It was a lot harder than I anticipated that is for sure!

As for the one company being better than another, sure, they all do R and D, but some of the technology is just more advanced from one company to another. You had to create your own speech in noise program, for example. AB has had that program out for all users for 2+ years now. The electrode strategies between the companies make a huge difference as well. All of the companies are fine for someone that has never heard or has had very little hearing for most of their life. Cochlear, however, is just not as good for those of us that were late deafened and know what things are supposed to sound like.

Your 3rd program sounds similar to one I use in the car, lower sensitivity mainly to block out background noise.

I have a wind program that I "created" in my 5th slot--it just uses the processor mics which are hidden behind my ears so it blocks the wind noise. I love that program when I'm out walking or whatever. It's not as good picking up cars coming behind me as my every day program, but it's good enough. I can still understand anyone I'm walking with just fine.

I have a wind program that I "created" in my 5th slot--it just uses the processor mics which are hidden behind my ears so it blocks the wind noise. I love that program when I'm out walking or whatever. It's not as good picking up cars coming behind me as my every day program, but it's good enough. I can still understand anyone I'm walking with just fine.

My "wind program" just boils down to switching the the headpiece mic while wearing a cap. This may not work for you depending on the implant placement, but it's just right for me. The cap acts as a wind screen while still allowing for full clarity (not muffled.)

My "wind program" just boils down to switching the the headpiece mic while wearing a cap. This may not work for you depending on the implant placement, but it's just right for me. The cap acts as a wind screen while still allowing for full clarity (not muffled.)
Yeah I never understood why it picks up so much wind noise when there is goretex covering over the mikes as goretex blocks all the wind. Next visit my volumes are going up. I tried to explain that when I go to a rave and the music is thumping and loud I want it to sound loud. I can always dial back the volume, but when max volume sounds like a whisper, that sucks.

It probably would work if I wore a hat. I really dislike wearing hats though.

Back