Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

That's quite a definition of hearing that you've made up there. Hearing is the perception of sound stimuli. Look it up. Yes, my daughter immediately responded to sounds in her environment, and could discriminate between tones and hand claps, and even find them from a completely different part of the house. She was able to hear from day 1. Within a few weeks she was able to distinguish the difference between the dogs panting softly below her bedroom window and a cat meowing in the same place without seeing either of them. CIs work and they work well, and the risks associated with them are negligible.

Death is negligible???? Sorry, death is a HUGE thing to me.

Then what is wrong with a hearing aid? Hearing aid has zip problems associated with CI.

Yes, of course a hearing aid would be a better choice -- if there were a choice possible. But there isn't, they aren't interchangeable: a person eligible for a CI isn't able to benefit from a hearing aid.

Last edited:
If they truly really do not understand deafness, then they have no place acting like they are experts in deafness. I am sick of it. Either be honest or stop playing these stupid games like the few posts above me.

Granted, I know a lot of people dont like Jillio and yes, I get tired of the fighting as well. Yes, Jillio should cease sometimes but others who complain about her should do the same too. You cant complain and yet do the same crap yourselves.
Parents that decide to opt for CI do NOT do this because the think they understand deafness or Deafness, they do it because they understand hearing.
And in order not to hurt the feelings of some of the Deaf in this message board they will say the child can hear..., avoiding the forbidden (in this messageboard, in connection with CI) word "hearing".

She has worked with many CI users who have shared their experiences with her as adults so she is not as clueless as some have claimed.
I agree... It's the deaf children that can hear with CI she doesn't understand. She meets many, many people that do not like CI. Some had bad experiences, for some it didn't work, some don't like it because they misunderstand how it works and some don't like it because they are supposed not to like it...
I dont know if you are a parent or not....parents tend to be biased. I know I am when it comes to my children so it is most likely we are getting subjective opinions rather than objective opinions from them. You might be right... Then again, these parents share their experiences of their lives with children with CI, just like you are sharing experiences of a life without CI... Neither of us is an expert in any of the two sides.

My mom truly believed that I functioned well as a hearing person because I "survived" by being mainstreamed orally with almost no support. Doesnt mean that I am a hearing person.
Treating someone that cannot hear as a hearing person is terrible... Treating someone that that can hear (with/without CI) is perfectly natural.. Isn't it all about acknowledging the abilities of the other party?

Just my two cents.
Adding my 3 cents to make it a nickel..

I've been hanging around and reading for awhile. It seems that most cochlear implant threads devolve into one hearing parent with no experience with cochlear implants arguing about the benefit children get from their devices with parents who actually do have every day, real life experience with cochlear implants.

Just my opinion though.
there are not many hearing parent with no experience with cochlear implants around on this message board...

Most of the arguments are between deaf parents with no experience with cochlear implants and hearing parents with experience with children with cochlear implants.

What I appreciate is that the are passionate that they don't want to see the same thing happen to our children as happened to themselves.
The only thing is.... The starting point of our children is totally different from theirs..

Death is negligible???? Sorry, death is a HUGE thing to me.
Are you deliberately misreading...
Death is a huge thing... Especially to parents. Don't suggest that the parent is thinking otherwise...

But if you are serious about death being a huge thing... I hope you do not drive a car...

Then what is wrong with a hearing aid? Hearing aid has zip problems associated with CI.
Do you really not understand the difference between a HA and a CI..?

When you are HoH a hearing aid will help you to hear. If your hearing loss is getting worse, you will need stronger HAs to hear... At some point, HAs will not be able to give you the ability to hear.
THEN there are different options...
  • You can continue to go through life without hearing.
  • You can investigate in getting a CI in order to start to hear again.

there are not many hearing parent with no experience with cochlear implants around on this message board...

Most of the arguments are between deaf parents with no experience with cochlear implants and hearing parents with experience with children with cochlear implants.

What I appreciate is that the are passionate that they don't want to see the same thing happen to our children as happened to themselves.
The only thing is.... The starting point of our children is totally different from theirs..

I suspect he's referring to Jillio, who is also a hearing parent, but I believe she has some experience with CIs -- at one point she mentioned that she's met something like 15 people with CIs, not sure if she's met any children with CIs.

Do you really not understand the difference between a HA and a CI..?

When you are HoH a hearing aid will help you to hear. If your hearing loss is getting worse, you will need stronger HAs to hear... At some point, HAs will not be able to give you the ability to hear.
THEN there are different options...
  • You can continue to go through life without hearing.
  • You can investigate in getting a CI in order to start to hear again.

Often though people dont understand that there is hearing via a HA and hearing via a CI and that they are two very different things.

Yes, of course a hearing aid would be a better choice -- if there were a choice possible. But there isn't, they aren't interchangeable: a person eligible for a CI isn't able to benefit from a hearing aid.

How do you determine a 1-2 year old to be unable to benefit from a hearing aid?

:cool2:

However the end point is usually the journey that parallels these who disliked their experiences.

I am not. Just asking that question. It's valid, and you know it.

It's very valid. But it's been answered many times and you don't like the answers. Why don't you go back to one of the many threads in which the answer you didn't like was given? That way you don't have to waste time and space having the same conversation.

It's very valid. But it's been answered many times and you don't like the answers. Why don't you go back to one of the many threads in which the answer you didn't like was given? That way you don't have to waste time and space having the same conversation.

The answer is that you really don't know. And choose to implant anyways.

If they can benefit from hearing aids, let them be.

I'll throw myself out as an example, I benefit from hearing aids, and was offered "FREE CI" back then. Real talk.

Whats that?

Also what Kristina threw out there in another thread about doctors preferring her to have residual hearing to get CI's.

Just pointing out another flaw in what you are saying here....

Back