Cochlear Implants

Would you get cochlear implants today if you had the chance?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The younger person is, the faster they can learn and understand sounds. So if a baby got implanted, we deafies probably will never see them anywhere in the deaf community.
Just saying, doesn't mean I support it…
I rather not implant anything in my baby, not that I have a baby lol.

People will have a hard time trying to learn and understand vocals and a variety of sounds if they are already done with school.

I do think of CI implant sometime and do want it but always didn’t do anything about it.
I’m wondering if I am wasting my time with the process of making multiple appointments with different places for tests and bullshits and surgery shits, the recovery process.
I am 31 years old man, vocal speaking skill level is somewhere between over there in the back down in the shits and the displaced town of gibberish founded by founders who still have no idea where their builders' employees set up the town.

Nobody except god knows how long it will take me to get used to CI and understand vocals words and sounds.
I need to improve my speech skill out of the shit and bring them back to the founders of Gibberish so they can retry with a new town in the right place.

But now I am wondering what if im wrong... I could learn how to understand vocals word with ease, I could take advantage of that to grow my speech skill.

Oh I was a hearie when mommy pushed me out.
My hearing level went downhill slowly and become deaf when I was 3 maybe 4. Stopped using Hearing Aids when I was in 4 or 5 grade due to losting them all time costing too much money. Attempted at HA after graduation and didnt use them much because I keep hearing lot of nosies all the time nobody home all tv speaker phone etc r off. Uncle a hearie said he dont hear anything.
OH and the HA always makes that eeeeee hissing sound all hearies hates. Then one day I open the HA case to find out it's empty... yep lost it. :(

What do yall think? Should I get a CI? Or reattempt on the HA path?

3rd path is just speech classes or therapy or whatever its called. Plus lips reading. I cant read lips for shit. Its currently stuck with that skill back there in the shit.

Haha I start writing this comment with simple details and ends up quite different... I am cursed. Bye
Also if you see HOH people in the Deaf community, there's no reason why babies with CI won't grativate to the Deaf community. A CI CANNOT and does not allow for assimulation into the hearing world. That's just cruel to imply that.

Sorry 1st time posting... Dont want to hijack this thread

I've gone from normal hearing to completely deaf an balance problems 4 years ago... Which could only be described as possibly Meniere's disease although no confirmation.

Looking for awnsers as you would i started going through the cochlear implant system to just get some scans done... As the healthcare service doesn't seam to care about how i became deaf they push the fact its amazing to get a implant an get it done ASAP ....

Then things started to go wrong ... Because i started asking questions.... an i wasn't getting awnsers...

The implant team was getting.. Frustrated that i was asking so many questions... The reason being i can barley walk now an anything that will make that worse will possibly put me in a wheelchair....

They argue that none of my balance organs work now anyway

my physiotherapist explained that i am still getting some weak signals or i would be crawling about on the floor

The more i ask ...they more the implant team get anoyed.... If i didnt have any balance issues i probably wouldnt be asking so much.... But they have now permanently put me off a CI

I'd rather walk an be deaf then in a chair an hear.....

So as another poster pointed out... 'they dont care if it works or not' they just want the money.

Sorry 1st time posting... Dont want to hijack this thread

I've gone from normal hearing to completely deaf an balance problems 4 years ago... Which could only be described as possibly Meniere's disease although no confirmation.

Looking for awnsers as you would i started going through the cochlear implant system to just get some scans done... As the healthcare service doesn't seam to care about how i became deaf they push the fact its amazing to get a implant an get it done ASAP ....

Then things started to go wrong ... Because i started asking questions.... an i wasn't getting awnsers...

The implant team was getting.. Frustrated that i was asking so many questions... The reason being i can barley walk now an anything that will make that worse will possibly put me in a wheelchair....

They argue that none of my balance organs work now anyway

my physiotherapist explained that i am still getting some weak signals or i would be crawling about on the floor

The more i ask ...they more the implant team get anoyed.... If i didnt have any balance issues i probably wouldnt be asking so much.... But they have now permanently put me off a CI

I'd rather walk an be deaf then in a chair an hear.....

So as another poster pointed out... 'they dont care if it works or not' they just want the money.
Maybe at the clinic you went to, that's the case, but not all CI clinics are like that. Are there any other clinics "nearby" that you could go to?
There's a clinic about 10 mins from me, but I didn't trust them to have my best interest, so I go to a clinic that is a little over an hours's drive from me (though I usually take the train rather than drive).
I did not have balance issues before surgery and I do not have balance issues now. My first ear was implanted 6 years ago and my 2nd ear 18 months after that.

Ive already transfered from one place... This one is better than the last one but not by much

Also if you see HOH people in the Deaf community, there's no reason why babies with CI won't grativate to the Deaf community. A CI CANNOT and does not allow for assimulation into the hearing world. That's just cruel to imply that.
yeah you are right. it is cruel. I am not keeping my comment as my word. after reading some more, my options got changed.

Back