Cochlear Implants?

munchy609

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am not deaf but I'm writing a research paper about the deaf culture and community and how they feel about cochlear implantation. I need people's actual opinions to incorporate into my paper, so I'm asking for your help. Names will not be used, but please provide your age and where you're from.

Do you feel that cochlear implantation will eradicate the deaf culture?
Are you for or against cochlear implantation?
Please write your thoughts and anything else that you feel will help me.

-Biana

how old are you?
what course did you take?
did your teacher told you to focus on cochlear implant?
what is your goal of understanding the deaf culture better?
do you feel that my questions so harmless?

:aw:

how old are you?
what course did you take?
did your teacher told you to focus on cochlear implant?
what is your goal of understanding the deaf culture better?
do you feel that my questions so harmless?

:aw:

No, I don't mind questions. I'm 21 and an undergraduate student. I'm a Speech Pathology and Audiology student. I took courses on Audiology and have learned about cochlear implantation, HAs and other devices.
I saw the documentary, Sound and Fury, which led me to my research paper topic. For the purpose of my topic, I'm interesting on finding out how the deaf culture and community feels about, specifically, cochlear implantation. I'm not hear to start debates or arguments between people. I welcome all responses.
Thank you.

There are deaf people against CI and there are deaf people that are for CI.

This is just like there are senior citizens that support cars with turbocharged engine while other senior citizens want to outlaw turbo.

Enjoy the analogy :).

No, I don't mind questions. I'm 21 and an undergraduate student. I'm a Speech Pathology and Audiology student. I took courses on Audiology and have learned about cochlear implantation, HAs and other devices.
I saw the documentary, Sound and Fury, which led me to my research paper topic. For the purpose of my topic, I'm interesting on finding out how the deaf culture and community feels about, specifically, cochlear implantation. I'm not hear to start debates or arguments between people. I welcome all responses.
Thank you.

This is a duplicate thread, and that is not allowed.

Thank you.

Ohh, I appreciate your time. I understand where you are coming from.

i think i said enough for now because out there that hearing parents want to have their kids to have CI. All I hope is that the parents will learn ASL and make sure that deaf kids will have a normal life.

Last edited:
Sound and Fury is old. Did you know there is also a follow up to the Sound and Fury documentary? 10 years later? Look it up on youtube. The whole Deaf family from the documentary (except for the father) ended up getting cochlear implants.

Sound and Fury is old. Did you know there is also a follow up to the Sound and Fury documentary? 10 years later? Look it up on youtube. The whole Deaf family from the documentary (except for the father) ended up getting cochlear implants.

Yes I did, I watched it as well. Therefore, I'd appreciate everyone's opinions regarding their opinion about cochlear implantation.

yes and the wife stopped using CI. Aunt still use it whenever she feels like.

As to someone with an Implant NOT wanting to use-their choice. Why?

Easy not to "hook up" and experience silence! Assuming no "medical /physical counter indication" of some problem in continued using-"hard to understand-rationally"?

I am bilateral DEAF- since December 20, 2006

Last edited:
I am not deaf either, but a mother of a deaf toddler who isn't able to make choices for herself yet and these are my opinions. I hope to not offend anyone =x

Simple answer: No. From my understanding the majority of Deaf are born to hearing parents, and yes, unfortunately many of them seem to believe that CIs are a "cure" for deafness and pretend they are no different than a hearing child. In my opinion, putting CIs on doesn't make you any less deaf, just the same as changing your accent wouldn't make you any less foreign - it gives you means of better being able to communicate with the general public, but you are still you. Even if we as parents fail to instill a sense of pride and understanding in our children that they belong to the Deaf community and are still Deaf children, I think they will find it on their own terms as they grow and search for answers and a place to truly fit in.

For. I think everyone should have the opportunity to do anything someone else is doing - hearing included. Whether a person chooses to use CIs to access sound or not is totally up to them, but should most definitely be an option available. As for parents implanting their children at a young age, I think it's reasonable. Children are unable to tell you if they would like to be able to hear and the first 5 years are best for learning and understanding speech, so (((again - in my opinion))) it is completely understandable for parents to want it for their little ones. This way they can learn to use their CIs early, have a better understanding of spoken language, need to use less lip reading, and - if at some point in their child's life they do not wish to hear anymore and want to completely immerse themselves in the Deaf Community - they can turn it off. They are still Deaf no matter what hearing device they have, we are not taking that option away from them, we are giving additional options.

I believe basic ASL should be taught in grade school during English class to all students, regardless of whether or not there are any HoH or Deaf in the school. We encourage all of these children to learn basic Spanish because it is such a popular language in the US due to all of the immigrants, but we don't even bother to push ASL even though there are a large number of citizens who only or mainly communicate this way. It just doesn't make sense to me. Getting a CI or putting one in your child does not mean they will ever be completely fluent in spoken English either - maybe, but who is to say for sure? Wouldn't it be nice to take a little bit of the pressure off of them and educate ourselves.

Hello Everyone,

I am not deaf but I'm writing a research paper about the deaf culture and community and how they feel about cochlear implantation. I need people's actual opinions to incorporate into my paper, so I'm asking for your help. Names will not be used, but please provide your age and where you're from.

-Biana
If this information is for a paper I would be interested if the people answering are deaf or not. Not all people in the Def community are deaf..

Myself, I am the father of a child with CI, not part of deaf culture, so I can't help you..

If this information is for a paper I would be interested if the people answering are deaf or not. Not all people in the Def community are deaf..

Myself, I am the father of a child with CI, not part of deaf culture, so I can't help you..

FYI there's no such thing as a deaf community, since the goal of oral only is to assimulate dhh kids into the hearing world. So why would they need a community? I think you mean deaf POPULATION............and there have ALWAYS been children who do not sign.

sad to say that is inaccurate information.

you are serious? big serious! why not part on deaf cultures reason!

You can say Deaf community.

The word community has a bit broader meaning that "living together"

f : a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests <the international community>

Community - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

So, since all deaf everywhere most definitely qualify as "(deaf) persons
having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests" -
yeah, you can say "deaf community". Mos def :)

Fuzzy

I have CI and I'm annoyed by constant topic of CI itself. WHY one want to know my age? I'm in the 30-40 range thank you very much, even to this day 20 years later, audiologist office when I'm booked an appointment will always do this "to the parents of MotionInSilver" in their mail correspondence, its not as flattering when the gas station attendant cards you for trying to purchase lottery ticket.

I have CI and I'm annoyed by constant topic of CI itself. WHY one want to know my age? I'm in the 30-40 range thank you very much, even to this day 20 years later, audiologist office when I'm booked an appointment will always do this "to the parents of MotionInSilver" in their mail correspondence, its not as flattering when the gas station attendant cards you for trying to purchase lottery ticket.

to the parents of .... ouchie.

Ouch.....and yeah it says something that they don't expect implantees to be "independent" RME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back